New Pizza Mud Oven build. A few pics.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish I lived closer bro- we could get 10 people together, everyone pitches in for 25 bricks each (about $40), we build this sucker in a day- BBQ and drink our asses off the next day, and you keep the beast. That would be an awesome time

Oh, now you are just playing with my emotions...

I actually want it at the cabin on the Mississippi...you would have to include awesome scenic views, scantily clad wiminfolk and playing on the water.

That doesn't sound like it would hardly suck at all. View from front yard:
fromdoc1sm.jpg

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
At least I am good at it.;lol

Note: that view continues for 27 miles before you would have to lock through the dam to get a new view of many more miles.

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
Well, since this thread is still alive, here are a few pics of the roof. Pt corner posts, kild dried 2 x 4 rafters, and 1 x 3 strapping with white cedar shingle roof. I still need to cut the overlap on the top course and finish a custom venting cupola with ridge cap boards on each side of it. The weather is so unpredictable to finish it off, so it sits idle. I nailed a cut sapling to train a vine up the right front post to hopefully cover the corner and train it across the front. The plantings will fill in even more over the summer. I may incorporate some sort of slat bench to sit and feed the oven on the right side, or even a bench swing on chains. A five gallon bucket to sit on does not cut it. Besides bucket-butt hurts after a while of sitting there.

DSC01704.JPG

Detail shot of overhead wood storage that I built up. It holds about eight 5 gallon buckets of wood up there. All high and dry and the heat from the oven helps it along even more.

DSC01699.JPG

Rafter detail shot, still need collar ties before climbing the roof for the cupola.

DSC01700.JPG

View coming down from the neighbors yard. I tried to keep it as appeasing as I could to blend in with our plantings. DSC01701.JPG

Detail shot of the cedar shingle roof. By far the best part of the whole process. It brought me right back to when I was a kid and my dad was shingling his house. There is something about working with shingles and smelling the fresh cedar. I cheaped out an bought the "C" grade shingles. There were not re-cut and re-butted. There were a few with knots that will be kindling. If I had to do it again, I would spring for the "A" or "B" grade. I did a bit of edge hand-planing on the shingles to get them square. The shingles are neat to watch as they swell on rainy days and shrink and dry on sunny days. They should last many years nailed to strapping receiving excellent air ventilation.

DSC01703.JPG

Very nice Jon! If I am ever out your way I will have to look you up!

Ray

Hmmm...just thinking outloud...Do you mud slingers think this process would work in reverse to make something like the "Big Green Egg" or Kamado cooker??

From what I have read, Kamado cookers are ceramic and painted for weather. The cob used to build these ovens would break down from the weather over time. It is recommended not to paint cob ovens as steam from cooking will not escape and degrade the cob inside. There is also the inherent cracks that form on cob ovens. I carefully dried mine and fired it lightly, but it still formed hairline cracks.

Thanks guys. The door is always open for you fine folks.

Ha!....careful now Jon...you may wish you never said that to this freakshow
shot.gif laughing.gif

Man - that is some sort of sweetness right there. Right on in both categories of form and function. You should be proud.

Reactions: DexterDay
Jon only one thing I will suggest and that is to seal that white cedar roof as it doesn't have the rot resistance of red cedar..

Ray

Man - that is some sort of sweetness right there. Right on in both categories of form and function. You should be proud.

Well said.... That is a work of art. I would be very proud to say I did that...

It's not showing off..... When there is true skill involved. Very Nice.......

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Eatonpcat - thanks a bunch

Gamma - I met a bunch of you at Woodstock, and you're all good in my book. I just don't have Yuengling for you Pa. folks.;sick

Thanks Jags. The upper wood rack saved on space and is very functional.

Ray, did you use a product on your roof? This roof gets full afternoon sun exposure. It is so clean and fresh, I will miss it when it grays out.

Dexter - Thanks for the kudos. I'm one that appreciates art and skills. On this site I've seen stone walls, Bob Urbans knives, AP's pottery, Thistles woodworking skills,etc. I really like to see what others are up to in their projects. I hope people can enjoy the pictures and possibly get inspired to take the plunge if they can and build one.

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Eatonpcat - thanks a bunch

Gamma - I met a bunch of you at Woodstock, and you're all good in my book. I just don't have Yuengling for you Pa. folks.;sick

Thanks Jags. The upper wood rack saved on space and is very functional.

Ray, did you use a product on your roof? This roof gets full afternoon sun exposure. It is so clean and fresh, I will miss it when it grays out.

Dexter - Thanks for the kudos. I'm one that appreciates art and skills. On this site I've seen stone walls, Bob Urbans knives, AP's pottery, Thistles woodworking skills,etc. I really like to see what others are up to in their projects. I hope people can enjoy the pictures and possibly get inspired to take the plunge if they can and build one.
Jon,
My red cedar is unfinished and pretty much vertical. On the north shaded side moss grew like crazy and I got the house powerwashed. I would think a good stain sealer would look good but you will need to reapply every couple years after cleaning it.. Guess you better research what works best and lasts longest.. Good Luck!

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.