New product idea

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
After reading lots of questions on heat shielding, I wonder how a sandwich of two cement boards (hardiboard, durock, etc.) with an aluminum sheet core would perform. I'm thinking of applications like lining the inside of a fireplace, or a thinner hearth extension. Or, maybe even just a piece of cement board with a aluminum sheet applied to one side (the aluminum would face away from the heating appliance).

A sheet of 1" micore would make a better insulating lining.

A sheet of 1" micore would make a better insulating lining.
I was hoping that the aluminum would act as a reflector (like the "space age" survival blanket we had when we were in the Scouts). Wonder if the aluminum sandwich has ever been tested. It'd be thinner than an inch.

Plus, where the heck do you get micore, other than on the interweb?

Osburn, in their marketing materials says that their baffle material ("c-cast") was developed for, and used on, the space shuttle. Perhaps it's similar to micore?

Foils only help by reflecting radiant energy. If you sandwich it between anything solid, the heat will conduct through it as if it weren't even there.

Reactions: TheRambler
Foils only help by reflecting radiant energy. If you sandwich it between anything solid, the heat will conduct through it as if it weren't even there.
What about not sandwiching it, but just applying to one side? Same result?

The foil will reflect radiant heat that hits it. If it faced the stove, it would reflect heat back. If it f

Aluminum is a very conductor not insulator. That's why your beer warms up so quickly. :)
You'd be much better off with a honeycomb air break/gap.

Plus, where the heck do you get micore, other than on the interweb?

Why do you use the term "interweb" instead of "Internet"?

Just wondering.

Aluminum is a very conductor not insulator. That's why your beer warms up so quickly. :)
You'd be much better off with a honeycomb air break/gap.
I'd be worried that the honeycomb would melt and leave a sticky, waxy mess on my hearth.

And, that's why I always pour my beer into a cup now that I'm too old to shotgun it!

Reactions: ddddddden
Uhmmm..hoping you are either joking or drunk. More like this.

honeycomb-1024x512.jpg