New PSG Caddy Advanced

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

laynes69

Minister of Fire
Oct 2, 2006
Ashland OH
As some of you know, I finally decided to upgrade to a "smart" woodfurnace. The PSG Caddy Advanced has self regulated combustion, easy heat exchanger clean out, glass door and optional ECM blower motor. The unit is close to 900 pounds and is built like a brick shithouse.

The ECM blower is quiet and the furnace regulates for comfort and efficiency. If there's no call for heat, the blower will shut off and cycle on low to remove excess heat. The combustion air will go to it's cleanest lowest burn. If there's a call for heat the fire ramps up and the blower kicks into high. The home is much more comfortable with even heating.

The video below has 5 splits, loaded at 8PM last night (2.5 hours into the burn). This load lasted 8.5 hours. I woke up when I took this video and my air temps 7 feet from the plenum were 122 degrees in the main trunk.

20211024_191125.jpg

900 lbs...really?! Is that shipping weight?
Very nice...bet you'll love it!

900 lbs...really?! Is that shipping weight?
Very nice...bet you'll love it!
Maybe it's not quite that much. The site shows 705 shipping weight for the furnace plus the blower and housing. Either way it's heavier than the old furnace.

Reactions: brenndatomu
The sales flyer says it injects air at the end of the burn cycle.... is this just opening the draft or is the a fan to induce the draft? Can not find an video of some one explaining the features

That's a beautiful piece of equipment--some one will know about that supposed air injecting at the end of the burn...clancey

If the house calls for heat, during the coaling cycle (or end of burn) the air opens up below the grate. I've woke up thinking there was wood and flames in the firebox due to the heat output and fan blowing, just to find ashed over coals and a white glowing mound in the middle. I believe this is the same boost air at the start of the burn to get things going quickly. This is all natural draft, no draft blowers. The heat output is impressive.

Is there much difference between a Caddy PF1015 and the Advanced Caddy PF1020 if they are used as add on furnace?

I tried ordering an Advanced Caddy in August but no dealers or Distributor in Eastern Ontario knew anything about them or could order me one so I ended up ordering a Caddy Add-on ( if thing go as planned I may get to see it for Xmas!

The Advanced start feature seems almost like my manual timer I have on my current setup where I can select the thermostat ON for up to 15min to open the draft for lighting or restocking the fire ( limit upon prevents more then 15 min selection).
20211106_191323.jpg

Is there much difference between a Caddy PF1015 and the Advanced Caddy PF1020 if they are used as add on furnace?

I tried ordering an Advanced Caddy in August but no dealers or Distributor in Eastern Ontario knew anything about them or could order me one so I ended up ordering a Caddy Add-on ( if thing go as planned I may get to see it for Xmas!

The Advanced start feature seems almost like my manual timer I have on my current setup where I can select the thermostat ON for up to 15min to open the draft for lighting or restocking the fire ( limit upon prevents more then 15 min selection).View attachment 284938
The pf1015 is an on off system with the primary damper. When the button is pressed on the advanced, it opens the air at max and temporarily shuts off the blower to reduce smoke spillage. There's two internal thermocouples to regulate the fire for a clean burn unlike the PF 1015. One the fire gets hot the dampers automatically adjust . I'm not sure about the blower controls with the 1015, however the new Caddy has an option for a ECM blower. Very quiet and efficient.

Does the Advanced PF1020 have a blower into the combustion thru the dampers? I thought someone said that both just they used natural draft.

Glad to hear the Advanced has variable damper that could be more efficient.

To bad the Advancd install manual does not permit side entry of main blower air from another furnace in Serries ( only from the rear is approved according to SBI wen I called the Tech line)

Does the Advanced PF1020 have a blower into the combustion thru the dampers? I thought someone said that both just they used natural draft.

Glad to hear the Advanced has variable damper that could be more efficient.

To bad the Advancd install manual does not permit side entry of main blower air from another furnace in Serries ( only from the rear is approved according to SBI wen I called the Tech line)
No, the Advanced and all Caddy furnaces are natural draft.

The reason why the Advanced can't be installed in series is due to it's smart operation. Where the previous lines of Caddy's just had a blower on/off, the Advanced uses different blower speeds. The blower settings are based on condition of fire, the call for heat from the home and maximum efficiency. I opted for the ECM blower due to the lower operation costs, and its quiet.

Reactions: sloeffle
Both the Advanced Caddy and Caddy are approved in Canada for serries installation According to the install manuals.I'm in Eastern Ontario.

I can find mention of any requirment for variable furnace fan requirments (both manuals says you can not replace existing furnace blower motor, you may adjust speeds or pulley as required to get correct static pressure thru the Caddy's)

Both the Advanced Caddy and Caddy are approved in Canada for serries installation According to the install manuals.I'm in Eastern Ontario.

I can find mention of any requirment for variable furnace fan requirments (both manuals says you can not replace existing furnace blower motor, you may adjust speeds or pulley as required to get correct static pressure thru the Caddy's)
Hmmmmm, I see that now. I wonder if doing a series install affects the efficiency of the unit?

The Advanced has the option for an OAK. It seals and allows for 100% combustion air to be pulled from outdoors (5" line). Because I spent alot of time mid-winter/early tightening up the basement/sill and the barometric damper pulling air and minor leaks in the return air system, would I benefit with an OAK? @JRHAWK9, did you see a difference with yours?

The Advanced has the option for an OAK. It seals and allows for 100% combustion air to be pulled from outdoors (5" line). Because I spent alot of time mid-winter/early tightening up the basement/sill and the barometric damper pulling air and minor leaks in the return air system, would I benefit with an OAK? @JRHAWK9, did you see a difference with yours?
I am pretty sure I did. I know it did not make things any worse, that I can say for sure. It makes complete sense that if you are sending outside air up the chimney vs heated basement air, it will be of benefit. Although I have my OAK connected right to the BD itself. I have a large 6 or 8" duct feeding a tee. One end goes to the BD and the other is stuck in a 5 gallon pail on the floor to add any makeup air to the basement.

I just got done installing a 5" rigid galvanized OAK. We will see what happens, worse case I remove it.

I just got done installing a 5" rigid galvanized OAK. We will see what happens, worse case I remove it.

Did ya connect it directly to your BD? When I connected it to mine a couple years ago I just did it as an experiment thinking it would cause issues. I am going on my 3rd heating season now with it connected at all times. As long as there are no issues, it beats taking heated basement air and sending it up the chimney! :)

No, I won't connect to the baro. I just didn't want the combustion air competing with draft. It's now a sealed system. My heatpump water heater can have the excess heat!

In looking through the manual for the caddy, all it says for the ECM blower is one speed up to 875 CFM. Is it an infinitely varying blower speed based on the temperatures or are they select speeds? I can’t find anything specific in the manual about it.

The blower actually has 4 speeds. From the factory it's wired on low and the limit is wired on high. When the blower kicks on, it ramps up slowly to the set speed.

When the blower kicks on, it ramps up slowly to the set speed.
So the blower speed doesn't track with the plenum temp, like the speed control mod/hack on the previous models would?

So the blower speed doesn't track with the plenum temp, like the speed control mod/hack on the previous models would?
Not that I'm aware of. Maybe it was the same setup on the previous but worded differently. @SBI_Nick maybe can answer this.

Unfortunately, we had to change the blower speed management to adapt to the latest emission standard. As you mention the previous Caddy was changing speed according to plenum temp. In the Advanced as some of you said, the blower use only 2 speed. First speed during normal heating and speed 4 if there any overheating issue. Finally the kick in and kick off point will adjust according to the thermosat demand.

Thanks,

Reactions: laynes69