New Quadra Fire Santa Fe and large gaps around fire brick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mattwade808

Dec 1, 2009
Central IL
I have a 14 year old Santa Fe that does not have these glaring gaps that this newly installed stove does. Has anyone seen this before? It looks like it would just suck hot air directly through the gaps on the right side and out the exhaust. I don't know if these pictures do it justice but they were taken after install and before the first fire. It's burning now for the first time and when I shut it down I will take better pictures. Any input is greatly appreciated but I'm not very happy with the quality.
20230111_125053.jpg
20230111_125055.jpg 20230111_125101.jpg

It looks to me from the manual that the bricks (baffles) are just eye candy
and only serve the function of making the inside prettier. After all only one
bolt and slots and tabs hold it in place.
Then again I may be wrong

I believe that if there were no baffles then the heated air would just go right out the exhaust. With baffles, the air is directed to the upper left, over the heat exchanger tubes, then down through the exhaust port.

You are right
Just one suggestion
Read the whole manual
It can be enlightening
Mind you they do seem to have large gaps
Can't explain that

Reactions: mattwade808
You are right
Just one suggestion
Read the whole manual
It can be enlightening
Mind you they do seem to have large gaps
Can't explain that
Thanks for taking time to look at my post. I have read the manual and had the earlier version since 2009. I specifically looked at pictures of the brick in the manual and it does not show large gaps nor did my last stove have them. I'm asking if other owners have noticed a change in quality pertaining to Quadrafire

the gaps are normal. the brick are only decorative. the fire box is a solid steel box if you can see through any seams on the sides i would contact your dealer. the exhaust goes from the fire pot up to heat exchangers and then down heading to the combustion blower and out the chimney. if the gaps you see were actually an issue i would guarantee the stove would not fire up.

the gaps are normal. the brick are only decorative. the fire box is a solid steel box if you can see through any seams on the sides i would contact your dealer. the exhaust goes from the fire pot up to heat exchangers and then down heading to the combustion blower and out the chimney. if the gaps you see were actually an issue i would guarantee the stove would not fire up.
Thanks for your reply. I agree that it wouldn't fire up if it was leaking air to the outside, which it isn't. I'm saying the efficiency is suffering because heated air is going through the gaps and right out the exhaust. The brick is not just decorative. There's a large hole directly behind the one on the right for the exhaust and if not for the brick, all the heated air would go directly out and not over the heat exchanger.

I prefer a looser fit versus a tight fit on those. If they were a tight fit, they would be difficult to remove and clean behind. With my aging hands, sometimes I still have a hard time getting them out and in.

It would seem that you are not happy with your new stove.
Have you talked to the dealer about it?
what has he said?

on top of your brick baffles. is there a baffle on the top? hot air from the fire should go up then towards the front of the stove behind the upper baffle which transfers the heat to the convection tube's. then down to the exhaust chamber through the combustion blower and out the vent pipe. that is how they are supposed to work. if you are missing the upper baffle contact your dealer. the gaps on the rear baffle are the norm now.

Reactions: johneh