New record

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mnpellet

Burning Hunk
Jan 5, 2018
Northern Minnesota
37467523-F3F2-469D-8926-BAF8A2F812A8.jpeg Coldest day with the new woodstove! I think it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think your weather station is busted!!

WOW!

Amazing! Part of the amazement is the 120+ degree higher temperature inside. How do vehicles start in that kind of weather... is some kind of engine block heater necessary?

Amazing! Part of the amazement is the 120+ degree higher temperature inside. How do vehicles start in that kind of weather... is some kind of engine block heater necessary?

Yes. My diesel truck struggles to start if it's less than 20f outside, much less negative temps. I use the block heater when it's less than 20 for a few hours prior to starting the truck.

Nice! Which stove you have and how much space you heating?

My diesel struggles to start at -25°F without the block heater plugged in. That temp it would be no dice! Block heater is a necessity here.

Last edited:
Block heater or better yet in the garage! My truck has started at -30 without but much easier on it if it’s plugged in. Running ashford 30, heating little over 1700ft.

Time for a humidifier

Reactions: Zack R
19% is far beyond unhealthy for you, and any wood in your home, among other things. If the % or humidity is kept below 50%, even if you can get it to 30-35%, there should be no condensation problems, or there is other issues at play.

Below 50%, 19% is ridiculous. To each their own. Enjoy the shocks & sore throats.

I’m sure 50% works where you live. Most of the we are in the 20% range. This fall we were in the 40’s or higher. That would be more like your winter at that time.

You can google anything and find the answer you want, does not mean it is a good answer.
Ask any Dr. what complications can come from low humidity. It also dries out & inflames mucus membrane lining inside your respiratory tract Which leaved you more open to illnesses, colds, flu etc. And aids in their survival.

As I said, to each their own. Enjoy

You can google anything and find the answer you want, does not mean it is a good answer.
Ask any Dr. what complications can come from low humidity. It also dries out & inflames mucus membrane lining inside your respiratory tract Which leaved you more open to illnesses, colds, flu etc. And aids in their survival.

As I said, to each their own. Enjoy
2D1453CC-2449-4585-9253-F692FC86FC12.png So you disagree with everything I can find?

Last edited by a moderator:
When we lived in a properly cold place (currently it’s been around -30C for days, rarely passed -20C when we lived there, n.b. the preschoolers didn’t get to play outside after it passed -18C), we had city steam heating which was fabulous. Houses are built with thick walls! In the 70s new housing there went through a energy efficiency craze which was followed by a bunch of mold issues so they learned not to seal things up. So sometimes, too much humidity inside is a real problem.

When we lived in a properly cold place (currently it’s been around -30C for days, rarely passed -20C when we lived there, n.b. the preschoolers didn’t get to play outside after it passed -18C), we had city steam heating which was fabulous. Houses are built with thick walls! In the 70s new housing there went through a energy efficiency craze which was followed by a bunch of mold issues so they learned not to seal things up. So sometimes, too much humidity inside is a real problem.
Absolutely, that is why is must be kept below 50%.

View attachment 239325 So you disagree with everything I can find?
Yes, when a person is walking around getting shocked by everything they touch, waking up with a sore throat every day, wood inside the structure cracking, and prolonged illnesses. If your skin is drying out and flaking . All signs that you're living in an unhealthy environment of too low humidity. Try looking at what low humidity level does to your lungs and body.

If you are comfortable, and don't have those issues, then you may be right.
All In know is, at teens & single digits here, the place and myself dry out very badly. Took me 3 weeks to get rid of a cold, lingered on. Fire up the humidifier, was coughing less violently, and cold was gone in a few days.

I'll give you, that I don't experience -50% temps. Maybe -20 wind chill rarely, but not what you get.
Don't you get dried out?

Thinking about this, and the different situations, I will accept that you are right, for your conditions.
Admittedly, I can only speak for my area, temps, and house. I know the minute my hair is sticking to the side of my face, and everything I touch shocks the hell out of me, I have to fire up the humidifier.

So, you don't get dried out? No sore throats, shocks, static cling etc?
What about furniture and wood in your place, does it crack due to the low moisture content?

I learned something new today. So even if I made myself look like and ass, I still gained some knowledge. Thanks

Shock once in a while yes. But really no other problems. I would like to have a little higher humidity but keep it this low to prevent other problems later. Just going outside with this dry cold weather isn’t good but what can you do this is where we choose to live.