New roofing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

clancey

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2021
Colorado
Thread is interesting and I need a new roof too and "that's a whole new ball game." I do like the idea of that Grace product even if it is expensive and seems like a wonderful material to coat a roof with especially since it seals up sooo well...even when it has a tear or something that might hurt the roof without...At least that's what I read if I am understanding it right...clancey

I've used Grace Ice & Water Shield on top of roof decking in the last two houses I've replaced roofs on. My memory is that it added less than $1000 to the cost of my last roofing job, which I consider cheap insurance, even if it is under a high quality 30 year shingle.

Boy when I decide to do my roof--most of it is finish all except the A kind of steep deal in the front of a single floor old house which needs a new roof "yesterday" but its outdated with three layers on it and it has not leaked yet because I have a floor attic for storage and I check it often so I am waiting for awhile longer especially since I need to recuperate from this stove business and get ready for the winter that is coming in a few months...But I sure am going to look into that stuff and ask for suggestions at that time...everything else is roofed except that A Pitch Front that faces south on one side and north on the other and thinking about solar as well for that area...So a lot to think about here.. Thanks.. clancey

My new roof (finished on 7-6) is standing seam formed on site. This covers a IKO 30 year rated roof that is only 16 years old and started failing on year #2 after install. Yes it was properly done and there was a Class Action suit over it.
Anyway we covered the whole roof with I&W then the shingles. A month back when the roofer showed up I get a call asking if we used I&W on more than the drip edge. "Yes, the whole roof 100%" was my answer. As it turns out if the roof is stripped as was our plan you'll never get the I&W off and that gluey sticky stuff with run off the drip edges and down the valleys from the high temps.

No choice but to strip off the top layer of curled and busted IKO's the best they could and go over it with new synthetic felt and metal.
So, as much as I didn't want the old stuff under a new roof I had no other option other than removing the 5/8 sheathing.

• Wow
Reactions: begreen
That sounds terrible. What a nightmare.

BTW there are two types of Ice and Water Shield, low temp for shingles and high temp for under metal roofs to deal with that problem.

It's all so complicated right now about roofing...and my friend told me that those beautiful stones (roofs)(do not know the name) but very pretty like tiles on top of one another--she said they get bees and wasps under them and they crack too...I think they are beautiful and look old fashion shakers or something...Don't really know much about roofing other then feeling sorry for the roofers in hot temperature and cold as well.. A whole new learning curve here especially with solar being added on to it.. clancey

BTW there are two types of Ice and Water Shield, low temp for shingles and high temp for under metal roofs to deal with that problem.
Ya. Today there is. :)

Never actually started this new thread but its good that it started and I think it was a shorten portion off of another thread "somewhere" maybe I changed the original thread topic or followed someone who did--don't know and who cares anyway...Now Bad LP you gave some good negative information about the "gluey stuff" and this is good for with my brain I need all the help that I can get about "roofing".. About five years ago (guessing this) I got a estimate of "just the peak" for $13,000 and I thought this was way high and I am going to take a picture of the peak and be right back...Its hard to take a picture of a roof and I hope you can see the damage plus the outdated shingles from many many years ago...Now the bottom portion is new as you can see in the picture where the stove pipe is and my garage is new as well but the peak of the roof needs some help and it does not "leak" just yet and I have been putting it off because of the expense. The size is 23x15 in that area and my mind is now on it...Shame on you people for making me think about my needed roofing but the thread is here now so what do you all think and is a $13,000 estimate for just the peak a good estimate from five years ago--about...clancey
Picture 5 and 6 is the good roofs but picture one is the peak and those vacant shingles go all the way around that part of the roof especially the crest on top..clancey

Attachments

• roof peak area 008.JPG
    roof peak area 008.JPG
    208.7 KB · Views: 128
  • roof peak area 006.JPG
    roof peak area 006.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 129
  • roof peak area 005.JPG
    roof peak area 005.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 129
  • roof peak area 002.JPG
    roof peak area 002.JPG
    194.8 KB · Views: 129
The only way that roof would be $13k around these parts is if you used some super premium materials...or just got a good old fashioned screwing...

I totally agree with you and this was from 5 years ago this estimate...so now I will get new estimates from new companies as well--thanks..clancey

Agreed, that's a high estimate. Who put the bars on the house? Are there a lot of break-ins in the neighborhood?

Not necessary but if I take a nap in the afternoon time I want to feel safe with the window opened because they are low to the ground and the neighborhood here are working people and there are a few houses with bars on the windows and in my block about four or five houses mostly seniors just to feel more secure...if you can call it that...The name of the company is called Artistic Iron and on Monday they will be here to put the bars that I took off back on the new back porch windows that is now called "The Stove Room.."--has a nice ring to it..Thanks for the help..clancey

Pay me now or pay me later scenario. You may save some labour money by leaving the existing shingles, but you will definetly pay a premium the next time someone re roofs and has to remove 2 layers. Also going over top of existing could shorten the life of the new roof. Here, you never see someone go over top of existing g unless it's a weekend warrior/home owner that's shy about the extra work of tear off.
I'm not sure what your referring to about around the pipes? Seeing your in England, maybe it's something I've never seen before. Here we have size appropriate flashings for most penetrations.
I guess I should ask if your referencing asphalt/fiberglass shingles or wood shingles as well?

Re:no response: It's not yet one day...

You should remove the shingles. The added weight is not good for your roof. The nails of the original shingles tend to pop out after a while thru the second layer of shingles. Don't ask me how I know.

The warranty is less as you say, but also less reliable (roofing company is going to be less permanent than the shingle mfg; the former goes bankrupt more often than the latter, so the warranty of the latter is more reliable).

A good roofer will add boots to the pipe. They won't (shouldn't) leak.

Reactions: tlc1976
jcarrick welcome to the forum. I know very little about roofing and here in the states people need to be real careful and for me I need to do my do diligence in even deciding on what roofing material that I want to put on the roof.. When I had a portion of the back roofed I asked the man if he needed to put some plywood 4x8 down first and he looked at me like I crazy and his reply was---you have three layers of roofing that I took off and I had a hell of a time because the wood when they built the house was so good that I could not even get the roofing nails out of it and should charge you more money as well for this type of labor that I did not count on...but he was a nice man and finished the job and did a good job as well...Right now I am just patching my roof if need be for I can totally check it out for I have flooring and insulated walls in the roofing area and I use it for storage with regular steps going up to the area and I check it out when it rains or snows--so I am just in decision making at this point in time..The roofing that I did have done--the garage and back of the house is called Duration Premium Shingles and the color is Sierra Grey and was put on about 10 years ago and I think I paid about 7000.00 but not sure for I cannot find the bill..The stove room roof is not shingles because it has only a slight slant and this was done at that time too. It was a open porch area for many years with river rock on the ground...I enclosed it just this year..So I have not decided on a roof for the peak just yet and might not never decide--lol old mrs clancey

Rip them off. It’s always the best option.

Reactions: Highbeam
I’m not a pro and I believe in ripping off the old roofing. That way you can find any damage from leaks like rotting wood. If I’m going through that effort and expense I want it done right. Also gets rid of dead weight. Since snow load is a concern at least here, that dead weight would lessen my snow allowance.

Reactions: stoveliker
Tear them off. No good can come from burying old shingles.

Yup tear it off and get the roof deck in good shape, frequently folks stretch a roof and the underlying sheathing can get rotten. You may not see if if you leave the old shingles. Once the deck is in good shape then apply ice and water shield then the shingles of your choice. If you have vent pipes buy new flashed rubber boots.