New Saw - thanks for the great info

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Longsnowsm

Oct 11, 2014
Missouri Ozarks
Ok, It is official... I need to stay OFF of THIS FORUM! Between stoves, axes, and now this... A new saw... you guys are killing me! Thanks for all the great feedback in this forum. I have been reading every post on axes, and saws trying to get a handle on what I needed. Last year I had anticipated buying a wood stove so I began to try and get some gear.... That was before I began reading the forums to get a better idea what I needed. I had bought a Poulan Pro without really doing my homework last year and now I have some regrets. So many other projects have taken priority to this point that I haven't had the opportunity to get out and use it on our property yet.

So this year I just bought the stove, and started to review what I have and what I needed. The more I read about the saw I bought the more I became concerned. I hope I will get some use out of that saw for limbing and quick work, but I will have to wait and see I guess. I may just give that saw to my son.

Well I started reading here about the saws. Talk about a heated topic with lots of passion. I would love to get a nice pro saw, but I am not a man of means to be able to swing such a thing at this point. I see that it might be possible to buy a used pro saw in my price range, but finding one in good shape that someone hasn't abused looks like something that is difficult for us who are the novices to figure out. So I preferred to look for something new. I knew I didn't want to buy something that would end up being a problem.

Thanks to all the threads here I decided that the Echo CS-590 seems like a very good saw from what I have read and the price seemed good. So I went looking for a deal on one. Found a new CS-590 with free shipping on eBay for $340. Didn't think I could beat that with a stick! So I pulled the trigger and it is on it's way here...

Now hopefully I have my cutting needs out of the way for a while until I can afford to finally get a splitter. Also thanks to you guys I have already ordered my maul, splitting axe, and short splitting axe for my splitting needs. Thanks again for all the great feedback here on this forum.

What else will I need to get for this saw to get it ready for some cutting? It is a 20" bar. Thanks again!

Reactions: Babaganoosh
You think that's bad, due to internet forums I now have 2 pro saws, an ideal steel hybrid being delivered next week, a 5 by 10 trailer, a DHT 27 ton splitter, a 5 ton electric splitter, a trailer dolly, 3 more gas cans, 2 extra bars, at least 5 extra chains, few files and guides, Stihl kombi system with 2 attachments so far, Remington pole saw, splitting ax, 2 hand axes, extra sledge, 2 wedges, crappy harbor freight chain sharpener, and a backyard whose perimeter is stacked wood.

Oh and I only bought the house last year. It came with a Russo coal and wood stove from 1980. I had a poulan saw as well when I moved but that was just coincidence. It all started with me googling how to run a wood stove. I ended up here. Thank god I don't have a wife yet. The gf is quite cool with my addiction surprisingly enough. Who do I send the bill to?

This joint has cost me a fortune. I won't even start on the list. <>

Before you buy anything else, get good PPE.

I highly recommend some chaps from Labonville. They are cheaper than an ER visit, and it only takes a second for a spinning chain to catch you. Safety glasses, hearing protection and gloves are important too.

That's what you want before you get going.

Otherwise, I say a means to sharpen your chain, a small jug for mix, some plastic wedges, a used paint brush to clean off the saw when you are done.

Get a spare chain or two, so you have one to swap out, and one to compare to for sharpening :)

For 20" chains, you can sometimes find guys or rental shops selling their dull ones. You have to work on them to get them in shape but they are cheap....

I am thinking that we should partly send the bill to Google! LOL Holy moly, congrats on the new Ideal Steel! That is the stove I hope to put in the house when we get it built. It is really one sweet stove for sure!

This forum will have you spending money like there is no tomorrow! :) Anyone new to the forum reading this... RUN, LEAVE WHILE YOU STILL CAN! ROFL

I've been very happy with my 590. It's been a great saw so far. I think you'll find it a good investment. If you don't already have a spare chain or two and the right sized file, pick those up. I also keep a spare plug for everything I own around. Just how I role...

Reactions: Longsnowsm
Get some decent 2 cycle oil to mix with your gas. Get a DEDICATED 1 gal gas can for your fuel mix, so you don't mistakenly feed it straight gas. A gallon of bar oil (you can get Echo oil at Home Depot).

Another very dangerous forum is Arboristsite. You can find lots of reasonably priced used pro saws there, in a variety of conditions. It's rare to read of a problem seller on that site. Most folks seem pretty decent, and just love saws.

Since we're talking about gas cans, get a NoSpill. Yes, it costs more than you're used to paying for a gas can, but it's totally worth it. The valve and narrow spout make it easy to control the flow when filling small tanks. The 1.25 gallon size is convenient for topping it off with exactly one gallon of new gas before you completely run out. It's different enough from the can you probably use for your 4-stroke lawn mower that you won't easily confuse them.

Since we're talking about gas cans, get a NoSpill. Yes, it costs more than you're used to paying for a gas can, but it's totally worth it. The valve and narrow spout make it easy to control the flow when filling small tanks. The 1.25 gallon size is convenient for topping it off with exactly one gallon of new gas before you completely run out. It's different enough from the can you probably use for your 4-stroke lawn mower that you won't easily confuse them.

NoSpill is my least despised new style gas can. It actually works pretty well, with only a minimum of hassle. I have the flexible extension on mine, so I can use it to refuel cars & whatnot.

I have spilled more gas and made more messes since they started messing around with gas can designs than I ever did with the plain old can with spout. At some point I expect them to do an about face and finally admit they cannot engineer a solution that works better than just paying attention... Then again I may just be dreaming there... :) It is sort of like dietary advise... they eventually figure out all the stuff that was bad for you really wasn't... :-D

I have spilled more gas and made more messes since they started messing around with gas can designs than I ever did with the plain old can with spout. At some point I expect them to do an about face and finally admit they cannot engineer a solution that works better than just paying attention... Then again I may just be dreaming there... :) It is sort of like dietary advise... they eventually figure out all the stuff that was bad for you really wasn't... :-D

Sorry, but you're definitely dreaming. Remember - the gas can changes were the result of government mandates. When have you EVER seen the govt admit that they'd made a mistake? Nope...they'll just add more laws.

+1 on the 1.25 gallon NoSpill for chainsaws and similar OPE.

Make sure you get then newer design with the white view stripe down the side.

Reactions: Ashful
Another vote for PPE. Get yourself a pair of chaps and use them. Eye protection, hearing protection and at least a cheap pair of leather gloves. All that great gear you bought does you no good when you're laid up. Note... A chainsaw cuts flesh even better than it cuts wood.

+1 on the 1.25 gallon NoSpill for chainsaws and similar OPE.

Make sure you get then newer design with the white view stripe down the side.
Hold it there... these NoSpill cans are the bees knees for filling my Stihl saws, but are a guaranteed problem with my Echo and Husqvarna saws. On the Husqvarna (T435 new in 2013), the nozzle just BARELY fits in the filler hole, making it impossible to fill without overflowing. Their video showing how the nozzle prevents overfilling doesn't seem to work for me, as I overflow that damn little saw on every refill with this can. On my Echo 510EVL, the nozzle wouldn't even fit in the tank filler hole, making it impossible to use this can without a funnel, although maybe Echo has increased their filler hole size in newer saws.

My recommendation, only buy Stihl, and then you can use the world's best gas can to fill it. [emoji12]

Reactions: Jon1270 and Jags
Use 93 octane fuel!!
I use Sunoco gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.