New stihl pickup may have got jipped.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rippinryno

Feeling the Heat
Nov 23, 2015
united states
Paid $75 for a stihl today that didn't run. I pulled the muffler before I bought it and it looked ok. Also pulled it to start it and it was free.....thought it would need a tune up. Well after further inspection the piston is damaged as is the cylinder. I took some pics and tried to clean it to show the damage. I will upload them later. Not sure what happened on this one I could not see the damage because it's on the sides of the piston. Only noticed it from looking down spark plug hole after I got home. Both sides of the piston have deep gouges that look identical

What's the model #?

That sucks that piston is trashed. The AM parts machine isn't as prevalent for the MS270. If it's only the P&R, a Golf kit costs ~$30. I don't know if they are any good, tho.

Cylinder got torn up so I'm searching for the whole top end am kit
Does it have a decompression valve on it? I wonder because on my MS390 the decompression valve came apart and some of it fell on top of the piston, luckily I discovered it before it did any damage. Just a thought.

Randall

No decomp valve. I find it weird that the marks are identical on both sides on the piston but the exhaust and intake are fine. The ring gap pins are still in the piston and the rings are all in tact except there the gouges went through. Very weird. I double checked to make sure the ring gap tapers are facing down...is that right? I can't recall off hand if they taper down or up?

Usually the pin is at the top of the ring groove, so the ring is longest on the bottom. So, you could say...the taper curves upward. But it's easy to answer "is this correct?" upon eyeballing it. If the ring is upside down, it won't seat because the long ends of taper will be on top of the pin.

I would guess maybe the pin retaining clips have come loose. That would be my only guess as to why it's on the sides opposite the intake and exhaust only. Possibly been rebuilt before and they were intalled incorrectly? I remember reading somwhere where stihl or husky had a manufacturing issue where the ring clips wouldn't stay put also.

Maybe pick up a cheap compression gauge and bring with you in future. I've done that when buying things second hand. Has saved me from a couple bad ones !

Status
Not open for further replies.