New Stove and Operator NNY....are there quality pellets available?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambient

Feb 18, 2015
I can see Ontario from NNY
We live in the tri county area of St Lawrence, Jefferson and Clinton. Can anyone point me to some of the better pellets. I'd like to try a few of the better one's before the end of the season. So when I order some tonnage I don't end up with tons of headaches. We get our first stove tomorrow.:cool:

Your best brand and location?

Oh lord! Hope you have a book ready! Essex pallet and pellet in keysville NY had some good ones this year. Its small local company. In my area is Ambiance, Turman, cubex. The others are all about the same in my area. I am near Glens Falls, NY.

OK found these on local advice: 25 bags of each

LG Premium wood pellet
Associated Harvest aka Empire Pellets

Oh lord! Hope you have a book ready! Essex pallet and pellet in keysville NY had some good ones this year. Its small local company. In my area is Ambiance, Turman, cubex. The others are all about the same in my area. I am near Glens Falls, NY.

Where are you finding Turman in the GF area ???

Do companies deliver pellets by a minimum tonnage? Are there supply companies that I should look at?

Ambient, Depends on your local area my area because I am so remote they won't, but go down south of me and its a $40 per ton delivery. To bring 7 tons to where I am they charge 200, so in that case maybe worth it. You are talking $329 a ton for Hamers and La Cretes before delivery.

Ambient, Depends on your local area my area because I am so remote they won't, but go down south of me and its a $40 per ton delivery. To bring 7 tons to where I am they charge 200, so in that case maybe worth it. You are talking $329 a ton for Hamers and La Cretes before delivery.

I know Rutland well. I help build a few homes in the area and it was our base of operations during the ski season. It's way too far for me. Burlington is about an eight hour round trip from here.

You want remote ;lol almost half my town doesn't use modern plumbing or electric.

OK I have a hardwood and also a softwood pellet I can work with, carried by local distributors. However two other names popped up, both manufactured within a few hours of here.

CURRANS: three versions

NEW ENGLAND: one version

opinions/experience anyone?

Currans blend was really crappy for me this year. Sure, it will heat okay (not HOT, but okay, and better than some I've burned), but massive and heavy ash. Last year's Currans were much better. I believe someone on the forum was burning this year's soft wood Currans and was happy with them.

NEWP - burned a couple of tons last year and they were okay to good. However, don't have any experience with this year's offering.

Currans blend was really crappy for me this year. Sure, it will heat okay (not HOT, but okay, and better than some I've burned), but massive and heavy ash. Last year's Currans were much better. I believe someone on the forum was burning this year's soft wood Currans and was happy with them.

NEWP - burned a couple of tons last year and they were okay to good. However, don't have any experience with this year's offering.
I just called and the local distributor only handles the blended and the straight hardwood pellets. We'll get ten bags of each and give them a run. Unless someone knows of a distributor of the softwood pellets up here?

I just had a very pleasant chat with the Curran factory. The softwood pellets aren't available in the winter because they take too much time to produce. Their current production runs are with hardwood. They stated that the softwood is their best pellet with less moisture and ash. I can get softwood pellets from them directly @ $320 per ton in the summer only. Right now they don't even have three to five bags for a sample run.:confused: I certainly would like to test drive them first before sinking a ton into a ton.:p

Empire Hardwood are $286.00 per ton this year
Curran Hardwood $245
Curran Hardwood blend $255
Curran softwood $320* in the summer only
LG softwood $295

Hmm, the LG's are available now for $295 a ton, I'm happy with those....he's got 39 tons on hand. I can get all I want now, of a pellet that is working for me.....what to do? Should I wait and pay more? :cool:

Many vendors run sales in late spring or summer. One I know of has a 20% off sale on pellets during a weekend in April. FSU's are selling for $4.98 a bag right now so I'm holding tight. One mild winter will settle the market down nicely. Where's global warming when you need it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ambient
Many vendors run sales in late spring or summer. One I know of has a 20% off sale on pellets during a weekend in April. FSU's are selling for $4.98 a bag right now so in holding tight. One mild winter will settle the market down nicely. Where's global warming when you need it.
I'll watch for that also, as the LG dealer said he needs to move any pellets left ( of his 39 tons in stock now) outside after the heating season. I can't imagine finding a softwood pellet on sale here unless some fellow members nearby pipe up with their sources.

My local farm supply store has been selling pellets for years and I had no idea, well I didn't need any either. He carries Maeder Brothers from Michigan at $245.00 a ton. I've seen reviews on both ends of the spectrum, does anyone have a more recent opinion. The list reflected several posts from 2012. Yesterday I bought two bags, and will give them a spin. I also got a some of those equine bedding pellets from TSC just to see what the discussion has been about with those.

You have discovered a great secret but don't tell anyone else on this board. ;)
There are vendors that sell pellets around you that few know about. I just learned that the nearest hardware store five minutes away from my home has been selling Maine Wood Pellets for over nine years. The manager told me they have never run out of pellets, even this winter or last, and their price is reasonable. No sign out front but their customers know. There are grain feed stores, agricultural outlets, small family-run hardware stores, etc selling pellets. My local Agway stores (several) sell high end pellets and aggressively seek out sources to make sure they always have stock. They didn't run out this winter or last. Even my local Mom & Pop grocery store has had two pallets in their parking lot all winter, just as they did last year. When someone buys them, there are two more in the parking lot within the next couple of days. Have some fun and hunt around and tell us what you find.

Status
Not open for further replies.