New stove: Enviro Mini or Lopi AGP stove ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JB711

Nov 3, 2014
Duluth, MN
First of all, I'd like to say, these forums have been a great tool for helping me research and narrow my choices down to the Enivro Mini and Lopi AGP stove.

My home is about 1500 sq feet on a single level, w/ a forced air geothermal heating and cooling system (which works fantastically, but we really miss having a fire.) The "great room" where the stove will be located is about 700 sq ft.

Our priorities are backup heat, (I will get a battery backup), ambiance (we want a good looking flame), noise level (quieter the better), and ease of operation and maintenance (cleaning is not an issue for us)

Our Pro's/Cons about each stove:

AGP:
great looking flame / large glass area (dealer demo'd it for us)
The pellet cutter to rduce the chances of burnback
The look (it is my wife's favorite)
cleaning access appears to be easier
seems quiet
Pellet cutter is another motor/parts that can fail
about $400 more than the Mini

Enviro Mini:
Price (about $400 less)
less moving parts
similar heat output
research indicates this is a solid stove
large glass area
Haven't viewed the flame look (only on youtube, hard to tell)
burnback possibility
more of a utility look (I'm ok w/ it, but the Lopi does look better)

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. We are looking to make our purchase this week.

Thanks!

I don't have experience with either stove so I'm no help there ... For my husband and I, looks were a part of the equation, along with BTUs, safety features, etc. You will be living with this stove for years so you and your wife should not discount looks ...

Reactions: JB711
First of all, I'd like to say, these forums have been a great tool for helping me research and narrow my choices down to the Enivro Mini and Lopi AGP stove.

My home is about 1500 sq feet on a single level, w/ a forced air geothermal heating and cooling system (which works fantastically, but we really miss having a fire.) The "great room" where the stove will be located is about 700 sq ft.

Our priorities are backup heat, (I will get a battery backup), ambiance (we want a good looking flame), noise level (quieter the better), and ease of operation and maintenance (cleaning is not an issue for us)

Our Pro's/Cons about each stove:

AGP:
great looking flame / large glass area (dealer demo'd it for us)
The pellet cutter to rduce the chances of burnback
The look (it is my wife's favorite)
cleaning access appears to be easier
seems quiet
Pellet cutter is another motor/parts that can fail
about $400 more than the Mini

Enviro Mini:
Price (about $400 less)
less moving parts
similar heat output
research indicates this is a solid stove
large glass area
Haven't viewed the flame look (only on youtube, hard to tell)
burnback possibility
more of a utility look (I'm ok w/ it, but the Lopi does look better)

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. We are looking to make our purchase this week.

Thanks!
I have an Avalon APG which is the same exact thing as the Lopi with a different door style. It was installed in September of this year. I have a 2600 sq ft house with a large great room( 50x25 and 23 foot ceilings) I heat with propane and my average is $1,000 a month to heat at 60 degrees. We have been running the pellet stove and it keeps the house a cozy 72 and it has actually brought it up to 79 when I forgot to lower the thermostat. I have been using New England Pellets. We keep the setting on medium or medium high and the blower on full. The main issue I have had is the use of the wireless thermostat and understanding that it doesnt work exactly like the house furnace. There is a 2 degree swing. and there is also the start up time and the burn down time. Most of the time the stove works awesome. Every now and then the stop button flashes and I have to press the Tstat button again to get things moving. We keep our furnace on 60 as back up and we now use the pellet stove as the main heat. It has been 7 years since I have had over 60 degree heat. I AM LOVING IT There just limitations and nuances

Reactions: JB711
I have an Avalon APG which is the same exact thing as the Lopi with a different door style. It was installed in September of this year. I have a 2600 sq ft house with a large great room( 50x25 and 23 foot ceilings) I heat with propane and my average is $1,000 a month to heat at 60 degrees. We have been running the pellet stove and it keeps the house a cozy 72 and it has actually brought it up to 79 when I forgot to lower the thermostat. I have been using New England Pellets. We keep the setting on medium or medium high and the blower on full. The main issue I have had is the use of the wireless thermostat and understanding that it doesnt work exactly like the house furnace. There is a 2 degree swing. and there is also the start up time and the burn down time. Most of the time the stove works awesome. Every now and then the stop button flashes and I have to press the Tstat button again to get things moving. We keep our furnace on 60 as back up and we now use the pellet stove as the main heat. It has been 7 years since I have had over 60 degree heat. I AM LOVING IT There just limitations and nuances

That's great to hear! How has it been so far regarding cleaning? It sounds like you run it a lot, do you clean daily, 2x's a week, weekly?

That's great to hear! How has it been so far regarding cleaning? It sounds like you run it a lot, do you clean daily, 2x's a week, weekly?
I do the basic of scraping the ashes from the burn pot every couple of days and 1 x a week a more thorough cleaning

I do the basic of scraping the ashes from the burn pot every couple of days and 1 x a week a more thorough cleaning
I think once it gets colder out I will leave it on all the time and regulate the heat manually from medium to medium high and even high if I have to. I have 6 1/2 toms so I should be good for the season

Consider your backup heat case thoroughly. A battery bank is quickly drained. I have a 1500 watt ups (basically the biggest non-rack standalone tower on the market) with 2 8.4 A/h batteries in it and it lasts about 45 min with some room to spare to turn it off and get the smoke out of the house. If you're going to modify one to use larger deep cycle batteries, keep the charging portion in mind and that you shouldn't charge with the lower rated internal ups charge controller on the larger batteries. And then consider that the batteries shouldn't be in the same room as the stove while charging (gases).

A generator is still your better bet for long-term backup power.

Both stoves are pretty solid contenders and are popular here. If the dealer services both, you're in pretty good shape. A dealer relationship is very important.
IMO, go for looks and research costs of replacement parts (gaskets, etc) that you will eat through from time to time
Also consider the installation and clearance to the exhaust clean out, etc. position of things may be a deal breaker.

Can't make a direct comparison as I have no experience with the enviro, I have the Lopi AGP insert in a zero clearance former fireplace, Pluses are it tolerates nearly any pellet (hence the agp \ all grade pellet) designation. I am using an inexpensive rite temp programmable T-stat with adjustable swing, I have it set to 1.5 degrees currently as it is not too cold out yet, will adjust to 2 deg later in the season, the T-stat I have is mounted somewhat behind and to the right of the insert, the coldest spot in the room according to the installer, if I want the stove t-stat to match my hydronic system stat, I have to adjust the stove T-stat to + 2 deg. Right now I have it shut down to 60 deg at 11PM and back to 68 at 6:00 am etc, never been warmer, used to 62-65 deg when I was buring oil, 70 to 72 is the norm now, bi-level home, open floor plan upstairs Kit, LR DR shotgun hallway with bath + 3 bedrooms, when the LR etc are 71-72, the bedrooms and bath are about 68. the LR has a modest cathedral ceiling. the entire upper level with the stove is 1600 sq ft, I am a happy camper with the AGP overall. be sure to find a dealer that stands behind the product and can provide the first yearly major cleaning and is willing to teach you how to do that yourself, a major cleaning costs nearly as much as a pallet of pellets when done by a dealer from what I have heard.

Consider your backup heat case thoroughly. A battery bank is quickly drained. I have a 1500 watt ups (basically the biggest non-rack standalone tower on the market) with 2 8.4 A/h batteries in it and it lasts about 45 min with some room to spare to turn it off and get the smoke out of the house. If you're going to modify one to use larger deep cycle batteries, keep the charging portion in mind and that you shouldn't charge with the lower rated internal ups charge controller on the larger batteries. And then consider that the batteries shouldn't be in the same room as the stove while charging (gases).

A generator is still your better bet for long-term backup power.

Both stoves are pretty solid contenders and are popular here. If the dealer services both, you're in pretty good shape. A dealer relationship is very important.
IMO, go for looks and research costs of replacement parts (gaskets, etc) that you will eat through from time to time
Also consider the installation and clearance to the exhaust clean out, etc. position of things may be a deal breaker.
Battery back ups are important. I have a small apc that will cover any small electrical blips. Only lasts about 15 minutes. I also have a generator so on Saturday we lost power. I hooked up the generator and I was back in business.

Battery back ups are important. I have a small apc that will cover any small electrical blips. Only lasts about 15 minutes. I also have a generator so on Saturday we lost power. I hooked up the generator and I was back in business.
no problem with the modified sine wave of your generator? what stove do you have?

no problem with the modified sine wave of your generator? what stove do you have?
I have the Avalon APG. I have no idea about a problem with a modified sine wave. I started the generator, plugged in the stove and it worked as advertised??? What should I be looking for??

Nothing it would seem, search some of the battery backup threads here some stoves control boards don't like modified sine A.C. input. I have a lopi / Avalon also,,, would
Like to Know what genny your have as I am in the market for one

Nothing it would seem, search some of the battery backup threads here some stoves control boards don't like modified sine A.C. input. I have a lopi / Avalon also,,, would
Like to Know what genny your have as I am in the market for one
I have a
Generac 5747 XG8000E 8,000 Watt 410cc OHVI Gas Powered Portable Generator with Wheel Kit And Electric Start

Glad I read your rrply
, post: 1799640, member: 36740"]I have an Avalon APG which is the same exact thing as the Lopi with a different door style. It was installed in September of this year. I have a 2600 sq ft house with a large great room( 50x25 and 23 foot ceilings) I heat with propane and my average is $1,000 a month to heat at 60 degrees. We have been running the pellet stove and it keeps the house a cozy 72 and it has actually brought it up to 79 when I forgot to lower the thermostat. I have been using New England Pellets. We keep the setting on medium or medium high and the blower on full. The main issue I have had is the use of the wireless thermostat and understanding that it doesnt work exactly like the house furnace. There is a 2 degree swing. and there is also the start up time and the burn down time. Most of the time the stove works awesome. Every now and then the stop button flashes and I have to press the Tstat button again to get things moving. We keep our furnace on 60 as back up and we now use the pellet stove as the main heat. It has been 7 years since I have had over 60 degree heat. I AM LOVING IT There just limitations and nuances[/quote]
Glad I read your reply. I am having the same problem right now on my lopi agp that was recently installed. The t Stat stopped working and the stove shut down without reaching the targeted temperature. This also happened on Monday of this week. I had the heat output on high, wondering if that causes the problem. I will be contacting Travis Industries to get some info. Other than that I have owned this insert for 3 weeks now and I am pleased except for the 2 incidents with the tstat.

Glad I read your rrply
, post: 1799640, member: 36740"]I have an Avalon APG which is the same exact thing as the Lopi with a different door style. It was installed in September of this year. I have a 2600 sq ft house with a large great room( 50x25 and 23 foot ceilings) I heat with propane and my average is $1,000 a month to heat at 60 degrees. We have been running the pellet stove and it keeps the house a cozy 72 and it has actually brought it up to 79 when I forgot to lower the thermostat. I have been using New England Pellets. We keep the setting on medium or medium high and the blower on full. The main issue I have had is the use of the wireless thermostat and understanding that it doesnt work exactly like the house furnace. There is a 2 degree swing. and there is also the start up time and the burn down time. Most of the time the stove works awesome. Every now and then the stop button flashes and I have to press the Tstat button again to get things moving. We keep our furnace on 60 as back up and we now use the pellet stove as the main heat. It has been 7 years since I have had over 60 degree heat. I AM LOVING IT There just limitations and nuances
Glad I read your reply. I am having the same problem right now on my lopi agp that was recently installed. The t Stat stopped working and the stove shut down without reaching the targeted temperature. This also happened on Monday of this week. I had the heat output on high, wondering if that causes the problem. I will be contacting Travis Industries to get some info. Other than that I have owned this insert for 3 weeks now and I am pleased except for the 2 incidents with the tstat.[/quote]
When you looked at the control panel was the red stop light flashing? That is what happens to me. I have to hit either the tstat button again or the start button depending which is or isnt flashing...happens periodically. Please let me know what Travis says...I had assumed that the stove senses a fault somewhere...I had mine on medium and medium high...

GTstat b read your reply. I am having the same problem right now on my lopi agp that was recently installed. The t Stat stopped working and the stove shut down without reaching the targeted temperature. This also happened on Monday of this week. I had the heat output on high, wondering if that causes the problem. I will be contacting Travis Industries to get some info. Other than that I have owned this insert for 3 weeks now and I am pleased except for the 2 incidents with the tstat.
When you looked at the control panel was the red stop light flashing? That is what happens to me. I have to hit either the tstat button again or the start button depending which is or isnt flashing...happens periodically. Please let me know what Travis says...I had assumed that the stove senses a fault somewhere...I had mine on medium and medium high...[/quote]
The stop light was on. When I went to press the tstat button it would not light. I pressed the start button and the tstat still would not light. When I tried to press stop again that too would not light. The stove was just on and fired up. I called the dealership but none of the knowledgeable personnel was in. After a while I pressed stop and this time it lit up as well as the tstatt light. the stove just completely shut down so now i will restart using the tstat. Hopefully this works, but I want to know why the tstat stops. Calling travis now. Will keep you informed.

When you looked at the control panel was the red stop light flashing? That is what happens to me. I have to hit either the tstat button again or the start button depending which is or isnt flashing...happens periodically. Please let me know what Travis says...I had assumed that the stove senses a fault somewhere...I had mine on medium and medium high...
The stop light was on. When I went to press the tstat button it would not light. I pressed the start button and the tstat still would not light. When I tried to press stop again that too would not light. The stove was just on and fired up. I called the dealership but none of the knowledgeable personnel was in. After a while I pressed stop and this time it lit up as well as the tstatt light. the stove just completely shut down so now i will restart using the tstat. Hopefully this works, but I want to know why the tstat stops. Calling travis now. Will keep you informed.[/quote]
I had this happen once....I had to unplug the unit and wait a minute...I then plugged it back in and it seemed to work ok. But it has happened since then as I have described above...red stop light flashing

We returned to the dealer, and this go around our salesman was busy with other customers so we got someone new. Our new person just happened to be the install and repair tech for the dealer. He had nothing bad to say about either stove, and was an owner of the Enviro Mini. After bouncing several questions off him regarding both stoves we decided to go w/ the Mini due to it's slimmer design, (it will fit better in our great room) and in reality it was about $1000 less than the AGP.

Thank you all for your replies! ... we are excited and should have our new stove up and running in a few weeks

image.jpgIt's finally in! We've got some fine tuning to do. But so far we love it. We elected not to go with outside combustion air at this time, and it has greatly improved our moisture issues in the house, (we have no air exchanger.) I may add outside air later if performance is an issue.

Edit: any opinions yay/nay on outside combustion air would be most welcome.

Last edited:
Looking good and hoping you're enjoying the heat:) Please put a surge protector on that stove if you don't have one...

Status
Not open for further replies.