New Stove - First Fire - Smoke Smell in House

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sesro1978

Dec 23, 2008
Vermont, USA
Hi-

Just fired up the new Jotul F100 last night for its first break in fire - this went very smoothly. I noticed this morning that the house (downstairs where the stove is located) smells a bit like woodsmoke.

Being new to wood stoves and burning wood in general, I'm not sure if this is to be expected.

The set up is this: Stove, top exit to about 4' of double wall, then 90 degree bend out the wall, then a cleanup tee, then up about 20' to just above our home's roofline (this is on the gable end).

Thanks for any info!

Is it a wood smoke smell or something different? Most likely this is the paint and oils breaking in. Continue with the breakin process as described in the manual. Once the stove has been run at a stovetop temp of over 500º for an hour or two the odor will diminish. In the meantime open a nearby window.

the first time I had a fire in my encore, we had guests over for cocktails by the fire. That was a bad idea! Smoke filled the house, the fire alarms went off, and we all ended up standing outside to avoid the stink!

Is it a wood smoke smell or something different? Most likely this is the paint and oils breaking in. Continue with the breakin process as described in the manual. Once the stove has been run at a stovetop temp of over 500º for an hour or two the odor will diminish. In the meantime open a nearby window.

It smells like woodsmoke/campfire smoldering...if that makes any sense. I didn't remove the ashes from last night's fire from the firebox, so maybe still some warm ashes in there? Air control was closed to let the fire last night burn down and go out.

It smells like woodsmoke/campfire smoldering...if that makes any sense. I didn't remove the ashes from last night's fire from the firebox, so maybe still some warm ashes in there? Air control was closed to let the fire last night burn down and go out.
Since its still relatively warm out I wouldn't be surprised if your smelling a result of a weak reverse draft, stove in the basement?

Reactions: webby3650
Since its still relatively warm out I wouldn't be surprised if your smelling a result of a weak reverse draft, stove in the basement?

^ This. +1

the first time I had a fire in my encore, we had guests over for cocktails by the fire. That was a bad idea! Smoke filled the house, the fire alarms went off, and we all ended up standing outside to avoid the stink!
You’re first fire should have made little to no smoke in the house. Cast iron stoves should be put through a few progressively hotter break in fires. The first one should only about 200 degrees.

My stove is in the basement and if I leave the pipe damper open with no fire in the stove, I'll get the smell in the basement. It's just backdraft coming down the pipe. Sounds like you have the same issue I do but its fine as long as I shut down the pipe damper.

That could be - seems to have dissipated over the past couple of days. Stove is on the first floor in the living room.

Is the chimney 3 feet above the roof and 2 feet higher than anything within 10 feet? I noticed you said just above roof line. Wondering how far “just” is?

Yes, sorry for not being clear. It is 3' above the roof line and nothing within 10' of the chimney.

The best wood for the break in fire is the pallet the stove was shipped in.

Finished the break in fires over the weekend. That new stove smell has been subsiding and no campfire smell since the first one. I did notice a little clicking/metal sound coming from the stove last night. I'm assuming that's the metal in the stove expanding as higher temperatures are reached?

Also, I have my stove thermometer (Condar Inferno) on the front right corner of the stove; is there a better location for this that will provide more accurate readings? I ask this because the top of the stove is bumpy/lattice-patterned...

Your stove will always make noises of heating/cooling metal. Smell should subside and draft issue will also subside as temps get cooler and finally cold to burn normally. Anything above 60 in my book is risking draft issues although it can be done to much higher temps...

You’re first fire should have made little to no smoke in the house. Cast iron stoves should be put through a few progressively hotter break in fires. The first one should only about 200 degrees.

we did some smaller break in fires, but we did still get some smoke from the pipe and the stove. It also probably had to do more with the outside temps and draft than anything else.