New stove for next year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Markgonzo

Hearth Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Indiana
I am thinking about purchasing a new stove for next year. I would like to know what stove has the largest firebox capacity with north south loading and only requiring a 6 inch flu.

Several big box stoves in that category. The Pacific Energy Summit, Englander NC30, Avalon Olympic, Quadrafire 5700 are some.

I looked at the The Pacific Energy Summit, Englander NC30, Avalon Olympic, Quadrafire 5700. It seems that the Quadrafire has the deepest fire box for north south loading. Is there any other stove that has the north south loading with the largest firebox depth.

For what it is worth, use 16" splits and any of the stoves will do a great job. Try stuffing 18" or larger splits into a stove N/S and you get nothing that you are going to like.

And a 3.0 or larger firebox full of 16" splits N/S is a hell of a lot of BTU's.

americanhearthtech said:
id go with the quadrafire, they have some good deals going through till the end of may, i think you get 400 off on the 5700 and on top of that, it qualifies for the tax credit

Cool. Please point us to where Quad says that they certify that their stoves qualify for the tax credit.

Todd said:

Not even 1% official.

"If the IRS accepts the recommendations of the Hearth, Patio & Barbecue Association and the Environmental Protection Agency, we have determined that the following products will meet or exceed the guidelines*"

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, what a merry Christmas it would be. :lol:

Yup. :lol: Is that what Pappy always used to say?

Thanks for the input. I ended up going with the Quadra-Fire 5700 because of the ease of the north south loading with a 24 inch log capacity and 3.44 cubic foot firebox. I decided to purchase it now since they are running deals. I will let you know how it goes in the fall since it is the end of the season for burning.

BrotherBart said:
Todd said:

Not even 1% official.

"If the IRS accepts the recommendations of the Hearth, Patio & Barbecue Association and the Environmental Protection Agency, we have determined that the following products will meet or exceed the guidelines*"

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, what a merry Christmas it would be. :lol:

That has been my take on all of this as well. A few of the manufacturers (QF, WS, etc.) are really over selling this tax credit thing. I really wish they would wait because nobody has all the details at this point and the consumer usually doesn't notice the "ifs" and "buts" in these statements...

It would be good for the IRS to get this list published now. They are only adding confusion to the marketplace with the delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.