New stove has 6" collar, old stove has 8"...can I use an increaser to the same chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stadacona

Sep 4, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Hi All,

This is a great site! I have a 700 square foot log cabin that has a very large older Kanata woodstove that overheats my little place and burns a load of wood in 2 hours and I would like to replace it with a smaller epa stove (thinking of the Drolet "savannah"). My current stove has an oval collar into an 8" stovepipe but the new stove is a 6" collar. I was wondering if I could run 6" stove pipe and then use an increaser into the chimney? The pipe and chimney run up through the single-story vaulted ceiling and currently has two 90 degree bends. There appears to be pretty good draw now but I am worried that the draw would suffer if I went from a 6" pipe into the current chimney. The chimney is a relatively new insulated one but Im not sure if it is 8 or 10" inches. I will measure this weekend. I assume they would run 8" stovepipe into a 10" chimney but am not sure.

If I have to run 6" all the way up and out..can I run a flexible liner up through the current insulated double wall chimney?

Thanks,
Darren

Before anyone slaps me for not doing any reading...I just checked through and saw an answer below that suggested it was ok to go from a 6" collar to an 8" install right at the stove. Would that be better than running 6" stovepipe and doing the increase higher up at the connection to the chimney? I only ask because Im going to replace the stovepipe anyways as it is past its prime and it would look nicer if I could run the 6" up to the chimney. Also, should I use double wall or single wall pipe inside the cabin?

Thanks again.

Darren

We pretty much beat this subject to death just a day or so ago, and the conclusion was that yes, it's OK to increase from 6" to 8". I think if I were doing it, I'd run 6" single wall up inside the cabin, and increase to 8" where it joins the chimney...tough to say without being able to really visualize it, though. 2 90's is not an ideal installation, but maybe you have to live with it, dunno. A pic would sure help. Welcome to the forum! Rick

Agreed, your intuition is correct. A short stack with a couple 90's and increased pipe size can lead to smoke spillage when the stove door is opened. If the old pipe is questionable, do it over in new 6" and have peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.