New stove hearthstone vs quadrafire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankluk

Aug 17, 2015
New york
I am in the market for a new stove. I have an open floor plan and an upstairs that heats flows up to. I have about 2400 sq feet. I've been to a few dealers and they are suggesting the hearthstone Clydesdale and the quadra Fire voyager. Any experience with these?

Welcome. Both are good inserts. There are several threads by owners on each of these inserts. Use the Search... box in the upper right of this page to search for reviews and discussions on each.

Welcome to the forum!

Those are inserts; does that mean you have a masonry fireplace to put them in? Both are good inserts; some people here consider the Clydesdale one of the prettiest inserts on the market. It is usually quite pricey though. Both have around 2.4 cu ft in firebox size. Unless your home is well insulated or the insert is only for supplemental heat they may be a bit undersized for 2400 sqft. For that area an insert/stove with a 3 cu ft firebox is recommended.

Do you have any dry wood (less than 20% internal moisture) yet? If not you will struggle to run your insert this winter, no matter which one you will get.

Welcome to the forum!
Those are inserts; does that mean you have a masonry fireplace to put them in? Both are good inserts; some people here consider the Clydesdale one of the prettiest inserts on the market. It is usually quite pricey though. Both have around 2.4 cu ft in firebox size. Unless your home is well insulated or the insert is only for supplemental heat they may be a bit undersized for 2400 sqft. For that area an insert/stove with a 3 cu ft firebox is recommended.

Do you have any dry wood (less than 20% internal moisture) yet? If not you will struggle to run your insert this winter, no matter which one you will get.
Yes I have a fireplace and an old shendoah insert (probably 30yrs). I use as a supplementaL heat source and looking to reduce my oil bill. The current unit is not efficient and burn time is about an 1hr. Eek!! I have two cords split and stacked.

2 cords is a good start but you may want more. What will be really different is how much those modern inserts rely on dry wood to burn efficiently. If you have not done so it is about time to get working on the cords for the next winter. You will be rewarded by heat, burn time, and a flame show you never experienced with the Shendoah.

Did the stove shops tell you how important a full (insulated) liner is? And insist on a proper block-of plate: https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/make-a-damper-sealing-block-off-plate/

Status
Not open for further replies.