New Stove Installation Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lakesman

Sep 21, 2010
DL, MN
I'm planning on installing a woodstove in our house this fall and have a few installation questions. I purchased the house about 5 years ago and had the chimney inspected last spring to make sure it was safe to attach another stove to.

Anyhow the previous owners finished around the chimney (probably after they removed their woodstove). I cut out the sheetrock and discovered the stovepipe hole to be 7" in diameter when I was expecting it to be 6" (the chimney is block with a clay flue). I'm planning on using double wall 6" stovepipe for my install and was wondering what I can do to safely connect it to the existing 7" hole that is already in the chimney.

You don't say what size your flue tile is, but if it's too big,
you might consider inserting a stainless steel liner with a tee
down to your thimble location & running your connector pipe to the tee snout.
You can fill the area between the connector & the thiimble with rock wool
or furnace cement or refractory mortar & cover it with a trim collar.

Are you sure he didn't have a pellet stove?

No not you, the previous owner. ;)

7"s is a weird size, all I could think of is that he had a 4" pipe and took out 7"s of material so he could run the pipe in there and caulk around the sides of it. But, I've been wrong before.

I'm about 99% certain that it was a woodstove and not a pellet stove.

It appears the inside width of the flue tiles are about 7"

Thanks for the feedback so far

I went on the roof and the outside diameter of the flue is roughly 8 1/2" with an inner diameter of a tad over 7" (closer to 7 1/4") in case this helps at all? It is also a square flue with inner and outside rounded radiuses.

I have now removed the sheetrock and the framing that surrounded the chimney to get a better look at it. My plan is to put metal studs and vented durarock on the remaining two walls so they are protected. I've attached a pic of what it looks like.

I'm not 100% certain still what is the best/safest way to downsize the 7" hole to a 6". Do I remove the metal sleeve that is in there now and go back to bare block and put in the correct size sleeve and fill in the 1" gap with some kinda epoxy cement, mortar, etc?

The 7" hole is on par with the 7" inside flue diameter...but I'm still not sure why they went with a 7" instead of the std. 6".

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• SAM_0194 [1280x768].jpg
    SAM_0194 [1280x768].jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 270
I inserted the wrong pic. As you can see there is just a metal sleeve in the block that leads up to the flue cutout. There is no clay thimble of any kind installed.

Attachments

• SAM_0195 [1280x768].jpg
    SAM_0195 [1280x768].jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 262
Normally a simple 6 x 7 increaser would work. However, the main issue appears to be the proximity of the wall on the left. Double-wall pipe is 6" to combustibles. Single wall pipe has a clearance of 18" to combustibles. With wall shield that can be reduced to 6", but it looks like that will be tight. This double-wall increaser fitting may help:
http://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5SE-DSP-I67

several companies make an increaser for 6-7. Selkirk has one for their double wall pipe (if thats what you plan on using), looks like part # DSP167

Ok gotcha...Yeah that wall on the left is just sheetrock with 2x2 studs over the basement wall. If I put 1 5/8" metal studs on the exterior of that wall with durarock would that open up any options for me?

Then to even add to the entertainment they must have changed their mind on where they were placing their outlet midway through putting up the chimney. This is located two blocks below the current semi useable outle. See the attached pic. What would/should I fill that in with?

Attachments

• SAM_0192 [1280x768].jpg
    SAM_0192 [1280x768].jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 284
lakesman said:
Then to even add to the entertainment they must have changed their mind on where they were placing their outlet midway through putting up the chimney. This is located two blocks below the current semi useable outle. See the attached pic. What would/should I fill that in with?
proper size can + urethane caulk rated for concrete adhesion

lakesman said:
Ok gotcha...Yeah that wall on the left is just sheetrock with 2x2 studs over the basement wall. If I put 1 5/8" metal studs on the exterior of that wall with durarock would that open up any options for me?

That certainly would make it kosher. It doesn't have to be the whole wall, just where the double-wall pipe is 6" or closer to combustibles. If using double-wall and the pipe comes immediately away from the wall on it's way down to the stove. then I would just add a metal wall or pipe shield at the thimble area.

lakesman said:

QuickCrete.

BeGreen said:
lakesman said:

That certainly would make it kosher. It doesn't have to be the whole wall, just where the double-wall pipe is 6" or closer to combustibles. If using double-wall and the pipe comes immediately away from the wall on it's way down to the stove. then I would just add a metal wall or pipe shield at the thimble area.

Yeah actually the stovepipe will go parallel with that wall for a distance before it heads downwards toward the stove. I'm using a pre UL rated stove so my clearances need to be quite excessive.

BeGreen said:
lakesman said:

QuickCrete.

Ok yeah i was thinking along those same lines also. Would it be advantageous to not crete right up to the outside surface of the flue tile?

Thanks for all the replies.

Ok now what is the best way to put a 6" chimney connector into the 7" chimney connector that I have? I was hoping to find something that i could do that was economical and safe if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.