New stove owner here, have a few questions.........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trailrated

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Dec 8, 2009
Maryland
Greetings everyone!

I just found this site yesterday and decided to join. Seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people here so I have a few questions for you all.

I have a lot to discuss, so I'll try to keep it short. I bought an Englander 13NCT and installed it in my finished garage. This is my first real experience to wood burning. Well the manual that came with it is for 30 and 50 series models and describe the operation of it as if it has a draft control beneath the ash drawer. Well, mine doesn't have a draft control, only an air inlet control above the door. So if any of you have this model or a similar stove please chime in. I am having a hard time getting good fires going with it and I'm not sure sure if the lack of bottom draft control has something to do with it. The hottest I've been able to get it is 350 degrees. That was measured with a chimney thermometer 3 feet from the top of the stove. I can not keep it there for optimum performance. I am burning semi- seasoned wood. I realize that this can be contributing to part of the problem. The wood has been down for at least 2 years, just not cut and split until recently. I did get some wood from the local Amish that advertised it was seasoned wood, but I don't think it is. Its not that good dry brown color.

So my first question is, whats the best way to operate this stove without a bottom draft control? Second, my best fires have been using one of those "show logs" that give the effect of a burning log. The wrapper says it burns cleaner than wood but not to use it in woodstoves. Why so?

Lastly, The install is 17 feet of pipe straight up. Black pipe up to the ceiling, then class A through the attic and out through the roof. The Stove has a ceramic fire stop board beneath the top of the stove above the stainless air tubes. My chimney is to tall to simply remove the cap and look down to check creosote. So when I brush it, any creosote will fall down on top of this plate. I'm not sure how to get it out short of disconnecting the pipe which will not be an easy task.

Well, thats keeping it short, if I wasn't clear on something, please ask and I will elaborate further.

Also: As I was typing this I started a fire with one of those "show Logs" and added some kindling. The thermometer read near 450 which is the hottest I've had it and I got that new stove burn off smell. I thought I was past that :( Anyhow, if I close the door tight and shut the air down, the fire will snuff out. Because of this I haven't been able to get long efficient burns.

I can't comment on the stove but it sounds to me that your wood isn't really seansoned.Try to get a good bed of coals going then put on some splits and leave the draft open a bit.With the wet wood you'll have to keep the stove burning hotter to keep the wood going.Hope this helps.

http://www.englanderstoves.com/manuals/13-NC.html

This has the manuals for both types.

I agree that it sounds like wood is the issue with starting the fire. Split some of the wood you have down and you should have an easier time. Moving the thermometer down will hep give you a better reading too.

Matt

350 temp 3' up the pipe sounds about right. Put that same thermometer on the center of the stove top and see what you get. I bet she's cruisin along at 400-600 with that pipe temp?

What is the recommended height the flue thermometer should be from the top of the stove?

Also try smaller splits 2-3" diameter till you get a good coal bed established.

trailrated said:
What is the recommended height the flue thermometer should be from the top of the stove?

18-24" for stove pipe and it's also good to have one on the stove top.

EatenByLimestone said:
http://www.englanderstoves.com/manuals/13-NC.html

This has the manuals for both types.

I agree that it sounds like wood is the issue with starting the fire. Split some of the wood you have down and you should have an easier time. Moving the thermometer down will hep give you a better reading too.

Matt

Hey Thanks! I looked on their site and somehow missed that manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.