New stove recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Johnlh

Feb 26, 2023
Montana
Hey folks.

We are starting our build in SW MT this spring, and I'm looking for recommendations on new stoves. This will be used in a single level, 2700sq ft home, with radiant floor heat as the primary heat source. I've used wood stoves all my life, but only older, less efficient stoves. I'm looking for a non-cat stove that will be sufficient for our home, no soapstone. We would prefer a high quality pedestal stove. Most of the online reviews are for box store models. What else is out there?

Reactions: WoodStoveFan
The stove location, floor plan, and house design will have a lot to do with stove choice. Tell us a lot more about the house.

There will be a centrally located great room with cathedral ceilings, with 3 bedrooms all coming off of it. The stove will be located close to center of the great room. Ceiling and exterior walls will have 2in closed cell foam and fiberglass batt, so well insulated and sealed. SW facing, with lots of windows.

Like I said, the radiant will be our primary heat source, and the stove will be supplemental in the evenings or colder times. But I would like a unit large enough to keep us comfortable in case of power outages.

And include what part of the house you aim to heat with the stove; 2700 sqft single floor will be impossible to heat with a single space heater (aka stove).

Definitely go large. There are good choices from Lopi, Pacific Energy, Quadrafire, Ironstrike (Country line), in the ~3 cu ft size range. This will need ceiling fans or most of the heat will pocket up at the ceiling peak. Heating during a power outage might be challenging unless the cathedral ceiling is open to a loft area. That spot will be the warmest.

Reactions: Slocochef
I'll look into those. We have a few local fireplace shops around that usually sell nicer stoves as well. Ceiling fans are a must have, as we won't have AC either. We have a backup genny, but I absolutely despise writing checks to the electric and gas companies. We built a 40x60 shop, with a 4/12 pitch and 2in closed cell insulation. Currently heating with a Century from the 90s that is leaky as can be, but has kept us comfortable in -35 this year.

Hey folks.

We are starting our build in SW MT this spring, and I'm looking for recommendations on new stoves. This will be used in a single level, 2700sq ft home, with radiant floor heat as the primary heat source. I've used wood stoves all my life, but only older, less efficient stoves. I'm looking for a non-cat stove that will be sufficient for our home, no soapstone. We would prefer a high quality pedestal stove. Most of the online reviews are for box store models. What else is out there?
You may want to check out the GAP 2020 Newest Rocket Stove on the market gravity feed runs on pellets heats well over 2000 sq. ft. Its the only EPA certified rocket stove out there that I am aware of. burns pellets but has to be installed with a Class A chimney because of the heat it generates.

For your situation I would look for a strong radiant stove like a Woodstock Ideal Steel. The more radiant the better for a large area with high ceilings. There aren’t many true radiant stoves out there anymore, most are built with shielding or jackets for closer clearances. Other stoves to look at are the Jotul F500 and I believe Drolet has a radiant stove but I don’t recall the model.

And include what part of the house you aim to heat with the stove; 2700 sqft single floor will be impossible to heat with a single space heater (aka stove).
I can't agree to this statement. We heat 6300 sqft (3150 main 3150 basement) with a single 3cuft firebox. Our winters would be very similar to yours in NY if not slightly colder. We are using a PE fp30. The basement heat dump is super important for our situation and it is the primary fan 90% of the time. Our furnace does not run, this year I didn't use the furnace fan for circulation and I didn't notice any difference without it. I'm using about 5 cord a year to heat this house. Without the basement heat dump I think(know) we would overheat the main floor often. House was built 2017/18.