New stove top temp!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oldspark

With the new chimney I hit 690 on the stove top (checked with a IR tester) this morning with 5 small pieces of Oak, she was a hummin so this winter should be good as long as the wife remembers to keep the summit under control.

You gotta love it when a plan comes together!

Guess the new chimney was worth it?

pen

Crap, now what are we going to have to complain about? It gets too hot? LOL :) Just kidding ya Sparks.

Yes Pen the chimney was well worth it espically since the other one needed repaired or replaced anyway, and I know you guys will miss my complaints about the new stove, the too hot thing just might work. :)

Awesome! Another example of how important a good flue is with these new stove. I'd imagine it'll get even better once the temps come down. Were your flue temps also better? I "think" I remember you having an issue with those as well.

Good to hear, but we still need a report on stove and flue temps every 5 minutes for a 12 hour burn. ;-)

rdust said:
Awesome! Another example of how important a good flue is with these new stove. I'd imagine it'll get even better once the temps come down. Were your flue temps also better? I "think" I remember you having an issue with those as well.
Yep the flue temps are lower now than the stove top in all most every case, before my flue temps were in the 700 to 800 range with the stove top at 500 or so on start ups. Its funny you talk about a good flue with these new stoves, I dont consider my old flue "bad" but it sure did not let the stove work correctly.

Todd said:
Good to hear, but we still need a report on stove and flue temps every 5 minutes for a 12 hour burn. ;-)
I will have to work on that one. :cheese:

Glad to hear you have it working good oldspark. Bring on winter now!

You're breaking into the oak supply already . . . how cold is it out your way OldSpark? Here in Maine it's actually been unusually warm . . . I've just been doing one or two fires in either the morning or night to take the chill out of the house . . . been burning up my chunks, punks and uglies and conserving the good stuff.

oldspark said:
rdust said:
Yep the flue temps are lower now than the stove top in all most every case, before my flue temps were in the 700 to 800 range with the stove top at 500 or so on start ups. Its funny you talk about a good flue with these new stoves, I dont consider my old flue "bad" but it sure did not let the stove work correctly.

Seeing is believing. I know you were frustrated last year with this problem. The solution seems bass-ackwards but it works.

I went through a similar thing before I put my liner in. Then i bought a fiskars axe to prove everyone wrong as there was no way that thing could work so well and I was wrong again. Then I purchases supercedars, then I tried top down fires, then I turned my fan around, etc. etc.

It's amazing how putting some bright people who are willing to experiment together on this site has changed lots of homes.

Next time this happens to a new person I'm sending them your way. :)

pen

firefighterjake said:
You're breaking into the oak supply already . . . how cold is it out your way OldSpark? Here in Maine it's actually been unusually warm . . . I've just been doing one or two fires in either the morning or night to take the chill out of the house . . . been burning up my chunks, punks and uglies and conserving the good stuff.
Test run with the Oak and they were small branches, I can get all the Oak I would ever want so I burn it when ever the mood hits me. It is in the 20's at night and 50 or so in the day.

pen said:
oldspark said:
rdust said:

Seeing is believing. I know you were frustrated last year with this problem. The solution seems bass-ackwards but it works.

I went through a similar thing before I put my liner in. Then i bought a fiskars axe to prove everyone wrong as there was no way that thing could work so well and I was wrong again. Then I purchases supercedars, then I tried top down fires, then I turned my fan around, etc. etc.

It's amazing how putting some bright people who are willing to experiment together on this site has changed lots of homes.

Next time this happens to a new person I'm sending them your way. :)

pen
No problem as I will remember the details for a long time. :lol:

oldspark said:
With the new chimney I hit 690 on the stove top (checked with a IR tester) this morning with 5 small pieces of Oak, she was a hummin so this winter should be good as long as the wife remembers to keep the summit under control.

It's amazing the difference after a reline on a chimney. My Keystone was not burning as advertised, blackening the glass, etc., but when we relined with a 6 inch insulated liner (rigid in this case), the difference in performance was dramatic.

Enjoy the heat!

Bill

oldspark said:
firefighterjake said:
Test run with the Oak and they were small branches, I can get all the Oak I would ever want so I burn it when ever the mood hits me. It is in the 20's at night and 50 or so in the day.

Ah . . . 20 degrees . . . brrr . . . I don't think we've even come close to hitting those types of temps yet at night.

OK. Who is this really? And what did you do with oldspark. I am calling the cops right now. :mad:

Yep the flue temps are lower now than the stove top in all most every case, before my flue temps were in the 700 to 800 range with the stove top at 500 or so on start ups.
I posted quite exstensively about my flue temps last yr. Actually complained about how low they were all the time. Interesting how yours has come down after lining.

oldspark said:
rdust said:

Glad to hear that your stove is working well now. As noted, the flue is half of the combustion system. It is the engine that pulls the oxygen into the fire.

I should have put a straight up metal chimney in the house when I had it built 34 years ago but the metal pipes had not proven themselves yet. It sounds like lillyrat who had the same problem I did is still struggling with his stove's top end temp.

wkpoor said:
Yep the flue temps are lower now than the stove top in all most every case, before my flue temps were in the 700 to 800 range with the stove top at 500 or so on start ups.
I posted quite exstensively about my flue temps last yr. Actually complained about how low they were all the time. Interesting how yours has come down after lining.
Your low flue temps with the old Nashua still have me baffled and I think the one you sold did the same thing for new owner, do you have normal flue temps with your new stove?

BrotherBart said:
OK. Who is this really? And what did you do with oldspark. I am calling the cops right now. :mad:
It's still me but if I have more problems I promise not to whine so much! :roll:

This solution has been brought to you by Hearthdotcom.

Hearthdotcom - where it is acceptable to stare at your racks.

Status
Not open for further replies.