New stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SpaceBus

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2018
Downeast Maine
After a month of trying to limp a 1975 Defiant with a badly cracked Fireback, we got a new stove! The night before last was the final straw. The stove started back puffing and I couldn't turn the primary air up because the firebox was about 8-10" deep of coals with firewood on top. I attempted to open the door to see what's wrong, then the turbine noise started so I shut the whole thing down and waited several hours. The crack has expanded and caused the cord wood in the box to burn irregularly. Prior to this the stove was operating like it usually does, difficult to keep it maintaining a steady temp and hungry.

Our new stove is a Morso 2B Classic and we love it. I'm in the process of breaking it in right now. After a few weeks I'll write a full review and update that at the end of the season. I'm so glad to have a safe stove. We really wanted an antique stove, but this was the best compromise.

20181213_145823.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that's quite a change in capacity, I am surprised the wood cut for the Defiant would fit.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Yes, but the Defiant was way too big for this house. We only have to heat like 800 sqft The bedroom is above the stove and our stairwell is wide open. That defiant baked us out anything above 450 stove top and would have been a poor fit even if it were rebuilt. None of our wood is cut for the Defiant specifically. Everything that was with the house is less than 18" and I don't like splitting anything longer than that. I might have to trim a few pieces and split some of the bigger splits again, but no big deal. I've only cut and split about two cords since we got here November second. This stove should suit our needs perfectly, and if looks great.

Same to you with the soap stone! We considered it, but we prefer the cast iron.

Wow that’s cool looking! Never seen one of those out here in the west.

Cool looking stove

we will see what the clearance police have to say about this

we will see what the clearance police have to say about this

Stove looks like it's in front of a cement flue or somebody put a clean out in a wall. LOL

Beautiful stove, my compliments! Keep us posted on how it works for you, burn times, wood consumption etc... aaand pics! We love pics!

It's a brick masonry chimney with some ugly stucco. I read the manual and am in compliance with all clearances. Because my chimney is noncombustible and this stove has a 26" side and 7" rear clearance for combustibles, I could have put it against the chimney. Obviously this is dumb, but you get the point. I left 6" between the chimney and rear heat shield.

Reactions: Allagash350
Beautiful stove, my compliments! Keep us posted on how it works for you, burn times, wood consumption etc... aaand pics! We love pics!

Thank you! I'm on the third firing now. It's a bit weird to light since it doesn't have a bunch of ash in it. This is the first stove I've broken in. So far I've only burned kindling so I can easily control it for break in. I'll keep reporting with updates.

i have seen pics of this stove old and new , i am guessing that the exhaust gases pass up the sides and then into the flue pipe there by draining some more radiant heat out of the system?

It's a brick masonry chimney with some ugly stucco. I read the manual and am in compliance with all clearances. Because my chimney is noncombustible and this stove has a 26" side and 7" rear clearance for combustibles, I could have put it against the chimney. Obviously this is dumb, but you get the point. I left 6" between the chimney and rear heat shield.
I looked up the clearances when that was posted an I saw nothing wrong.

Reactions: SpaceBus
The first split to go in. Up till now has been newspaper and kindling per the manual. I got the secondaries going a bit with the newspaper and kindling earlier. The main reason I went with this stove over the Jotul F118 is that it is a true N/S burner, plus the horror stories on the F118, and the shop that carries Jotul near me wouldn't even sell me on it. He said they don't like selling them at all. The secondaries on this stove are a part of the roof and would be difficult to accidentally bump in to. The secondary air comes from a non adjustable intake opening on the rear of the stove behind the heat shield. This information was not to be found anywhere and there are extremely few reviews. I think I'm the first Hearth member to use a current one. I saw one member has a 1BO.

Attachments

• 20181213_183047.jpg
    20181213_183047.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 183
i have seen pics of this stove old and new , i am guessing that the exhaust gases pass up the sides and then into the flue pipe there by draining some more radiant heat out of the system?
This is accurate. The front duct of the upper half of the stove has a plate that forces the exhaust to go through the rear duct and then into the stove pipe. I think this is done to slow the flow of gasses as they exit the firebox from the front. The secondaries are on the ceiling of the firebox pointed to the front. It's a pretty interesting stove and should put off decent heat despite the smaller fire box. Our house is small, and we really didn't want another stove that would cook us out.

Also something that I found unusual, the manual recommends the temperature reading on the stove pipe 8" above the top of the stove to be 550-750° f during normal operation. That seems really high to me.
15447445531659210628177166983581.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that those flue temps refer to the 2b standard... reaching 450C 20 cms above the flue collar would cause serious problems. It says “in the flue pipe” anyway, doesn’t refer to pipe surface temp... maybe

I think that those flue temps refer to the 2b standard... reaching 450C 20 cms above the flue collar would cause serious problems. It says “in the flue pipe” anyway, doesn’t refer to pipe surface temp... maybe

Yes, that would make more sense, but still.

Does this mean the top plate between the ducts, or the top plate where the flue collar is?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181213-185536_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20181213-185536_Drive.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 151
Yes, that would make more sense, but still.
Just be sure you keep the stack temps up. Stoves like these are good at extracting heat which is good but it can lead to low stack temps which makes creosote.

Just be sure you keep the stack temps up. Stoves like these are good at extracting heat which is good but it can lead to low stack temps which makes creosote.

As in a more reasonable 250-450 on the pipe?

I see no clearance issues there. By that comment though it seems you think we should not point out dangerous clearance issues we see. Is that true?

Now why the hell would you think that I would condone clearance issues that could be dangerous to people. Thats why I posted that, so someone could critique it. It looked close to me, but Im not the expert here.