New stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It's an 8x8 clay flue tile liner in a masonry chimney. 6" single wall running into a plug to fit our 8" thimble.
Ok so 300 is probably right for an uninsulated oversize chimney.

Ok so 300 is probably right for an uninsulated oversize chimney.

Still much better and safer than the previous stove. In a few years we might get an insulated 6" liner and double wall for our stove, but we don't have it in the budget currently. I know double wall would also help us a lot.

To keep a cooler flue, try loading thicker splits and turning down the air sooner.

Still much better and safer than the previous stove. In a few years we might get an insulated 6" liner and double wall for our stove, but we don't have it in the budget currently. I know double wall would also help us a lot.
Yes it absolutely is safer. They are good stove you just have to watch the flue temp.

To keep a cooler flue, try loading thicker splits and turning down the air sooner.
Keeping the flue temps down isn't the problem

Okay if you were trying to run a Defiant for such a small space then the new one is right sized. The original Defiant was sized for a far larger space and I expect it was a handful to keep it running without overheating.

Okay if you were trying to run a Defiant for such a small space then the new one is right sized. The original Defiant was sized for a far larger space and I expect it was a handful to keep it running without overheating.

Yes, it really was a handful. The crack made it near impossible to regulate the temperature. Even the auto thermostat flap was the cause of many headaches.

Went to bed last night around midnight with about 3" of coals and three medium sized splits (16x3"). Woke up at 0700 to the main living area at 65 and there were still a ton of coals and few ashes. I put in three more splits of the same size and it's already going! I meant to wake up at 0400, but the wife said she wanted to pee and then load the stove. This never happened and we both fell asleep again!

This stove has exceeded expectations, for the first 24 hrs at least.

Attachments

• 20181214_070342.jpg
    20181214_070342.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 160
Went to bed last night around midnight with about 3" of coals and three medium sized splits (16x3"). Woke up at 0700 to the main living area at 65 and there were still a ton of coals and few ashes. I put in three more splits of the same size and it's already going! I meant to wake up at 0400, but the wife said she wanted to pee and then load the stove. This never happened and we both fell asleep again!

Good glad it is working out so far.

Sounds great. This is the first report we've had on the operation of this stove. Keep us posted as you develop a daily routine.

Sounds great. This is the first report we've had on the operation of this stove. Keep us posted as you develop a daily routine.

I certainly will. While researching stoves I was very frustrated with the lack of user reviews for the 2B, and even the F118 reviews weren't very useful regarding performance and output. It also seems this forum tends to be populated with folks with larger houses and large stoves. I haven't seenn much interest in smaller stoves.

I certainly will. While researching stoves I was very frustrated with the lack of user reviews for the 2B, and even the F118 reviews weren't very useful regarding performance and output. It also seems this forum tends to be populated with folks with larger houses and large stoves. I haven't seenn much interest in smaller stoves.
Yeah 800 sqft is certainly smaller than what most people are heating. I am glad it's working for you.

Something I hadn't considered when looking at stoves is where we usually sit in relation to the stove. The N/S orientation of this stove really helps the radiant heat move through our main living area. I tend to sit on the love seat or at the table while my wife reads in the chair. She would love it to be 75-80 f inside the house, but that's way too hot for me. With this stove we are both comfortable. We are eventually getting a regular sofa and/or a recliner to go along the west facing wall (the sliding glass doors face south) and that will be warm seating as well.

You can even see the old defiant in the corner! It will be a plant table/kindling storage. An added bonus is a place for my kettle to let it cool down. It won't be moving until it's warm and I can get several other guys to help me move it to the shed where it will await a rebuild.

I've also been thinking about getting a radiused bend for the stove pipe vs the hard 90. The stove already has three right angle turns for the exhaust, I could at least give it a hand. I haven't noticed any draft issues, but it might help keep the flue temps up. However, I do wonder if a more radiused turn wouldake the stove burn even faster, which might not be good? I guess I'll just have to buy a radiused bend and try it out.

15448220052081084532206728326887.jpg 15448223023645197472525099805451.jpg

Yeah 800 sqft is certainly smaller than what most people are heating. I am glad it's working for you.
We don't have any kids, just dogs, so a smaller home works for us. I do understand most people have a need for more space. We also lived in an RV for two years with our dogs, so we have a different perspective on space than most other people as well. If the house didn't have an open floor plan with bedrooms above the main area, we would need a bigger stove for sure.

I forgot about the splits on the floor, they came in from the wood stack to be tested for MC. The stove dealer threw in a free Hygrometer!

We have some good reports on the Squirrel and I have run a 2110 a bit. There are some reports on the original F118, but as your dealer noted, the F118CB was not a success. The F602CB is better. Some folks down the road have been burning in one for almost a decade now.

We have some good reports on the Squirrel and I have run a 2110 a bit. There are some reports on the original F118, but as your dealer noted, the F118CB was not a success. The F602CB is better. Some folks down the road have been burning in one for almost a decade now.

I thought about the 2110 for the larger cook surface, but decided it is too small. There are a few threads about the 2B Standard, but I couldn't find anything about the classic. We really liked the F118, so it's a shame they aren't as good as the old ones. The prayer on the top is a nice touch. The F602 is a smart stove, but just a little small four our situation. As a second stove upstairs it makes more sense.

Now that the stove is nice and broken in, I have loaded up a full firebox of mixed spruce and birch. The smoke flap is a bit annoying for larger loads, but it is necessary for optimal performance since it also directs incoming primary air, which is also the airwash. We shall see how long this load puts out meaningful heat. So far this stove has really surprised me with how long it can heat with just a bed of coals.

Attachments

• 20181214_163243.jpg
    20181214_163243.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 170
  • 20181214_163247.jpg
    20181214_163247.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 187
Nifty stove. You aren't the only ones living in a small home. Mine is almost identically sized to yours. Less to heat/cool/clean. And store stuff!

Last edited:
Nifty stove. You aren't the only ones living in a small home. Mine is almost identically sized to yours. Les to heat/cool/clean. And store stuff!
Yes, everything is much easier in a small house I feel. We hate clutter, so the small house works really well, we just don't buy stuff we don't need!

Reactions: moresnow
wanted a smaller place after selling my 2000 sq ft joint, didn't work out that way as I could not find anything worth while. So ended up with a 2200 sq ft place, much better layout ( both are ranches) new place built around 1990 with 6" side walls. Windows all had collapsed glass syndrome and burned a lot of propane last season. ( not apparent in the middle of summer when I bought the place) Replaced all the glass units this fall and installed a NC30 in the middle of the home- Propane furnace hasn't run more than a couple hours in the last 2 weeks ( only because I used it to warm up home quickly after a couple 16 hour days) propane unit set at 65 even with 14 degF temps and howling wind the wood stove kept the home above 65 for 12 hours. Due to the lay out the bedrooms are only a couple degrees cooler than the main areas. Just the little fan on the nc30 on low for circulation. Happy camper here.

wanted a smaller place after selling my 2000 sq ft joint, didn't work out that way as I could not find anything worth while. So ended up with a 2200 sq ft place, much better layout ( both are ranches) new place built around 1990 with 6" side walls. Windows all had collapsed glass syndrome and burned a lot of propane last season. ( not apparent in the middle of summer when I bought the place) Replaced all the glass units this fall and installed a NC30 in the middle of the home- Propane furnace hasn't run more than a couple hours in the last 2 weeks ( only because I used it to warm up home quickly after a couple 16 hour days) propane unit set at 65 even with 14 degF temps and howling wind the wood stove kept the home above 65 for 12 hours. Due to the lay out the bedrooms are only a couple degrees cooler than the main areas. Just the little fan on the nc30 on low for circulation. Happy camper here.

That's a big stove! Our house is a fixer upper 100%. We searched for a long time to find a house that was the right size for us with the amount of land we wanted. It took us two years! This house also has a lot of issues that were not disclosed by the seller's agent, so they are probably going to be footing the bill for most of this. That's not to say it was promised to us in perfect condition, we expected to do a lot work. I feel your pain.

We actually got screwed and also lucky for winter. The house has passive solar, but the existing wood stove had a huge crack in the back. We actually don't have to use the wood stove during the day if the sun is out, even when it's 20-ish.

I looked for quite awhile. me and banks don't seem to get along. Could not get an interim loan- still can't figure that out. as everything I have is paid for including the former home.they don't like that, course I am self employed and that don't sit well with banks either . sold that unit in 3 days never even made it on the reality listings. So I go to bank I have documents on home sale with a closing date and cash for down payment on new place- how simple can it be? apparently not very. This was summer of 2017. spending less that what I sold for including all the fees and such. was irritating,no matter now, water under the bridge as it were. paid cash for new to me place. really was trying to avoid having to rent something interim wise because those short term rates are astronomical.

Also something that I found unusual, the manual recommends the temperature reading on the stove pipe 8" above the top of the stove to be 550-750° f during normal operation. That seems really high to me.
View attachment 235691
I noticed the big 8" pipe and was thinking that was a lot of pipe for that stove but hey I'm not going to argue with the manufacturer.