New Strawberry bed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, we just started getting buds last week.

Finished the face of the retaining wall this morning. Next project is taming the raspberries. Hopefully it will be warm enough to get the tomatoes, peppers and cukes in this weekend.

Attachments

• 051111 upper strawberry from N.jpg
    051111 upper strawberry from N.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 299
  • 051111 upper strawberry from S2.jpg
    051111 upper strawberry from S2.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 235
SolarAndWood said:
We harvested the asparagus this morning and had a bunch for dinner tonight...mmmm mmmm is right. Hopefully, this was the right year to start harvesting.

mmmmmmmmm = right year to start harvesting.

Just don't take too many, and they'll reward you for years and years :)

AP, Can you share your asparagus with fluff recipe?

Nothing better than a dollop of fluff in your hot coco.

Flatbedford said:
Nothing better than a dollop of fluff in your hot coco.

except maybe a double shot of peppermint schnapps.....maybe.

Funny thing is that my wife always made hot coco for my son after snow shoveling. I always wanted a beer.

Flatbedford said:
Funny thing is that my wife always made hot coco for my son after snow shoveling. I always wanted a beer.

I'm not so sure that fluff works the same in beer...I await some feedback on this from any of the beer drinkers in the house.

Adios Pantalones said:
By the time I'm done snowblowing/shoveling, I'm normally way too hot for cocoa. The outside temp really doesn't matter at that point.

Yup. Beer time.

As long as we are talking about beer:

All-Grain - Strawberry Alarm Clock v3.0 (Strawberry Blonde)
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: S-04
Yeast Starter: 1 packet
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.010
IBU: 17.1
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 4.9 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 days @ 65F
Additional Fermentation: Cold Crash 3 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 days @ 70F
Tasting Notes: Smooth light body with a tiny bit of tartness that gives the beer a crisp finish.

EDIT: This recipe won a gold medal at Pacific Brewer's Cup 2009.

I ended up with 4.8 gallons of beer in bottles after this process, although on previous batches where I had pureed the strawberries I ended up spot-on 5 gallons. So, maybe the strawberries soaked up some of the volume? I probably will try to get another .25 gallons boil volume next time to account for this.

Recipe: Strawberry Alarm Clock v3.0
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.41 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 4.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 17.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item
5.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
4.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 15L (15.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)
0.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Willamette [4.80 %] (60 min)
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min)
4.00 lb Strawberries (Secondary 3.0 weeks)
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Hope everyone is enjoying their summer. Other than being overrun by morning glories and crab grass, I am very pleased with the progress of the new bed. I didn't think the plants on the face of the wall would make it.

Attachments

• 062911 upper strawberry bed.jpg
    062911 upper strawberry bed.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 253
Solar they look great.

zap

WOW
Look GREAT
Raspberries too. When will there be ripe berries (both?)

They look excellent, we are eating our strawberries here at the moment, they always coincide with the Wimbledon tennis championships, strawberries and cream in the afternoon whilst watching Mardy Fish against Nadal!

Sadly, that was one fish that got grilled.......... ;-)

Thanks Zap.

Dave, the strawberries are done, 34 gallons in total. The raspberries started this week, current count sits at 5 gallons. Those wooden stakes mark the blueberry bushes. Our layout leaves a little to be desired, we are going to have to move them this Fall.

Sounds like a nice way to spend the afternoon woodchip. Wimbledon is on a little early here for ice cream.

How low do you cut the 2nd year raspberry canes? I'm growing a set in between some rock and thought to myself "how the heck am I going to prune this mess?".

SolarAndWood said:
Thanks Zap.

Dave, the strawberries are done, 34 gallons in total. The raspberries started this week, current count sits at 5 gallons. Those wooden stakes mark the blueberry bushes. Our layout leaves a little to be desired, we are going to have to move them this Fall.

Solar,

I recently put in a bed of raspberries...put in about 30 plants. Did you put anything in for them to climb on? Haven't decided what I'm going to do yet...either do nothing or set a couple posts and run a couple courses of wire. They pushed off a lot of growth this year so I should have a good crop next year.

Strawberries really grow quickly. I bought 25 plants for my dad last spring. He thinned them out this summer and easily removed 150 plants...and probably has twice that left. He mulched them with pine straw and I'm wondering if that's what kicked them into high gear.

We have a (one) transparent apple tree that was loaded this year. We made about 20 gallons of applesauce and 20 pie fillings yesterday.

lukem said:
Did you put anything in for them to climb on? Haven't decided what I'm going to do yet...either do nothing or set a couple posts and run a couple courses of wire. They pushed off a lot of growth this year so I should have a good crop next year.

I did but it is grossly inadequate. I put in 4 foot pipe and then ran two courses of galvanized on it. I am going to replace it with 8 foot t-posts.

I've had the same experience with strawberries as your dad's. We started with 75 and I gave a few hundred away this year before tilling under the rest of the sprawl. That was in addition to my new bed.

It appears I am winning the war. The runners outnumbered the morning glories that I had to pull this morning by about 3 to 1.

Attachments

• 080411 upper strawberry bed.jpg
    080411 upper strawberry bed.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 186
Status
Not open for further replies.