New summit insert break in procedure

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris2879

Nov 8, 2010
Western MA
The summit insert will be in tomorrow! I have read some of the manuals of other stoves we I was looking for an insert and some mention a break in process like limited heat ad duration of the first few burns. Maybe that was to cure the paint or something. Does the summit or and PE stove have a set process because it doesn't say anything in the manual. Is there something I should do or just fire it up.

I would break in any new stove with several gradually hotter fires letting the stove cool down. Probably more important with cast iron than plate steel but it can't hurt. Hopefully your installer is putting in a block off plate after the reponses from your other thread. I heard the same thing from installers that I talked to in my area about not needing it. Too many people on this forum do not do it and then complain about poor heat output every year.That is why I did mine myself along with my two buddies installs. HUGE difference in heat output on all three stoves 1 Jotul c450,1 PE Summit, &1 Lopi Declaration.

Check in manual, page 10 I believe, says "Starting for First Time" or something like that. Make sure well ventilated, for first 2-3 fires, etc. It covers it although not in detail. On mine, I didn't get any smell out of the first burn, a little on the second fire, and most on the third, but then it was gone. Been enjoying every since. BTW, I don't have the insert, but I am sure very similar. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.