New T5, difficult to get it lit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Andrew V

Nov 28, 2013
Rochester NY
So let me start that I’ve been burning for at least 7 years. I just got rid of a Napoleon 1450 which went up through the center of the house and moved to the corner of the living room with a PE Aldrelea T5. The stove was installed today, double wall inside and about an 18’ chimney outside. I decided to do a tiny break in fire and I’m having a hard time getting it going. I’m using fat wood and a couple pieces of split down 1 year seasoned maple. I have it all the way to “start” but it will go for a little bit then die out. If I hold the ash dump open it gets going great. Weather outside is about 60 degrees which may affect draft. Any ideas why it’s a pain to get going? My Napoleon would light up without issue.

CBEF8050-A53F-43C5-A1A3-8E85B1712CB1_zpslaypyjd1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The 90s knock off like 3' effective height each, so that will have some impact vs your old straight shot. That being said 60 degrees isn't helping either. I've found in my new install that it looks like around 55 degrees is where I can get an easy start. Started a fire at 67 yesterday (just a break in burn, wanted to be able to keep the windows open) and it was difficult to start.

The 90s knock off like 3' effective height each, so that will have some impact vs your old straight shot. That being said 60 degrees isn't helping either. I've found in my new install that it looks like around 55 degrees is where I can get an easy start. Started a fire at 67 yesterday (just a break in burn, wanted to be able to keep the windows open) and it was difficult to start.
Thanks, figured temp had a lot to do with it. Didn’t really think it would make that much of a difference but I guess it does.

Are you pretty sure the intake is full open and not full closed? Those PE stoves are supposed to be easy breathers.

60 degrees doesn’t mean anything.

60 degrees does absolutly mean something. It will make things harder to get going

Center of the house, straight-up flue is ideal both for heating and draft. It's hard to beat a straight up chimney for good draft, especially with warm outside temps. It's the 18" horizontal section combined with two 90º turns creating resistance. And the outside flue is going to be colder than the indoor run was. Does the stove start ok with the door cracked open until the flue has warmed up? If so it should be better tomorrow with cooler temps in Rochester predicted. And even better as temps drop below 50.

Not sure about the 1 yr seasoned maple, but normally I would like to see it seasoned for 2 yrs.

Last edited:
These stoves come from the factory with a round 4 inch "knockout", which is a piece of steel that needs to be removed before yyou can use the stove. It is located on the bottom in the back of the area where the ash tray goes. you can use a prybar to pop it out. Then just make sure you shoot a propane torch up into the back of your firebox to establish a draft before you light up

First time I've heard that. Mine came with no knockout plug. Just a 4" round hole at the back of the ash tray area. If using a torch or hair dryer, point it above the baffle toward the rear of the stove.

You're probably experiencing the same weather pattern that when by us the other day in Michigan, warm and humid. Try again when it's colder in a few days.

I would have never thought to have looked for the knockout if I didn't read about it on here already. There is a lot to read about alderlea t5s on here if you search. I wouldn't recommend an outside air intake unless you are willing to install it to chimney specs. Otherwise you are asking for a house fire on a windy day (the worst time) if you use the stupid cheap dryer vent crap sold commercially. Backpuffing and downdrafting happens. Better down onto your hearth than into your walls.

I would have never thought to have looked for the knockout if I didn't read about it on here already. There is a lot to read about alderlea t5s on here if you search. I wouldn't recommend an outside air intake unless you are willing to install it to chimney specs. Otherwise you are asking for a house fire on a windy day (the worst time) if you use the stupid cheap dryer vent crap sold commercially. Backpuffing and downdrafting happens. Better down onto your hearth than into your walls.
I have no need for an OAK, just stating that the 4 inch hole is where it would attach.
This is the excerpt from page 12 of the install manual

2. Room air supply -There is a 4"(100mm) opening in the ash box enclosure. The stove will draw its air from the room through this opening and into the firebox intake