New Technology

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I might add, this morning I typed and printed out my top 5 numbers onto a piece of paper, laminated here at the office and stashed it in my wallet. I used type 4 font, so I hope I remember my reading glasses.
I did the same thing a few months ago and carry the card in my wallet. I recommend everyone do this.

Wow, that Morso 2b is amazing! I'm not just saying that because I have one either.
I agree, it's both the most efficient and least polluting non-cat stove according to the EPA. I think some of it is due to its small size, and it's shape. It has a large emitting surface area in relation to its small firebox volume, and the end gasses travel under the whole length of the top of the stove. I am considering purchasing one in the future.

I do take issue with the practice of the 2 gram/hr limit, because it necessarily punishes larger stoves, whereas the EPA certifies boilers in relation to their heat output. Do they have some interest in limiting the size of stoves?

I agree, it's both the most efficient and least polluting non-cat stove according to the EPA. I think some of it is due to its small size, and it's shape. It has a large emitting surface area in relation to its small firebox volume, and the end gasses travel under the whole length of the top of the stove. I am considering purchasing one in the future.

I do take issue with the practice of the 2 gram/hr limit, because it necessarily punishes larger stoves, whereas the EPA certifies boilers in relation to their heat output. Do they have some interest in limiting the size of stoves?
I'm pretty certain the fuel loading calculator which determines loading densities, based upon firebox dimensions, is supposed to address the issue. The problem is regulation/test methods are designed to reduce variability.....but the real world is vastly variable!

I'm pretty certain the fuel loading calculator which determines loading densities, based upon firebox dimensions, is supposed to address the issue. The problem is regulation/test methods are designed to reduce variability.....but the real world is vastly variable!
Agreed. When one considers the range of variables that stove operation may see, before we add the user into the mix, it's amazing that they work as well as they do.