New to forum greeting and question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeater

Feb 10, 2011
western canada
Hello,I have been following this site for sometime and have learned alot and the best part is very little b.s.I have had a wood and a pellet stove for a long time and the wood stove has saved me thousands of dollars over the years.Anyway just a bit of background and then a question,we are fortunate where I am to have a plant here where we can pick up good dry 1x6 lumber ends about 16 to 20 inches in length very cheap and loaded on your truck but as you can imagine this stuff burns quick the unfortunate part is we have very few trees and they are poplar, lots of ashes and not alot of heat.Also due to excess rain and snow most of these trees are now standing in water so are unaccessible.

I am very interested in the bio bricks but cant find a dealer in Saskatchewan or even western Canada for that matter.From what I have read on this site the bricks sound like a good fit for me as I can burn the lumber ends and some poplar during the day and go with the bricks at night.Anyone out there know of a dealer in western Canada?Also any new opinions on the wood bricks? Thanks and this is a great forum.

" very little b.s"

Visit the Ash Can!

Welcome to the forums. I cant help ya with the bio brick question. Just wanted to say howdy.

Ash and poplar seem to be the only trees that you can get? If thats the case you could do a fire 1/4 lumber and 3/4 ash or popular. This will help on keeping the lumber from taking off. If you have water around the trees now then cut in the dry time and cut enough to get you through the winter. You need to get a year ahead in your cutting to be assured of dry wood. That standing in water every year could make for a long dry time.

snowtime said:
Ash and poplar seem to be the only trees that you can get? If thats the case you could do a fire 1/4 lumber and 3/4 ash or popular. This will help on keeping the lumber from taking off. If you have water around the trees now then cut in the dry time and cut enough to get you through the winter. You need to get a year ahead in your cutting to be assured of dry wood. That standing in water every year could make for a long dry time.

Thanks for the reply I should have made it clearer I meant the poplar leaves alot of ash, I do cut about a year ahead but we have had unussually wet weather in the area for a couple of seasons now.

Status
Not open for further replies.