New to forum,question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Locust Killa

Apr 21, 2014
York,PA
How do I clean or should I say how hard is it to take my insert out
and clean this thing? Been burning for about a year and don't want to pay xxx amount of dollars for
a contractor to do it. I know how to clean the chimney but with an insert...Thanks in advance ,Will

Is this a rhetorical question? How hard is it to clean my insert??

What kind of insert?

If installed with a liner it shouldn't need to come out at all.

What insert and chimney setup are we talking about here? That will help us give you the best advise on cleaning.

Reactions: Dix
Welcome to the forums, Locust !!

A better description of what ya got going on is gonna help.

A lot ;)

***Also whacks J up side the head with a pitch / manure rake / fork thingy. Ya get my drift, I am sure***

HEY NEIGHBOR!!! For sure with whackin that guy with hand tools..... Welocme to the forum. There are so many stoves out there, some require different disassembly than others and different chimney types require different care. If you frovide more details it will help outline what you need. Be prepared that you will probably need to get some tools that will pay for themselves the first time you use them.

Nice lady w/ the long name calls you out...meh, guy in the cupcake...eh, But when BB is the voice of reason you gotta pay attention right? ;lol

Nice lady w/ the long name calls you out...meh, guy in the cupcake...eh, But when BB is the voice of reason you gotta pay attention right? ;lol
Sorry I don't get your reference... No offense is taken on my end and then may have made your exact same post if I hadn't seen he only had two posts....but let's get back to helping locust killa

How do I clean or should I say how hard is it to take my insert out
and clean this thing? Been burning for about a year and don't want to pay xxx amount of dollars for
a contractor to do it. I know how to clean the chimney but with an insert...Thanks in advance ,Will

Now that the hubbub has died down... you're maybe 45 minutes from me. If you're up a creek I don't mind running up there with a Soot Eater.

You pay attention, regardless ;)

To the OP, this was directed at my post, not your situation, which we need to address ASAP.

:
)

HEY NEIGHBOR!!! For sure with whackin that guy with hand tools..... Welocme to the forum. There are so many stoves out there, some require different disassembly than others and different chimney types require different care. If you frovide more details it will help outline what you need. Be prepared that you will probably need to get some tools that will pay for themselves the first time you use them.

Thanks Neighbor :) It's what came with the house.It was already installed when I bought the place
so I have no clue as to what make it is .I gues I will have to upload a picture to maybe give ya'll a better
idea of what I'm dealing with here.Sorry for being vague in me descripton of the issue at hand ,I will do better next time . :)

I can get accsess to chimney cleaning rods and brushes I just don't know how to clean above the damper
etc. without the proper shop vac type of attachments . I know after you sweep the flue you have to get after the dirt / creosote above that area hence my suspicion the only wat to get at it is removing the insert .

Locust since you did not do the install you need to determine if you have a full liner or you have what has been referred to here as a "slammer". A slammer is when an insert or stove is installed w/ just a few feet of pipe stuck up the chimney. This was common back in the day especially w/ dyi installs. It's not optimal and could require removal of the unit to clean correctly. If you have a full liner removal should not be necessary,

Not understanding about the damper. Inserts don't usually have dampers since there is no exposed pipe. What you may see is some type of baffle that is removable allowing brush or whatever to pass into the pipe from below or above. W/O pics or more info tough to say. Also need to answer the question about whether or not you have a full liner.

That sounds like a "direct connect" or slammer type install. The one in the center in this picture:
http://chimneycleaners.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/woodstoveinsertliners.jpg

While it is still allowed in the US, having a full liner from the insert to the top of the chimney is much better (in the picture on the left). You will have better draft, it is safer, and you can easily do the cleaning yourself. If you want to do yourself a favor, have a sweep come in, clean the chimney and drop a (preferentially insulated) liner down there. If you want, you can also try the liner install yourself; several users here have done that and you can find several posts about their experiences. Nevertheless, having a pro do the cleaning first and take a look at the integrity of your chimney would be a good idea.

Locust since you did not do the install you need to determine if you have a full liner or you have what has been referred to here as a "slammer". A slammer is when an insert or stove is installed w/ just a few feet of pipe stuck up the chimney. This was common back in the day especially w/ dyi installs. It's not optimal and could require removal of the unit to clean correctly. If you have a full liner removal should not be necessary,

Not understanding about the damper. Inserts don't usually have dampers since there is no exposed pipe. What you may see is some type of baffle that is removable allowing brush or whatever to pass into the pipe from below or above. W/O pics or more info tough to say. Also need to answer the question about whether or not you have a full liner.

No I don't have a liner at all just an insert into existing fireplce with terra cotta liner. My thing is the insert has baffles to adjust airflow thu the insert but above has a damper adjuster like a normal fireplace but even that is not accessable like with a regular fireplace like they(original owner) took the damper adjuster out.

No I don't have a liner at all just an insert into existing fireplce with terra cotta liner. My thing is the insert has baffles to adjust airflow thu the insert but above has a damper adjuster like a normal fireplace but even that is not accessable like with a regular fireplace like they(original owner) took the damper adjuster out.
If that's the case the honest truth (from what you are saying) is that it's not a very safe install. Getting some pictures posted will be a big help. How old is the house?

If that's the case the honest truth (from what you are saying) is that it's not a very safe install. Getting some pictures posted will be a big help. How old is the house?

The house was built in 1963 rancher with finished basement. I will upload pics sunday PM . Wanna know something else?
The previous owner had installed carpet throughout the house but underneath it is hardwood floors. A pleasant suprise to say the least.

Sounds like this may be what is called a slammer install. It is no longer permitted. What make/model insert is this?

Hey we are not far from you either. And I agree it sounds like slammer which is not very safe or efficient. In all actuality many sweeps including us will not work on them anymore. Well we do have some very long time customers hat we continue to work on but we will not take on any new ones. You really need to consider either putting a liner on your insert if it is possible or going with a new one.

Here is a couple of pics hope they help.. The first pic is self explanitory. Second one is from the bottom of the insert looking up to the damper .(yes there is a handle)

Attachments

• New to forum,question
    insert 1.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 124
  • New to forum,question
    insert 2.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 139
Line it.

Ugh. That is an old tank. Replace it if you want to save some wood and burn cleaner. Regardless have the chimney completely cleaned first, then line it.

Do I see correctly that you can look right through that rectangle opening into the chimney?? There is not even a stovepipe up into the damper area? I could not have a fire in that stove and sleep well at night. I would frankly not even run it at all.

I agree with BeGreen: Get a modern insert with a full liner and a block-off plate = Save on wood, get more heat and burn safely.

Do I see correctly that you can look right through that rectangle opening into the chimney?? There is not even a stovepipe up into the damper area? I could not have a fire in that stove and sleep well at night. I would frankly not even run it at all.

I agree with BeGreen: Get a modern insert with a full liner and a block-off plate = Save on wood, get more heat and burn safely.

Thanks Grisu I will do some further research into this and thanks again for eveyone's help.

Status
Not open for further replies.