New to Hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
i like that you put beer cache on your floor plan. you will do well here :)

There are lots of ~2.0 cu ft stoves that will do the job, but to be mindful of the budget I'd suggest starting with the Englander Madison (50 SSW01). This is also sold under the Summer's Heat brand at Lowes. Same stove. It's well built, efficient, has a good fireview and very affordable. Moving up the scale take a look at the PE Super 27. It has one of the longest burn times for this size stove and a simple, tough design. If you want a fancier version there is the Spectrum or T5, but they will cost more. The Enviro line is also worth looking at if you have a dealer in the area. In cat stoves Blaze King and Woodstock have a good selection. These stoves can run at low output for hours due to the cat eating the smoke. They are more complex and costly, but do a good job. The Blaze King Sirocco 20 would probably be the most affordable, but you could put in a Sirocco 30.1 without worry if the budget allows. Buck also makes cats stoves. Their model 20 is about the right sized.

This is just a small sampling of stove options available. If you like cast iron better, pay attention to specs as these stove are usually more radiant and require more clearance from combustibles. The Hampton H300, Hearthstone Shelburne are examples. Then there are cast iron jacketed stoves. These provide the look of cast iron, but with a steel stove inside and the softer heat of a soapstone. The clearances are closer with this style stove. The Quadrafire Explorer II, Alderlea T5, Jotul F45 are examples.

Thanks begreen...Cast iron is what I think I'd like to pursue and I'm really liking the Hampton H300. I even think the Hampton H200 would suit my needs but I just don't like the max 16" log size that the H200 can take.

Couple other things...I read somewhere here that some cast iron stoves are constructed with gaskets (?) whereas others are held together with cement. Pros/cons to either?

Also, when I first found this website, I read that it's not good to burn a small fire in a big stove due to potential build up of creosote. True?

. . .

Also, when I first found this website, I read that it's not good to burn a small fire in a big stove due to potential build up of creosote. True?

Nah . . . I build small fires all the time in the shoulder season when I do not fill the firebox completely full, use lower BTU wood and tend to use chunks and uglies which further reduce the fuel load in the fire box. I fire up the stove the same as I do any other time of the year, letting it reach it's temp and then cutting back on the air to achieve a good secondary which helps keep the chimney clean and makes for a more efficient burn. I also make sure to not reload the stove, especially when the forecast calls for a warm up later in the day.

This time of year however I tend to fill the firebox quite full, go to my "good stuff" and use fairly straight wood to maximize the fuel load . . . and burn as usual.

Reactions: BobMcG
Nah . . . I build small fires all the time in the shoulder season when I do not fill the firebox completely full, use lower BTU wood and tend to use chunks and uglies which further reduce the fuel load in the fire box. I fire up the stove the same as I do any other time of the year, letting it reach it's temp and then cutting back on the air to achieve a good secondary which helps keep the chimney clean and makes for a more efficient burn. I also make sure to not reload the stove, especially when the forecast calls for a warm up later in the day.

This time of year however I tend to fill the firebox quite full, go to my "good stuff" and use fairly straight wood to maximize the fuel load . . . and burn as usual.

H-THREE HUNDREEEEED...LOL

Thanks FFJake...will learn up some more on secondary burning. Cutting back on air is done with a draft lever (?) or damper, correct? I have a Knico wood burning stove that I use with my Panther Primitive wall tent and in the flu is a damper. I haven't seen too many pictures of household wood stoves with dampers in the flu...not the norm I suppose? Too old fashioned?

Thanks begreen...Cast iron is what I think I'd like to pursue and I'm really liking the Hampton H300. I even think the Hampton H200 would suit my needs but I just don't like the max 16" log size that the H200 can take.

Couple other things...I read somewhere here that some cast iron stoves are constructed with gaskets (?) whereas others are held together with cement. Pros/cons to either?

Yes true, The castings on cast iron stove are either cemented or gasketed together. Most are well done and don't need a rebuild for 15-20 yrs.. A cast iron jacketed stove does not have this issue. The inner steel firebox is welded. With care it will last a very long time. From the outside this in not necessarily apparent. Did you look at the Quad Explorer II for example?

It is fine to burn a smaller fire in a stove occasionally without worry. The key is to burn dry wood. In the shoulder seasons many of us burn smaller fires. I am doing one today as the temps outside shot up to 50º. If regularly burning smaller fires like one might do in fall, put in enough wood to allow the stove to start secondary combustion. Depending on the firebox design and size this may be accomplished with just a few dry splits. In a larger firebox it may take 5 splits. The way a small load is stacked will also affect how quickly it combusts and reaches secondary burn. The more air that can get through the splits the better in this case. Some folks stack them lincoln log style to accomplish this, but that is hard to do in narrow E/W fireboxes. It's easier to do in a square firebox.

Yes true, The castings on cast iron stove are either cemented or gasketed together. Most are well done and don't need a rebuild for 15-20 yrs.. A cast iron jacketed stove does not have this issue. The inner steel firebox is welded. With care it will last a very long time. From the outside this in not necessarily apparent. Did you look at the Quad Explorer II for example?

It is fine to burn a smaller fire in a stove occasionally without worry. The key is to burn dry wood. In the shoulder seasons many of us burn smaller fires. I am doing one today as the temps outside shot up to 50º. If regularly burning smaller fires like one might do in fall, put in enough wood to allow the stove to start secondary combustion. Depending on the firebox design and size this may be accomplished with just a few dry splits. In a larger firebox it may take 5 splits. The way a small load is stacked will also affect how quickly it combusts and reaches secondary burn. The more air that can get through the splits the better in this case. Some folks stack them lincoln log style to accomplish this, but that is hard to do in narrow E/W fireboxes. It's easier to do in a square firebox.

The Quadratech is really nice too. It has a steel welded firebox? When you say with care it will last a very long time...do you mean decades?

Another thing I would really appreciate comments on is the room size. It’s something that has been driving me towards certain smaller stoves like the Hampton H300 with 1.7cubic foot firebox. If I install a bigger stove like was suggested earlier in this thread (+2cubic feet), will I be TOO hot in a room that is only 550square feet? Some heat I am expecting to flow up the stairwell (as shown in floor plan) but dont really know from lack of experience.

Thanks again all for your comments and experience!

The Quadratech is really nice too. It has a steel welded firebox? When you say with care it will last a very long time...do you mean decades?

Another thing I would really appreciate comments on is the room size. It’s something that has been driving me towards certain smaller stoves like the Hampton H300 with 1.7cubic foot firebox. If I install a bigger stove like was suggested earlier in this thread (+2cubic feet), will I be TOO hot in a room that is only 550square feet? Some heat I am expecting to flow up the stairwell (as shown in floor plan) but dont really know from lack of experience.

Thanks again all for your comments and experience!
Yes, with normal operation and care it should last decades. The difference between 1.7 cu ft and 2.0 cu ft is trivial. You control how hot the stove gets by how much fuel is loaded and how much air is supplied to the fire. Some heat will definitely go up the stairwell, perhaps more than anticipated. Both are good stoves. I like the Quadrafire a little better due to the deeper firebox and softer heat from the cast iron jacket. It looks great in dk brown enamel. That said, the Hampton is a well made stove too and would do the job.