New to me Stihl 440 Mag & Stihl 260 Pro

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I needed these not at all....but I own them now. Why the 440? Because I wanted a larger saw & well I wanted it. Why the 260 Pro when I have a 271? While I was trolling e-bay/craigslist to see what was out there & what was being paid, I thru out a bid to run some poor sod that probably really wanted/needed it ( this was from past experiences & getting bumped myself; just being an ass) 2 days later I get an e-mail I won! _g. So I both to my local dealer & had them compression & vac tested ( to just confirm what I had been told ) & just basically looked over to confirm that I hadn’t missed anything needed repair wise. 155 &160 compression, vac tested good also. Since I already have a 271 with 18” x .325 x .063 that’s what I set up the 260 for, it came with a 16” x .325 x .063 & I already have some of those chains & a bar from my old 029 that got 5 fingered.
My question is will the 440 pull the 25” bar on it with a standard chain or shall I put a skip tooth on it? I paid $330 for the 260 & $550 for the 440 before someone asks.

Nice choice on both saws. My favorite 2 saw combo. No problem with the 25 on a 440. When you get them figured out your 271 and 029 are gonna get sold.

So after pricking around with the 260 for sometime then shelving it for the summer. I recently sent it to see a doctor. Got a call 2 days later, Dr. had taken it out to test cut & couldn’t get anything accomplished so he pulled it apart, then proceeded to tell that he wouldn’t go any farther or stand behind any repair work with current parts. The seller failed to disclose that the saw had a junk aftermarket Chinese piston & cylinder & did a poor job of rebuilding it. So he gave me a couple options. Option #1) Put it back together & resell it as is. Option #2) Replace with OEM or Meteor parts & he would put it back together & stand behind his work. Since I already owned it went with Meteor parts, 44mm instead of 44.7mm. Just got it back a couple days ago & have been cutting up some hedge post today. He told me that at about 5 tanks of gas it would really start to come to life as the rings began set. I believe it is running as it supposed to :eek:maybe a bit better than stock ;)::-) Dr. called me to how I was getting along with it & how it was running.

Last edited:
Just a bit sour at my dealer that checked it out & said it was good to go & ran well. I guess I should just be mad at myself for not noticing & if wasn’t being an ass & running the bid up I wouldn’t of got stuck with it.;em Dealers seem to get ripped on a regular basis & I know that not all are the same.But no matter now, I believe I have a new favorite saw. :)

Last edited:
Sounds like you got a qualified Dr. now! I have a pair of 260 Pros and dont leave home with out them! They get used more than any saw I own.

The nice thing is that it’s just a 45 min drive to his shop, same or close to as the Stihl dealers near me 30-45minutes. While dropping the saw off I found out he is a Dolmar dealer as well as operating a successful mod shop. I had lots of questions & he was more than willing to answer them all.

Reactions: Slocum
And before someone inquires or thinks I am an idiot for getting a fully modded saw for cutting firewood no I did not get a fully ported & modded saw Just a bit more bottom end torque & a couple other minor tweaks while it was under the “knife”.

And before someone inquires or thinks I am an idiot for getting a fully modded saw for cutting firewood no I did not get a fully ported & modded saw Just a bit more bottom end torque & a couple other minor tweaks while it was under the “knife”.
Who is your... Um, saw doctor;)

I didn’t get the 260 fully ported up but got the 440 Mag all hopped up. Lol. Got a 460 piston & cylinder hence the hybrid tag 440/460 p/c were the same price. Test cuts are with 24” bar & in oak. It definitely sings a different tune than when I took it to see Carl. It should really come to life after I get a few tanks of fuel ran thru it & get it broke in. Can’t wait to go pick it up & run it. There won’t be a tree on the place that’s safe. ==c Included a few pics of the cylinder.

Attachments

• 2AE376EF-5921-424C-ACDB-5BA3B2A0B183.jpeg
    2AE376EF-5921-424C-ACDB-5BA3B2A0B183.jpeg
    86.6 KB · Views: 162
  • 006A077F-6CBA-431D-A9ED-F1359CDDD891.jpeg
    006A077F-6CBA-431D-A9ED-F1359CDDD891.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 163
  • 6C165514-10A0-46EE-B602-F3D47E0EE20C.jpeg
    6C165514-10A0-46EE-B602-F3D47E0EE20C.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 135
  • 0EDD1BE2-9B9E-433A-A98D-2ED4CFDB9A8D.jpeg
    0EDD1BE2-9B9E-433A-A98D-2ED4CFDB9A8D.jpeg