New to me Stihl 440 Mag & Stihl 260 Pro

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JimBear

Minister of Fire
Dec 15, 2017
Iowa
I needed these not at all....but I own them now. Why the 440? Because I wanted a larger saw & well I wanted it. Why the 260 Pro when I have a 271? While I was trolling e-bay/craigslist to see what was out there & what was being paid, I thru out a bid to run some poor sod that probably really wanted/needed it ( this was from past experiences & getting bumped myself; just being an ass) 2 days later I get an e-mail I won! _g. So I both to my local dealer & had them compression & vac tested ( to just confirm what I had been told ) & just basically looked over to confirm that I hadn’t missed anything needed repair wise. 155 &160 compression, vac tested good also. Since I already have a 271 with 18” x .325 x .063 that’s what I set up the 260 for, it came with a 16” x .325 x .063 & I already have some of those chains & a bar from my old 029 that got 5 fingered.
My question is will the 440 pull the 25” bar on it with a standard chain or shall I put a skip tooth on it? I paid $330 for the 260 & $550 for the 440 before someone asks.

Attachments

• 4FBF02E1-5907-479F-ABF3-B1331CDF0613.jpeg
    4FBF02E1-5907-479F-ABF3-B1331CDF0613.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 281
  • C18B5A6A-80D6-4D4D-82F5-6B15055FCD1B.jpeg
    C18B5A6A-80D6-4D4D-82F5-6B15055FCD1B.jpeg
    151.3 KB · Views: 288
Reactions: Slocum
Couple of nice saws there. The 440 will pull 25" of full comp just fine.

Couple of nice saws there. The 440 will pull 25" of full comp just fine.
Manual says 28” max suggested so I figured I should be good but thought I would run it by real life users. Haven’t ran them yet so pretty excited to try them out. Probably be about of carb tweaking. Thanks for the reply.

I can't speak for the 440 but my 260 pro doesn't like any more than a 16" bar and chain.
I have come to that conclusion as well, spent some time this afternoon trying them out, I think the carb may need some work on the 260, I can’t quite get it dialed in. My 271 & 18” will out cut the 260 & 16” by a long shot. This really surprised me. The 440 seems to pull the 25” bar ok but not what I expected.

My one 260 pro came with a 18 in bar and chain...I soon switched both of the 260 pros to 3/8ths and run full chisel on them...they get with the program...I run a 20 in bar on my 044 with full chisel and it cuts very well...Stihl recommends a 20 in on it BTW...

I have come to that conclusion as well, spent some time this afternoon trying them out, I think the carb may need some work on the 260, I can’t quite get it dialed in. My 271 & 18” will out cut the 260 & 16” by a long shot. This really surprised me. The 440 seems to pull the 25” bar ok but not what I expected.
I've debated on doing some muffler and carb work on my 260. My old 025 will run circles around the 260.

I've debated on doing some muffler and carb work on my 260. My old 025 will run circles around the 260.
Mine wouldnt!

would go through the carb on any used equipment, make sure you have the power you re suppossed to. i normally poke the jets with a pick, carb clean everything and blow out. chainsaws just sit for alot of people

Hmmmm....first knee jerk reaction is that the 260 isn’t running right. It should be a superior saw to the 271 in every way.

My one 260 pro came with a 18 in bar and chain...I soon switched both of the 260 pros to 3/8ths and run full chisel on them...they get with the program...I run a 20 in bar on my 044 with full chisel and it cuts very well...Stihl recommends a 20 in on it BTW...
The Stihl online manual for the 440 says 16-18-20 but the manual that came with the saw lists 16-18-20-25. I know that running the max recommended bar will not get as good of performance as a shorter bar but the 20 bar it also came with was junk, I didn’t see much point in buying another 20” when I have 18”. Maybe down the road I will get a 20”.

Hmmmm....first knee jerk reaction is that the 260 isn’t running right. It should be a superior saw to the 271 in every way.
Those were my thoughts in researching, if not superior at least equal. Compression can be eliminated, looks like I just need to become abut more knowledgeable about carbs & carb repair. It is supposed to rain & snow for a couple days I hopefully will have time to look at them.

I am not prepared to go into the carburetor repair business but I got them running a little better, after some labor, carburetor cleaner, some bad words!!!, a splatter of CC cleaner in the eye<>. I got the 260 to cut a 8” hedge post without bogging down, which is a lot better than the other day & the 440 to cut a 14” no problem:), still some fine tuning to do but it’s snowing, sleeting & raining today so I’ll wait for a better day for that.

Now I have a seemingly dumb question but I’ll fire it off anyway. I have never had a saw with the stainless steel bar plate spacers. Aren’t those just for insuring you have enough threads to tighten down the cover & bar or is it also helping to align the bar & sprocket? Are these just on Pro & larger saws? Ok that’s 2 questions. The manual doesn’t say anything about them & only thing a search pulls up is ebay selling them. Thanks for helping me out.

Now I have a seemingly dumb question but I’ll fire it off anyway. I have never had a saw with the stainless steel bar plate spacers. Aren’t those just for insuring you have enough threads to tighten down the cover & bar or is it also helping to align the bar & sprocket? Are these just on Pro & larger saws? Ok that’s 2 questions. The manual doesn’t say anything about them & only thing a search pulls up is ebay selling them. Thanks for helping me out.
Does anybody have any idea how many rpm the 260 is supposed to turn?

Just the 3/8ths upgrade and full chisel chain.
If I sell my 271, I may put a 3/8 on the 260. I just didn’t see any reason to have a bunch .325 chains & bars that couldn’t be used on both saws. The 260 already had a .325 bar & sprocket.

If I sell my 271, I may put a 3/8 on the 260. I just didn’t see any reason to have a bunch .325 chains & bars that couldn’t be used on both saws. The 260 already had a .325 bar & sprocket.
I hear you....thats why I went to 3/8ths on the 260 Pros....now I run the same chain on EVERY saw I own from the 260s to the 660.

Hmmm .... Most people have several chains for there saw .. not several saws for there chain ..:p

I don’t have anything quite that fancy, mine just hang on nails in the shed, then I grab a few on the way to cut, sharp chains go in the drivers side door panel compartments & the dull ones get put in the passenger side door panel compartments, then they get hung on the appropriate nail when I get back home.

I had a chance this evening to play around with the 440 a little more & cut up some hedge posts & got thru a 22” locust trunk with very little if any power drop. Seemed to load up & slobber a bit as I was almost thru the trunk but it snapped right back out of it. I am thinking it must be a little rich on mixture yet but not sure that’s a bad thing. Still a small tweak left but very happy with it.