New to me stove for the shop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bajabum

Hearth Supporter
Hi all, short time lurker and new member.
Great site, and way too much info !

I've been looking for a EPA stove suitable for my small ( 300 sf) office in the back of a 24x48 pole barn. I found a used 1994 Country Stove Striker, in what seems to me to be in really good condition. Now, I realize that this stove is Way too big, but I couldn't pass up the deal, as the thrift shop wanted only $60 !
I did make sure it's EPA certified, the box looks new, the firebrick is hardly smudged, no cracks or crud. It has the optional fan and shroud kit and the door rim is GOLD :)
I did the $ test today, the door is tight. The only thing that may be wrong is looking down the hole where the pipe goes, the white ceramic mat looks a bit...worn.

I guess what I'm asking is, have I overlooked any other faults in my hurry to jump all over this amazing deal?
I also realize I'll have to leave the shop door and maybe a window open, or I'll bake.
I have done a search on the striker, it seems to be a west coast unit, made in Washington state.
Thanks for any info, still pinching myself!
Steve

Sounds like you've given it a good inspection. Everything seems to be in order. Unless you see white steel, it probably hasn't been over fired much. Check the welds inside with a flash light to see if you notice any popped welds that immediately stand out. Check the baffle material to see if it's terribly degraded. That's all I can think of.

Greetings BajaBum, nice deal. That is a decent stove, well made and stout. It should give you many years of good service. Install it with a straight up flue, as tall as possible within reason. In that mild climate, draft may be wimpy when it gets above 50 outside.

PS: The stove won't drive you out of the space unless you want it too. Just fill it half way and burn shorter, hot fires.

PPS: How have the winds been down there? Heard this was a strong storm coming in.

Hi BG,
I bought the stove for Oregon, we have a little place in Klamath Falls. I'll haul it up in March, I hope.
Woodstock Fireview in the house, and the Striker will go in the pole barn/office, so I can hide from SWMBO ;)
The stack will be at least 20 feet, should be ok?
I hope there's no problems with permits etc...
No need for a stove down here, we rarely get frost here, which is why I think the stove wasn't used much...
We're supposed to get rain and wind all this next week, we need the rain!

Sounds good, put it in safely.

Hi all,
The saga continues.
I hauled the stove up to Oregon this June, and the neighbor used his front end loader to set it in place in the shop. (Good Guy!)
Yesterday, I found 15 feet of Simpson Dura Plus HT triple wall, with standoff brackets, and a SS rain cap in excellent condition, for $200! WhooHoo!!!
I'm planning on hauling this up to Oregon next month, and possibly installing it then.
I need to do some framing, insulating/sheetrocking etc first, at least on the wall behind the stove. Lots to do in ten days!
It's finally coming together, slowly but cheaply!
So far, As new stove...$60 15 feet of triple wall chimney, with extras...$200
Wood heat in the shop...Priceless!!
I have 95 % of the bits, but I'm seriously considering having the local stove shop do the install. I just blew out my left knee, and working on a 20 foot ladder...NOT!
Plus I'd sleep better knowing it was done right.
Did I mention I don't much like heights, since I learned I don't bounce so good anymore?
More to come, eventually... :)
The stove will(eventually) go in the lower part, under the loft...

Attachments

• loft.jpg
    loft.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 470
Is the office on the upper level or lower level? If upper, pop the pipe right up thru the roof. You got such a great deal so far, spending to money on a pro to install it makes sense. Just dont call a chimney sweep out of the swap sheets, go to a Hearth Shop and only use an NFI Certified Technician if possible.

The office will be under the loft. I had foam insulation put under the slab when built.
With the pipe I bought, I could go straight up, or out the side and up...
The pipe is galvanized.
Outside with a cleanout T would be good, no ladder climbing every year.
Inside chimney protects the pipe better, but harder to clean....
What to do?
Opinions, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.