New to stoves - need help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mcstatz5829

Jul 11, 2018
Indianapolis
brand new Alderlea T6 installed over the summer. Wood measured on fresh split under 20%.

This is with the air control all the way shut. Seems to be firing very hard, but still soot is covering the glass?

IR thermometer has around 300F on stove, pushing 500 on the connection to the flue, and even though I fabricated a heat shield for the mantel, almost 150 on the underside of the mantel.

I think the ash dump might be stuck open a bit or leaking by. That side of the stove is burning like I soaked the wood in gasoline.

I saw an ember fall into the hole and it lit up and sparks streamed out

That will definitely upset the burn. I haven't used the ash dump in 9 yrs.

Was definitely the ash dump. I haven’t used it either - just fiddled once when giving the stove the once over. I didn’t seat it properly. I inspected this morning when he stove was cool and I didn’t seat it properly. I have a fire going down. Still finding the sweet spot on the air control but it’s definitely not out of control!

Begreen do you get any leakage past the dump? Even with it shut it seems some air is pulling through. The fire on that side burns a little bit higher and I can see flames in particular around the chute. When I inspected earlier I shone a flashlight down the chute and I could see some of the light looking from below.

That will definitely upset the burn. I haven't used the ash dump in 9 yrs.

No leakage. When the stove is cold check the trap. There may be a charcoal fragment on the edge that is preventing it from closing tightly. Mine always has thick layer of ash on it too.

Reactions: mcstatz5829
Thank you! I am more of a dog person. Mine looks about the same. It’s just about 50F out and I suspect my flue height is 20-25ft. (I’m horrible at estimating distances)

I was worried that as it gets colder I will overdraft. I’m still experimenting, but I haven’t gotten an overnight burn with really hot embers left over yet. Embers and a warm stove, yes, but nothing really hot and easy to get a new fire going yet.

Yes. This is the original T6. Unfortunately the trend has been for PE and other stove mfgs to drop window details.

No I don't recall, but it was early Dec. so probably in the 30s. Typical overnight burns depends on how fast the house is losing heat. With temps above freezing we typically get a 10-12 hrs burn. Below freezing more like 8-10 hrs.. Our house is old and has way too much glass area that has been added over the years.

No I don't recall, but it was early Dec. so probably in the 30s. Typical overnight burns depends on how fast the house is losing heat. With temps above freezing we typically get a 10-12 hrs burn. Below freezing more like 8-10 hrs.. Our house is old and has way too much glass area that has been added over the years.

I think I must be on the high side of draft. My stove seems to burn like yours in 50s. Last night it dropped into the low 30s and I only got about 7 hours. I packed the stove pretty tight but I think I could have gotten another split or two in.

How often do you shovel out ashes during the burning season? Do you wait until the stove is cool? Or can you do it between reloads if you let the coals burn down?

I don’t seem to be having any problems getting heat out of it or 10+ hr burn times, but i do seem to get some creosote on the glass and a ton of ash right on top of the secondary air deflector - it’s completely covered right now. I think I have the EBT2. Not sure if that affects it’s performance.

All the wood I’ve burned has been split and measured on fresh face <20%, except the splits that are already too thin for me to hit with a maul anyways (I figured those should be pretty dry, though if they fill heavy I toss in the “next year” pile”)

How often do you shovel out ashes during the burning season? Do you wait until the stove is cool? Or can you do it between reloads if you let the coals burn down?
It depends on the wood species one is burning and the volume of wood per day. I am lucky to have doug fir to burn which creates little ash. I can go a couple months in shoulder season burning and a month during peak winter. If I were burning alder or maple I would be cleaning the stove every couple weeks. During peak season I start an early fire and warm up the house, then let the coals burn out by opening up the air to about 50%. There will still be some hot coals left. I push the largest ones to one side and shovel. Then I move them to the other side and shovel again. Some small hot coals get in the ash bucket. This is why it's metal and never set down on a combustible surface.

Reactions: mcstatz5829
Just when I thought I had the hang of things. I tried keeping the stove warm all day by feeding it the gnarly and moldy wood in 1/4 and 1/2 loads. Wound up with the living room at 80F ;em