new to the forum, propane insert removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KeepOnTruckin

Nov 30, 2019
We decided to remove one of our Regency propane fireplace inserts and convert back to wood-burning. It's in a 1970s ranch which had two Regency propane units installed by the former owners in 2004. We might ultimately put in a wood-burning insert, but for next season, we figure we'll just have some regular old fires. I had wood-burning something or others for the first 59 years of my life, and have missed it for the last three seasons.

After removing and selling the insert, we found the Vestal damper handle and installed back in. The ash dump was missing, and one will be delivered next week. But above the lintel, there appears to be a slightly open area along the length of it, with insulation stuffed up and along it. Does anyone know if this is correct? Or is something missing. Thank you.

We decided to remove one of our Regency propane fireplace inserts and convert back to wood-burning. It's in a 1970s ranch which had two Regency propane units installed by the former owners in 2004. We might ultimately put in a wood-burning insert, but for next season, we figure we'll just have some regular old fires. I had wood-burning something or others for the first 59 years of my life, and have missed it for the last three seasons.

After removing and selling the insert, we found the Vestal damper handle and installed back in. The ash dump was missing, and one will be delivered next week. But above the lintel, there appears to be a slightly open area along the length of it, with insulation stuffed up and along it. Does anyone know if this is correct? Or is something missing. Thank you.
Some pics would help. Also have you had the whole system inspected? They may have simply installed the gas inserts for convenience. But they also may have done it because the fireplaces were unsafe to use as is.

Not yet inspected--we just sold the insert this morning. The house is in a development built by a builder that had a top-notch reputation, so hopefully we'll be OK. The fireplaces are in a 4-flue chimney measuring 9 feet by 2 1/2 feet from the basement up though the house, and close to 4-feet square where it comes through the roof. Clay-lined flues, and the one in question looks solid and clean to me. The previous owners were city-folks who liked to spend money, pulling an $80,000- building permit in 2004 to remodel the kitchen. (Not sure if the $80k included the cost of the propane inserts . . . ) Not the sort that you would expect to see dealing with wood and ashes.

Three flues have clean-outs in the basement, and each clean-out area is separated from the others by the cinder-block construction of the basement part of the chimney. The boiler flue has no clean-out. The fourth flue I assume would have been for a wood stove in a finished part of the basement. There's been a steel end cap in it at least since we bought 3 or so years ago.

The next to the last picture is the fireplace we're talking about. The last picture is on the other side of the wall from the first fireplace. During our ongoing "quarantine", we painted the red-brick white and tore out a hearth to pick up some extra square-footage. Fixing the floor is on the to-do list. Not sure whether to put brick in, or tile, like the rest of the floor in that room.

Attachments

• 20200510_165811[1].jpg
    20200510_165811[1].jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 20200510_165759[1].jpg
    20200510_165759[1].jpg
    154 KB · Views: 94
  • 20200510_165750[1].jpg
    20200510_165750[1].jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 20200510_165734[1].jpg
    20200510_165734[1].jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 20200510_165711[1].jpg
    20200510_165711[1].jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 20200510_165904[1].jpg
    20200510_165904[1].jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 20200407_192853[1].jpg
    20200407_192853[1].jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 89
Not yet inspected--we just sold the insert this morning. The house is in a development built by a builder that had a top-notch reputation, so hopefully we'll be OK. The fireplaces are in a 4-flue chimney measuring 9 feet by 2 1/2 feet from the basement up though the house, and close to 4-feet square where it comes through the roof. Clay-lined flues, and the one in question looks solid and clean to me. The previous owners were city-folks who liked to spend money, pulling an $80,000- building permit in 2004 to remodel the kitchen. (Not sure if the $80k included the cost of the propane inserts . . . ) Not the sort that you would expect to see dealing with wood and ashes.

Three flues have clean-outs in the basement, and each clean-out area is separated from the others by the cinder-block construction of the basement part of the chimney. The boiler flue has no clean-out. The fourth flue I assume would have been for a wood stove in a finished part of the basement. There's been a steel end cap in it at least since we bought 3 or so years ago.

The next to the last picture is the fireplace we're talking about. The last picture is on the other side of the wall from the first fireplace. During our ongoing "quarantine", we painted the red-brick white and tore out a hearth to pick up some extra square-footage. Fixing the floor is on the to-do list. Not sure whether to put brick in, or tile, like the rest of the floor in that room.
Yes that area needs filled. It should be done with refractory mortar or my choice would be something like chamber tech.

The firebox built out of standard brick is not a good initial sign. It makes me question if the builder didn't know what they were doing, were more concerned with aesthetics than function, or just wanted to save a few bucks.

Yes that area needs filled. It should be done with refractory mortar or my choice would be something like chamber tech.

The firebox built out of standard brick is not a good initial sign. It makes me question if the builder didn't know what they were doing, were more concerned with aesthetics than function, or just wanted to save a few bucks.

Would you suggest a fireback if I decide to use the fireplace without a wood burning insert? Thanks again.

Would you suggest a fireback if I decide to use the fireplace without a wood burning insert? Thanks again.
If you only plan on doing it a year or two I wouldn't bother. Much longer than that yes