New to the wood stove world and wondering if anyone has any good advice.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tbuff

Feeling the Heat
Dec 7, 2007
Central NJ
Hi all,

I am new to the wood stove world, and was hoping for some good advice(i.e proper operation, temps etc.) I just purchased a Hearthstone Craftsbury and it'll be installed on 10-21-08. So it would be great if i had an idea on how to operate it properly. Thanks for the help.

Tom (NJ)

Thanks for the reply neighbor. I am just round the corner in the great town of New Egypt. Can't wait to heat up the house, the old fashion way.

Tom

It's very informative - and some fun - to just go through all of the old posts in this forum. Plenty of knowledge here.

Thanks for posting that.
Very informative.

Tom, welcome to the forum.

The very best advice most people will give you is to get some well-seasoned wood. That is difficult to do! The wood you burn this winter should have been cut no later than last winter. You will find that different woods season differently though just as you will find that all wood does not burn the same.

Take time to learn that stove good in the beginning, burn good wood and it will serve you well for many, many moons. Good luck.

Greetings Tom, that's a good looking stove. You'll hear it here a hundred times, but the best results are going to be achieved by first being sure you have dry wood. Take some of your large splits and split them in half. Feel the surface for coolness or dampness by putting it up against your cheek. Another tip I would give is to not try to burn too large splits in the stove. You'll get a faster hotter fire with several smaller (2-4") splits than with a couple bigger splits. Also, pick up a stove top thermometer. It will tell you a lot about how the wood is burning and when to start closing down the air control. The last tip may seem pretty obvious, but it bears mentioning - read the manual. You'd be surprised how many don't. The Craftsbury has a pretty good one, so take time to read it through, especially the sections on burning and maintenance.

You might want to contact jeffman and see how he's doing with his new Craftsbury. Here's a link:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/21202/

Thanks for all the helpful replies, and the very warm welcome. I 'm counting down the days until the stove is installed. Just got done framing out my hearth and I'm now picking out some tile to make it look pretty(actually my wife is picking out the tile). I am going to try and find a reputable place to get good wood, and then I should be set. Can't Wait!

Thanks Again,
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.