New to using a wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

swillis1106

Mar 14, 2017
germantown, oh
Hi Everyone! My husband and I bought a house that has a wood burning stove and we are really excited to use it, but a little scared. This is our first home and we know absolutely nothing about how to use the stove. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

I attached a picture of our stove. (Sorry for the mess, the seller is still cleaning his stuff out.)

Attachments

• WOOD STOVE.jpg
    WOOD STOVE.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 306
Hi Everyone! My husband and I bought a house that has a wood burning stove and we are really excited to use it, but a little scared. This is our first home and we know absolutely nothing about how to use the stove. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

I attached a picture of our stove. (Sorry for the mess, the seller is still cleaning his stuff out.)
Well what you have is a Franklin style freestanding fireplace. They are not much good as far as heaters go they are extremely inefficient. You should really have your whole system inspected by a pro before using it but I can tell you you need 36" from that stove to any combustible materials and 18" from the pipe to combustibles. The brick behind the stove will give you a 1/3 reduction in clearances so where that brick is you only need 24" from the stove to the framing behind the brick. Then there is the magic heat heat re claimer on the pipe that needs to be removed they take to much heat out of the exhaust and cause massive creosote buildup.

Reactions: Tech Guru and Tar12
Congrats on the house... that's an old stove that's very inefficient (franklin stove) was popular back in the 1970's. The first thing is to have a certified chimney sweep come out and do a cleaning / inspection, look over the clearances of the stove and take out that magic heater attached to the stove pipe.
You will need fire wood, *dry fire wood, so your more than likely out of luck this year.
I personally after the chimney inspection look at getting a new stove *big box stores like homedepot or lowes has them and they will be going on sale shortly, look into the Englander brand if your on a budget (best band for your $$$) figure a NC30 will cost about $600.00 $800.00 and new stove pipe.
There are tons of members here that will give out excellent info on there stoves or answer any questions.
Look around this site for some idea's.

Welcom and good luck
Wood burning is verry exciting. First thing is get the sweep and check it out. Next is to work on your wood supply. Get your supply of wood now and start the drying process. There is no wood burning with out wood. Most of the wood you will purchase in the fall is partially seasoned. So grab it now and it will be dry enough. As far as the stove goes. The more efficient the stove the more heat and less wood you will go through. You may fined you like burning once you get going.. i thought i would be burning on just the weekend. I now heat my home with only wood and its never been so warm.

Please pay heed to Bhollers advice on getting rid of the Magic Heat reclaimer....they are a fire waiting to happen....and as has been stated the Franklins are horribly inefficient and the one I had many moons ago was hard to control..I hated that thing..lol.there are many better options out there for you to be able to burn safely..

I agree,Great stoves are so cheap now there no reason not to have one. Can be purchased for less than one full tank of oil. I can never go back to the old smoke dragon woodstoves after being spoiled with long burn times lots of heat and lower wood consumption of a modern EPA stove.

I hate to be a wet blanket, but without dry wood your stove will be harder to operate, and more maintenance will be required to keep the chimney clean and safe. ASAP, get about 4 or 5 cords of quick-drying woods like soft Maple, Black Cherry and dead White Ash, cut to 16" just to make sure it will fit in just about any stove you are likely to get. Split and stack said wood in the wind with only the top covered, so wind can blow through. Split medium-small, about 4" on a side. Then, and only then, start reading up here so you can select a stove by next fall. Good luck, and have fun. >>

Thank you all for your input! We are definitely going to have it inspected ASAP. We have a gas furnace in the house as well so we don't really need to use the stove until we feel comfortable using it. I figured once the seller said his parents put the stove in the house in the early 80s it was going to be out dated.

The information on the wood is greatly appreciated. We had no idea that you need dry, seasoned wood. We currently have a huge set of woods behind our house now, we have just been collecting and cutting from fallen trees back there. Any idea how long to let them dry before use? Thank you guys so much for the info!

That stove is a pre EPA smoke dragon. It did the job ok but they were not efficient.

The main problem, as was already mentioned is the manic fingers heat reclaimer on the stack. They promoted creosote buildup.

The stove by itself is most likely functional for emergency use. With seasoned wood. Have an experienced wood burner check/clean up you chimney, remove that heat reclaimer.

Remember fire is a good servant...But a cruel master. Good luck enjoy the new home.

Any idea how long to let them dry before use
Best to buy a moisture meter ($30.00) and split a piece at room temp and test the fresh faced split, you want 20% or lower.
Figure already split green oak takes about 2 years to get to that mark, green maple about a year / year and a half, ash / cherry about a year. Dead wood that it been standing dry could take a year or less.

Thank you all for your input! We are definitely going to have it inspected ASAP. We have a gas furnace in the house as well so we don't really need to use the stove until we feel comfortable using it. I figured once the seller said his parents put the stove in the house in the early 80s it was going to be out dated.

The information on the wood is greatly appreciated. We had no idea that you need dry, seasoned wood. We currently have a huge set of woods behind our house now, we have just been collecting and cutting from fallen trees back there. Any idea how long to let them dry before use? Thank you guys so much for the info!

It really depends on what kind of wood and the size of the split. If what you have is whole and not split its going to be a long time and will start to rot if left. Take what you have, get it cut to lenth, split it and stack it in an area of sun and wind. Keep the the top covered with a sheet of wood to keep the rain off. Start with wood racks, then get a saw and a splitter and go to town.