New To Vermon Castings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Resolute2024

Mar 25, 2024
2004FordRanger
Just picked up a refurbished Vermont Castings 1979 Resolute Stove. My more modern Napolean is cracking (solid steel) at two corners after only 15 years. So, I decided to go old school and get one that is solid cast iron. No regrets this is a great-looking stove. Can't wait till the next burn season. Would like to know more about it and the best website for info, parts if and when I need them. And what experience anyone has had with these stoves? It has an exhaust reburn which I have never heard of either. My current stove has a convection type set up. Thanks a bunch!

Just picked up a refurbished Vermont Castings 1979 Resolute Stove. My more modern Napolean is cracking (solid steel) at two corners after only 15 years. So, I decided to go old school and get one that is solid cast iron. No regrets this is a great-looking stove. Can't wait till the next burn season. Would like to know more about it and the best website for info, parts if and when I need them. And what experience anyone has had with these stoves? It has an exhaust reburn which I have never heard of either. My current stove has a convection type set up. Thanks a bunch!
Those old vc stoves were fantastic stoves in their day. And still do well today but it will be no where near as efficient as your napoleon was

Do you know that its seals are still okay? It might leak like crazy and be in need of a rebuild...

Reactions: bholler
Do you know that its seals are still okay? It might leak like crazy and be in need of a rebuild...
Yeah i have seen way to many sold as "refurbished " that were simply cleaned up and painted

Also, I am not sure how long a Napoleon is supposed to last (what its quality is) but 15 years is not long. If it's cracking, I wonder if you are over firing?

How tall is your chimney?

all that the eye could see was done, it even had new pins on the doors. All new gaskets
But was the stove completely torn down and recemented? The rest of it is quick and easy

Reactions: stoveliker
Re:white zone, could you show a pic of where that was measured?

There is no ash door on this stove, right?

I have a Resolute II from 1989 and it is still being used in my front parlor. I also burn a Vigilant II which is in the kitchen. Attached is a manual for pre-1990 VC stoves which may be helpful.
2004 Ford Ranger - mine is a 1990. Other than being paid for for over 30 years it is a 5 speed. Cannot find them anymore unless you go to Europe.

Attachments

• Defiant_Vig_Res_Intre_Pre88.pdf
    5.5 MB · Views: 50
I have a Resolute II from 1989 and it is still being used in my front parlor. I also burn a Vigilant II which is in the kitchen. Attached is a manual for pre-1990 VC stoves which may be helpful.
2004 Ford Ranger - mine is a 1990. Other than being paid for for over 30 years it is a 5 speed. Cannot find them anymore unless you go to Europe.
Thanks a bunch for the manual. It will help a bunch.

This is my second Ranger, my first was a 2005 this one is a 2004 which I bought with 265,000 miles on the odometer. I picked it up about 4 years ago. It is a five-speed as well. I plan to do some work on it this year with the bed and cab corner.

125K burns a little oil and goes through coolant (suspect a cracked head but that was an issue with the 2.9 V6) so I have to keep it under 5000 miles a year in Pennsylvania. Going over that and it will not pass emissions. Started to do some body work when I get spare time.

125K burns a little oil and goes through coolant (suspect a cracked head but that was an issue with the 2.9 V6) so I have to keep it under 5000 miles a year in Pennsylvania. Going over that and it will not pass emissions. Started to do some body work when I get spare time.
That's not a pa requirement that's your locality. We have no emissions testing here.

I had a 99 ranger with the 4.0 auto. It was a fun truck but I decided I needed something more to haul with.

Yes you are correct. SE counties require emissions.

Reactions: bholler
Yes you are correct. SE counties require emissions.
BTW I have a 1990 bronco and a 1990 f250 HD now. Both good trucks although not much original left on the bronco. It now has a lightly built 351w holley efi a zf5 manual and atlas transfer case