New to wood heating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My first stove was a 1402 insert also. I found right away that I preferred strait in log loading (north south). This requires 15in to 16in long pieces of split wood. Just something to consider when buying wood, most people sell around 18in long splits here which can get really close to that nice glass door when loaded straight in. Bottom line I re-cut way do much wood my first years burning.

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk

Just in case you find yourself low, if not out of dry, seasoned wood, you might want to consider the compressed sawdust products (such as Eco or Bear bricks, or larger, log-like units like North Idaho Energy Logs.)

They burn consistently, and will provide heat in a pinch. Some users out here remark that they burn these compressed sawdust logs exclusively.

Just to be clear, go spend the extra $50-60 bucks and get the North Idaho Energy Logs. The Bear Mountain Bear Bricks are a complete disappointment. Right now I have a half of ton of each left and I've been comparing them all burn season. The BB balloon into pillows, provide little heat (I have to burn about 3 to 1 to get the same heat), and they are far more crumblier. Plus they burn in like 20 minutes while the N.I.E.L.s burn like an hour and a half. The biggest advantage Bear Bricks have is their shape -- the rectangle sure takes care of rolling logs inside the firebox. But that's it. They leave a lot of carbon ash.

You all experiment on your own -- but google around different sites and I think you'll find similar experiences to mine. I know for a fact I will not waste my time and buy these again.

I sold some to my friend who's a firewood hoarder and he had this to say, "I put one Idaho log in my box and load it with natural wood and I have trouble controlling the high heat. I put two of these in the mix instead and I'm barely getting any heat. Whatever the sawdust is, it's extremely cheap. Bear bricks are just bark it seems. I had a fire die out. I stuck the poker in the middle and found fresh sawdust in the middle, and it took off burning again. Man, I'm sorry you had to deal with these."

I buy Bear Mountain pellets and love them. I really wanted to like the bricks too because I can get them from the same seller. But I don't have anything good to say other than they trap the round logs from rolling around and act as basic filler -- sort of like a baked potato. Fine when it's all you've got left to eat.

North Idaho Energy Logs on the other hand... buy. Heavy. Compact. Loaded with heat. Just my two cents.

Last edited: