New to wood heating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brandon-roberts1969

Jan 21, 2022
Canada
Im new to burning wood and I have a wood stove in are living room . Im not comfortable with how hot it should get it seems to get around 600 650 and still going , I have a damper and a air control on top . I was wondering how you control your fire or if anyone has tips for a newbi thanks

What is the stove make and model?

The most common solution is to burn thicker splits with minimal air gaps between the wood pieces. Also, try turning down the air much sooner. Not to the point of completely suppressing all flame, but to the point of making the flames lazy, then wait for the fire to regain strength and turn down the air again until the flames get lazy.

warmock Hersey model jasper model number 001545 , I try to slow it down but almost seems like it’s just doing what it wants and keeps rising.

75CF763A-6B75-4295-9CC9-0C745FBF8A91.jpeg 793074D8-ECB9-4D3B-A962-916901B8F77B.png

That's an early Drolet Jasper. I don't know much about it. Does it have secondary combustion tubes above the baffle?

For sure, fully close down the flue pipe damper once the fire is burning well.

Where is that temperature measured?

Also, I'd check for air leaks in the stove (i.e. air inlets not controlled by the stove air control).

Magnetic on single wall or probe on double wall.

I could just be nervous where I’m new 600 is in operation temperature says I can go up to 900 but not recommend just don’t want to over fire and hurt anything

That is not too hot (at all). Up to 900 is ok.
If you're not able to quickly control it ,take action as begreen said by 800-850.

Of course this is valid for a flue install that is up to code with pipe and clearances.

Understandably. Just spend some time with the stove. Get to know how it behaves (in certain weather), and how you can control what it wants to do. Slowly increase fire size and flue temps.

Double wall is good.

Is it going straight up or thru the wall and out? How tall is the flue (stove top to chimney cap)?

Reactions: all night moe
It’s going straight up form the bottom to the top it’s about 17 feet . And as far as the damper how should I run that closed when the fire is going or just abit open

I would (but I have a different stove, so my advice might be off - begreen will likely see this and correct if needed) get the fire going good, and then in steps close the air control of the stove. You'd have to start doing that before you reach max flue temps.

If you snuff out the fire, you are closing too much (in that step).

I don't know precisely what that lever on the top of the stove is doing.

Ok. So you have a flue damper and a stove air control?

I think it's unlikely you need the flue damper at 17'.

Hm, that (too much draft pulling up the heat) is uncommon for an17' flue. Though maybe for an older stove it's possible.

Are you able to snuff out the flames with the air control? (If not you may have a leak in your stove.)

Yes. Do the dollar bill test: stick a dollar bill between the door and stove (cold of course) and pull it out. It should have some resistance. Check all around. If no resistance some places, the door is not sealing well enough.

Then see if you can adjust the handle tightness. If not a new gasket may be needed. Try to find a manual with gasket thickness for that.

If all is well, carefully check for leaks and cracks. Ashpan present? Closing well?

Nothing silly. It's a learning curve.