New to wood heating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Just be clear on terminology. Damper refers to the butterfly flap in the stove pipe.
Air control is the adjustment on the stove.

You will learn the stove with time. Just take mental notes of flue temp from your thermometer. And what the fire looks like. See how low a temp you can get and keep the fire cleanly burning. Start start turning air down sooner. That will keep things cooler. A good cruise burn will probably be 500-650 degrees
I really like my Auber at200 thermometer alarm. Being able to set a a high temp alarm is a great piece of mind.

Stove top temps are good to help get an idea of how much heat is being released. I like my IR thermometer gun. Get one that goes to 1000 degrees. Super handy.

Dollar bill test the door gasket when it’s cool enough to do so.

I'm glad you are seeing a nice improvement. You should be noting a nice improvement in heat output and stove control.

Reactions: all night moe
I'm glad to see many more new wood burners become independent.

That's fine. Just like with a baby you'll get confidence over time.

I got another question sorry to bother everyone. I was siting down watching tv and the stove was at 450/500 for hours then shot up to 600/650 had the air shut down never touched a thing is this normal am I not doing something right or being nervous. I have a damper in the flue it was open all the way

Likely the splits in your stove re-arranged (i.e. one fell down or so). That exposes new/more surface area to burn/gasify, so temps go up.

(Could in principle also be a wind/weather change, but I think it's the above.)

As long as it does not run away (and it didn't from what I read), it's fine.

Likely the splits in your stove re-arranged (i.e. one fell down or so). That exposes new/more surface area to burn/gasify, so temps go up.

(Could in principle also be a wind/weather change, but I think it's the above.)

As long as it does not run away (and it didn't from what I read), it's fine.
You mean bricks ? Lol

I was talking about wood splits, but if you are using sawdust bricks (biobricks), that could be the same: falling apart after burning for a while exposes new surface area, which outgases more, and temperature rises a bit.

The firebrick in your stove should not fall...

I had enough of fooling around with that old stove I got a new droplet escape 1800

9739C902-C039-4DDA-8655-20D42E260F2E.jpeg

Let us know how it goes. Better control, burn time?

Looks nice!

All right! Now yer cooking. Congratulations. You'll get more heat and burn less wood.

Nice. 10 hours is a fantastic night of sleep without having to relight. (Or, a day of work).

Good choice!

nice, Try "Top Down" fire starting. It's the best way to start fires in these stoves. We have lots of youtube vids if you need any help with how to set it up easily.