New to wood stove. Going basement route and could use some advice on sizing/brands.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I’ve got a company 2.5 hours away willing to do the install and they ordered a King 40 in June that wasn’t spoken for yet so I am putting a deposit on it. They’re going to come do a consult/inspection to get me a proper quote in October. Kinda pumped and hope everything works out okay for my chase being insulated, etc.

We were in the same decision tree last year. Our home is an 1800 sq ft basement and 1800 sf main floor, with a fully insulated (exterior wall) basement. Our basement has a walk-out for bringing in wood. The home insulation is R50, located in Ontario Canada. Last winter, our coldest night was -34C (-30F), with several 3-4 night stretches of -27C.

We settled on a Pacific Energy Summit LE, with the fan / blower option, in the basement. Burn only hardwood, primarily seasoned Ash, with some maple and elm. The Summit has been fantastic, heating the entire house by convection to the upstairs.

We settled on a Pacific Energy Summit LE, with the fan / blower option, in the basement. Burn only hardwood, primarily seasoned Ash, with some maple and elm. The Summit has been fantastic, heating the entire house by convection to the upstairs.
How do basement temps compare with upstairs?
Last winter, our coldest night was -34C (-30F), with several 3-4 night stretches of -27C.
Is that all? :)

Initially, takes some time for the basement to come up to temperature. Then the upstairs warms via convection.
The delta between basement and upstairs is around 5 deg C once stabilized. We keep the upstairs around 20C, the downstairs 25C.

I’ve got a company 2.5 hours away willing to do the install and they ordered a King 40 in June that wasn’t spoken for yet so I am putting a deposit on it. They’re going to come do a consult/inspection to get me a proper quote in October. Kinda pumped and hope everything works out okay for my chase being insulated, etc.
Any updates? I’m in a similar situation with your setup, and have been following your thread. Did you end up installing the King40? What did the dealer recommend after seeing your setup?

Any updates? I’m in a similar situation with your setup, and have been following your thread. Did you end up installing the King40? What did the dealer recommend after seeing your setup?
My chase will not fit the 8” required for a king 40 so I went with a Princess with parlor legs. Install is next week!

First fire of the year and ever, with my new Princess!

C38FD002-2AFF-41BF-84FE-90788A6B9CC3.jpeg

As the weather got cooler, running the basement Summit stove has been interesting. In a good way. When we built, we insulated the house very well, including the basement.

So far, our coldest night this heating season was -18C. Overall, it has been above seasonal. My lake is still open water in the middle, it is a deep lake (325ft) but usually it has froze by now.

As for the convection flow... there is a significant latency, where I can heat up the basement with the woodstove running all night, go to work in the AM and let the stove run down to coals while I am away. The heat from the basement continues to rise into the upstairs via the stairwell, and by the time I get home from work, the upstairs is still at 21C and the basement has cooled down to 17C. So the furnace never even kicked in, as the thermostat is on the main floor.

I stir the coals, load the stove, and repeat the cycle. I had budgeted for 3 days per week burning wood, but it has been 7/7 instead. The oil truck showed up this week, I intercepted him in the driveway and informed him our tank is still full, skip the refill. His previous customer was 575 liters of oil, and the total bill (taxes inc) was $1380 CAD. Ouch.

Sorry not sorry Oil company, but my stove and chimney are going to payback much sooner than I had planned.

Congrats on the new princess!

Do you have to lug all the wood through the house, down the stairs into the basement? Or is there a walk-out down there somewhere?

Reactions: Judge80
Congrats on the new princess!

Do you have to lug all the wood through the house, down the stairs into the basement? Or is there a walk-out down there somewhere?
I have to Amegebeli carriers I fill up and haul down. I try to do a few trips a day so I get a few days off every now and then

Reactions: mdocod
As the weather got cooler, running the basement Summit stove has been interesting. In a good way. When we built, we insulated the house very well, including the basement.

So far, our coldest night this heating season was -18C. Overall, it has been above seasonal. My lake is still open water in the middle, it is a deep lake (325ft) but usually it has froze by now.

As for the convection flow... there is a significant latency, where I can heat up the basement with the woodstove running all night, go to work in the AM and let the stove run down to coals while I am away. The heat from the basement continues to rise into the upstairs via the stairwell, and by the time I get home from work, the upstairs is still at 21C and the basement has cooled down to 17C. So the furnace never even kicked in, as the thermostat is on the main floor.

I stir the coals, load the stove, and repeat the cycle. I had budgeted for 3 days per week burning wood, but it has been 7/7 instead. The oil truck showed up this week, I intercepted him in the driveway and informed him our tank is still full, skip the refill. His previous customer was 575 liters of oil, and the total bill (taxes inc) was $1380 CAD. Ouch.

Sorry not sorry Oil company, but my stove and chimney are going to payback much sooner than I had planned.
I can echo your basement install results. Just 2 of us at home and when the temps are 20 to 30F we let the wood furnace go out while we are both at work. There is enough stored heat in the masonry mass that it radiates out and the house stays around 68F.
Basement isn't insulated in the furnace area and won't be because it's not worth it and would be a pain to do as well as add combustibles into the mix.