Q&A New to Wood Stoves - Can I install it myself?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Craig-Nice site!! My question is I bought a place in the country and want a second heat source. I would like to put in a wood stove. First there is only 1 stove shop around here and they sale mostly high end stoves and inserts. Im not cheap but I dont want to mortgage the farm to put a stove in. At Manards they sale stoves made by Century. The model Im looking at is 70 % efficient and heats up to 1500 sq ft. It takes a 22" log. They sale for 416.00 plus 108 for a blower. Do I want the blower? Have you heard of this brand before. They look like there built well but alas I dont no much about stoves either! Also there is no one that installs stoves around here. They have directions and I have been doing carpentry work for along time. I see by your site that you discourage do it yourselfers from attempting this. I do have a buddy who installed his own(from Manards) 2 years ago with no problems yet. His however was a different brand that they no longer sale. Any tips or info would sure be appreciated. Thanks Roger Sears

Answer:

If you are handy, AND IF YOU CAREFULLY READ THE MANUAL ON THE STOVE AND CHIMNEY, then you can install your stove yourself.

I have not heard of the brand you mentioned, but it might be a private label. Sounds like a good deal, since the efficiency is decent and it is almost definitely EPA tested and also safety tested.

When I had a retail shop, I sold stoves starting at about $549. Others went from $750. up. We also had the high end stoves, but I think it's nice to have something for every budget. I think this stove will suit your needs.

Perhaps you should wait on the blower. You can always go for it later.

Edit: Century stoves are manufactured by CFM corporation. They are fairly bare bones as far as features and styling go but do heat well.

Status
Not open for further replies.