New to wood stoves - what are your cool tricks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Certainly not my best work but this is just a bent coat hanger. Ugly but actually works really well.

F30D22F1-5AF8-41E4-B7AB-D8E51D5A036E.jpeg

Reactions: AstroBoy
I found myself "forgetting" when I did not have both gloves on as I moved the wood around was about to place my hand on the side of the stove to open the door wider and then I remembered I need "both gloves" on and its hard to get used to when you are not used to using gloves..now that would have been a "learning experience".. That hanger was a old one "nowadays" they are so very flimsy that they would not be a good tool like the one you have...clancey

Same here and I have the sergeant stripes on my forearms to prove my stove tending when I forget to put the big glove on lol.
I feel your pain--literally!

I have some inch lines on my knuckles from where I touched the air wash plate (and, shame, the bottom of the cat housing -, Tetris makes me do things...)

• Haha
Reactions: PAbeech and Prof
A good pair of gloves, get the 16" welders/fireplace ones, not the cheapo harbor freight shorter and thinner ones, or you'll end up with sergeant stripes that we talk about...you wanna know how I know?:rolleyes:

ha ha--yea I am looking for those 16 inch welders gloves but my home depot did not have any so I wait until I can find a pair without having to have mail come in--like to see the product first--lol..clancey