New toy!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

webby3650

Master of Fire
Sep 2, 2008
Indiana
This just made firewood cutting a lot more enjoyable! With the forks I will be able to set a face cord right on the patio by the door!

Attachments

• IMG_0635.JPG
    IMG_0635.JPG
    322.3 KB · Views: 477
That'll get it done.

Last edited:
So far I have 40 hrs on the my ck 4010, I've had to re-gen twice and fixing to change all my fluids at 60hrs. The machine has done everything I've thrown at it so far. I'm really impressed with mine, I just wish there weren't so many grease fittings lol.
The "live" rear hydro's are a blessing, this will allow for a "3rd" function for the front if you decide to get a grapple, or put a plow on for winter snow removal.
Some of the extra's I have now are a 60" rear grading blade, backhoe, and a pto wood chipper. I want to get forks, a snow bucket, build a carry all box (for wood gathering), ratchet rake, and box blade. I also recently purchased a 12k rated trailer to tow the machine around.

Reactions: heavy hammer
This just made firewood cutting a lot more enjoyable! With the forks I will be able to set a face cord right on the patio by the door!
I'm envious, how much weight will it pickup with the forks, I assume the bucket is on a quick attach plate

I'm envious, how much weight will it pickup with the forks, I assume the bucket is on a quick attach plate
It is a quick attach front end. The front loader will pick up 2900 lbs.

Sweet! I have used a buddy's tractor a couple of times loading rounds into the truck, it makes it easy.
Nice!

Reactions: webby3650
I'm going to store all my wood in metal bins way out in the field, each bin holds one face cord. A few buddies of mine do it this way, way less handling involved!

Reactions: brenndatomu
I'm going to store all my wood in metal bins way out in the field, each bin holds one face cord. A few buddies of mine do it this way, way less handling involved!

What are these "metal bins"?

I use homemade wooden racks...but more or less the same thing...a rack hauled right into the attached garage every couple weeks...
What are these "metal bins"?
Probably "IBC" totes...
upload_2017-7-23_23-14-7.png
Got a couple for sale if ya want...shipping might be rough though ;)

Reactions: webby3650
That's exactly what I'm talking about!

I've never seen one. "Intermediate Bulk Container" for people like me who didn't know. Looks like they hold about 37 cu. ft. or a bit over 1/4 cord.

I've never seen one. "Intermediate Bulk Container" for people like me who didn't know. Looks like they hold about 37 cu. ft. or a bit over 1/4 cord.
We can get right at 1/3 cord on them. Stacked and mounded up of course.

If your planning on moving 1/3 cords around I would recommend either building a carry all and loading it with ballest or filling the tires with calcium for additional weight.
I know these things can pick up a great deal of weight but when in motion the back end does break out a little and you have to remember that the only brakes are on the rear tires so if its lite in the butt end you could have some control issues, also tare up the lawn issues due to less than ideal traction.

If your planning on moving 1/3 cords around I would recommend either building a carry all and loading it with ballest or filling the tires with calcium for additional weight.
I know these things can pick up a great deal of weight but when in motion the back end does break out a little and you have to remember that the only brakes are on the rear tires so if its lite in the butt end you could have some control issues, also tare up the lawn issues due to less than ideal traction.

+1

Yep, you need serious counterweight on the back of that tractor to safely move 1/3 cord. A heavy rear implement would do the trick, too. I always tell new tractor owners to read up on the load ratings in the FEL manual. The sexy large MAX load rating is only for a load at the pivot and not very high off the ground. The MAX load rating drops rapidly as you move the weight farther out from the pivot and also drops as the load height increases. Additionally, the pallet forks will have its own MAX load rating. It often is larger than the MAX FEL rating but not always.

(And modern less corrosive liquids are available instead of calcium.)

Reactions: Grateful11
Yes, a counterweight is a must. I'm familiar the process.

Wonderful! I'm jealous of all you guys with tractors.

I'm waiting till my next move to buy one. I'll have more land and will want to wait to size it appropriately.

I'm waiting till my next move to buy one. I'll have more land and will want to wait to size it appropriately.
We just bought this place, it has 37 acres! With a 2 acre lake.

Not trying to hijack this thread but when you start shopping around look for something that is at or greater than 30 Hp and 4x4. I made the mistake last year of buying a 25hp and it took me a year to get out of denial, resell it and buy a 40hp one, also if hydrostatic trans isn't in your budget look for one with a shuttle shift that can be shifted using gears while in motion, some of the cheaper units provide gear shift but you have to pick your gear while in the stopped position, and if you want to go faster then you have to stop again and select the next highest gear.

Reactions: sportbikerider78
Mine is 45 horse turbo with shuttle shift. I'm not a fan of hydrostatic on a tractor this size.

Mine is 45 horse turbo with shuttle shift. I'm not a fan of hydrostatic on a tractor this size.
I'm envious, the DK series is awesome, I wish I could fit one in my garage, instead I had to stop at the ck4010.
I wish you the best of luck, also FYI, Kioti is the parent company of bobcat, so if there's a dealer closer you could always go there

I'm envious, the DK series is awesome, I wish I could fit one in my garage, instead I had to stop at the ck4010.
I wish you the best of luck, also FYI, Kioti is the parent company of bobcat, so if there's a dealer closer you could always go there
That's why I ended up at Kioti, the dealer is only about 10 miles away and was very friendly and helpful. Unlike the Deere dealer who completely ignored me...

Reactions: TreePointer
That's why I ended up at Kioti, the dealer is only about 10 miles away and was very friendly and helpful. Unlike the Deere dealer who completely ignored me...
So the first big thing to lift is the front end of a car, @Ashful loves those pics..

Any idea of how much more a Deere with the same specs would have cost?