new Vapor Fire 100 with very poor heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
please don't make me go and find it...

I know how I heat my house. Yes, the LP is set to kick on at 68°. I thought you were trying to tell me I heat with LP to get the house above 68°. Looking back at my records the LP did run for 86 minutes total the morning of the 31st when it was -37°. This was in between the night and morning load.

This is the one I posted above, which you think I'm BSing you on.
1/20/19....no LP used.
DSC00725.JPG

One from 2016, no LP used:
DSC00136.JPG

LP furnace ran for a TOTAL of 111 minutes from the 24th through Feb 1st. The night load of the 26th is when I had a bad load (piece of wet wood) which caused the house temp to drop and LP to kick in.

Here were the temps of those days:

24th: HI: 21°, LOW: 2°...........no LP help
25th: HI: 2°, LOW: -10°...........no LP help
26th: HI: 6°, LOW: -18°...........bad night load, LP ran 25 minutes
27th: HI: 5°, LOW: -9°...........no LP help
28th: HI: 14°, LOW: 1°...........no LP help
29th: HI: 4°, LOW: -15°...........no LP help
30th: HI: -11°, LOW: -30°...........no LP help
31st: HI: -3°, LOW: -37°...........LP ran 86 minutes in between night and morning load
1st: HI: 14°, LOW: -8°...........no LP help

I used a total of $1.52 of LP (1.5 gallons) over that stretch, based on furnace runtime.

Bottom line is, since I installed the Kuuma, over the past almost 6 heating seasons, I am heating 99%+ with wood when we are home. Over the past four heating seasons (when I started to keep track of supplemental LP use vs LP used when not home) we have used a TOTAL of 9 gallons of LP to supplement our wood heat when the house temp dropped below 68° on very cold mornings. That's an average of 2.25 gallons of LP a winter. Still don't believe me, well that's not my problem.

would you like me to keep looking?

sure, I'd love for you to, but I'd rather have you stop posting when you can't seem to control your alcohol consumption. Posting when under the influence is generally not a good idea, makes it seem like you have a split personality disorder or something. ;lol I laugh, but it's actually kinda sad. It's very noticeable in type when you are on the sauce.

Last edited:
Reactions: garmford
Our house is not efficient either....used to use 1,200-1,300 gallons of LP a year to keep the place 68°. This was averaged over 6 years of strictly LP use.

Just got back from a weeks vacation last night and put the LP thermostat at 55° while we were gone.

Here's some data from while we were gone:

I did not load the Kuuma before we left.

My plenum temp probe is on top of the Kuuma's plenum, when the LP furnace kicks in, even though the powered damper closes and blocks off airflow to the Kuuma/probe, it still warms up the Kuuma plenum a bit. This is how I was able to tell when the LP furnace kicked in. The graph looked like saw teeth. The colder it was outside the closer together the "teeth" LOL Meaning the furnace was kicking in more often.

This graph is from a ~25 hour period ending on Jan 30th. Each spike in temp represents when the LP furnace kicked in. I had 6 of these graphs to look through over the time we were gone. Outside temps ranged from 19° at the beginning of the graph to a high of 27° back down to 22° at the end.

1580511668143.png

LP ran for a total of 1,458 minutes keeping the house at 55°. Outside temps ranged from high teens to low 30's. Looking at my graphs while we were gone, the furnace kicked it a total of 193 times!! House coasted down for a day or so from it being in the 70's. It first kicked in at 9:45pm Jan 24th and the last time, before I remotely set the temp at 70° three hours before we got home, was at 7pm on Jan 30th. We got home about 10pm on the 30th and I immediately made a fire and turned the heat off. So the furnace actually ran a total of 1,638 minutes, but 180 of those minutes were from raising the house temp from 55° to 70° (which it still was not 70° in the house when we got home....it was 67°).

So....over those 141.25 hours (8,475 minutes) when the house was being kept at 55°, the furnace ran for 1,458 minutes. 75KBTU/hr LP furnace and 91,500 BTU's/gal. If my math is correct, this comes out to an average of almost 13,000 BTU's/hr GROSS to keep the house at 55° at those previously mentioned high teens/low 30's outside temps. We have a 90% LP furnace.

Last edited:
OK... I got the part that your trying to discredit me and thats OK I didnt come here to make friends. I think I said all I'm going to here. Thanks

IMO the VP100's are hyped up on here
Sorry you are not yet getting the results you had hoped for. In my opinion the Kuuma is "under hyped". I had high hopes for this furnace when buying it, and it has exceeded all expectations I had. I am heating a large circa 1867 house. Last nite at 11pm I put on four 5-7" splits with temps at 22. By morning the temps had fallen to 16, threw on 4 more splits at 9am. and the house holding at a comfortable 68. Good luck going forward.

Sorry you are not yet getting the results you had hoped for. In my opinion the Kuuma is "under hyped". I had high hopes for this furnace when buying it, and it has exceeded all expectations I had. I am heating a large circa 1867 house. Last nite at 11pm I put on four 5-7" splits with temps at 22. By morning the temps had fallen to 16, threw on 4 more splits at 9am. and the house holding at a comfortable 68. Good luck going forward.
Thank you for saying so... I'm not talking about it on here anymore though. When people start making things personall that's were I'm drawing a line. I emailed the web master of this site this morning and asked to have my account removed.

I emailed the web master of this site this morning and asked to have my account removed.
Well, now I'm disappointed too.
You come on here bellyaching about a first rate machine that is not working right because the (not so) "professional" install was botched, and the homes heat load is way above and beyond what said machine is capable of dealing with...you get a ton of good advice, make some changes, (and get some improvements) then bail out before the end of the story!
If you have a problem with someone, just click on the members username and hit the ignore button for that member, then you won't see their posts...don't punish yourself and the rest of us because you were offended...I say "yourself" because you are the one that will be missing out on some really great free advice...instead of the 2cnd rate help you have been paying for locally!
Hope you hang around...if not, best of luck with things.

Posting when under the influence is generally not a good idea, makes it seem like you have a split personality disorder or something. ;lol I laugh, but it's actually kinda sad. It's very noticeable in type when you are on the sauce.

Sure @gary38532 is frustrated, but he definitely didn't deserve this statement.

JRHAWK9 is a very helpful poster here (in this thread, as well as in the rest of the forum), and did not deserve to get poked repeatedly, nor accused of BS. He was being mistreated, figured out the reason for it, and said so.

Sure @gary38532 is frustrated, but he definitely didn't deserve this statement.

IMO an apology is owed.

;lol

Wait a sec. Someone goes on a drunken rant accusing me of making chit up and I call him out on it, provide actual data and I need to apologize. :rolleyes: ;lol The truth hurts sometimes and I will not apologize for speaking the truth and for the return of the aggressive rhetoric. I don't take being told I make things up lightly. If someone can't take the heat, they shouldn't have lit the match.

My initial post was a light-hearted response to someone else who happened to be a few states away with the same indoor and outdoor temps with similar end of burn coals at the exact same time. Thought it was a neat coincidence, and was all I was trying to convey. Then someone comes along and wants something different, implying how it's not possible or how I can't provide it. I provide it and then he tells me I'm making it up. Knowing he was on the sauce by now I shouldn't have taken the bait, but I did. I do regret taking the bait, but I wanted to clarify the facts and provide data for anybody who maybe reading this post later doing their own research on furnaces....instead of reading a bunch of useless rants and opinions by someone who was obviously not in a good head space.

Last edited:
;lol

Wait a sec. Someone goes on a drunken rant accusing me of making chit up and I call him out on it, provide actual data and I need to apologize. :rolleyes: ;lol The truth hurts sometimes and I will not apologize for speaking the truth and for the return of the aggressive rhetoric. I don't take being told I make things up lightly. If someone can't take the heat, they shouldn't have lit the match.

My initial post was a light-hearted response to someone else who happened to be a few states away with the same indoor and outdoor temps with similar end of burn coals at the exact same time. Thought it was a neat coincidence, and was all I was trying to convey. Then someone comes along and wants something different, implying how it's not possible or how I can't provide it. I provide it and then he tells me I'm making it up. Knowing he was on the sauce by now I shouldn't have taken the bait, but I did. I do regret taking the bait, but I wanted to clarify the facts and provide data for anybody who maybe reading this post later doing their own research on furnaces....instead of reading a bunch of useless rants and opinions by someone who was obviously not in a good head space.

@JRHAWK9 I don't think you understand the point. For one, you (nor I) know if @gary38532 was drinking or not. You were up as late if not later than he was posting (possibly also drinking).

Gary and myself have PM'd a few times and his frustration were in the making and was not directed towards any individual member.

Either way to bring mental illness as a way to argue is a sensitive topic for many, and shouldn't be used in that context.

I'd be upset to if i were in his position considering he was following all the advice that was given. (No ones fault ofcourse that it didn't work out) but the fanboy attitude I believe rubbed him the wrong way.

Status
Not open for further replies.