new Vapor Fire 100 with very poor heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad that I didn't replace them because I thought it was going to help with heating/cooling the house, because it didn't make a lot of difference. I think windows are often oversold for helping with heating/cooling.
Not to veer too far off topic. We are going to be replacing 10 el cheapo single hung windows this winter / spring with a really good Provia R-5 double pane double hung window. I agree with @brenndatomu that windows do not have a great of an ROI as some people make them out to be.

However, we have 6 high end ( R-4 maybe R-5 ) double hung double pane windows in our house addition that never feel cold, have ice on them, or have condensation on them. The windows we are replacing have all of these things. I'd have to think that the cold air coming off of the older windows and dropping to the floor would cause the house to be colder. Will I ever see my $7,000 back, probably not, but everyone I've talked says their house feels "warmer". My feet are always cold so personally I think I'll feel "warmer". I will soon find out......

Not to veer too far off topic. We are going to be replacing 10 el cheapo single hung windows this winter / spring with a really good Provia R-5 double pane double hung window. I agree with @brenndatomu that windows do not have a great of an ROI as some people make them out to be.

However, we have 6 high end ( R-4 maybe R-5 ) double hung double pane windows in our house addition that never feel cold, have ice on them, or have condensation on them. The windows we are replacing have all of these things. I'd have to think that the cold air coming off of the older windows and dropping to the floor would cause the house to be colder. Will I ever see my $7,000 back, probably not, but everyone I've talked says their house feels "warmer". My feet are always cold so personally I think I'll feel "warmer". I will soon find out......
We sprang for Marvin triple pane casement and awning windows with no ragrets, not even a single letter.

Reactions: brenndatomu
We sprang for Marvin triple pane casement and awning windows with no ragrets, not even a single letter.
I'm thinking about triples in our kitchenette. It has 4 windows in a very small area and that room is either hot or cold. Triple pane R-9 windows are an extra $130 a piece. I doubt I'd ever get that money back though. You are in a much different climate than what I'm in.

Reactions: brenndatomu
I'm thinking about triples in our kitchenette. It has 4 windows in a very small area and that room is either hot or cold. Triple pane R-9 windows are an extra $130 a piece. I doubt I'd ever get that money back though. You are in a much different climate than what I'm in.
We did it more for sound reduction than insulation value.

All good suggestions and I would do them as soon as possible. I DID, come to think of it. I can't put a price on my comfort and the environment, however I don't think that's the problem here. Whatever it is. it's huge. A low R value window is not going to freeze you out on a 29 degree clear day. Hell, I can shut off my heat during a 30 degree sunny day in the morning and coast all day maintaining 70 degrees throughout the day and I do not have one south facing window.

I don't have the answer but one other thing entered my mind. What is the make-up of the soil in the area of the house? I ask because r it's a well known fact that water or wet soil is a good conduit for conducting heat away from the foundation. Homes built in sandy well drained areas are noticeable warmer than those built in wicking soil. You can tell which ones they are when you drive by them. Sand equals lousy lawn. Clay or heavy soil equals nice grass. I have nice grass which means I had to do some perimeter work when I first bought the place. Fortunately I have my own backhoe but the trucked in back fill cost a fortune. No regrets!

I went with Low E glass at my previous house and there was a noticeable difference in conductivity. They did however reduce the solar gain.

I went with Low E glass at my previous house and there was a noticeable difference in conductivity. They did however reduce the solar gain.
Good point, I went with low E glass too...IMO, that was a mistake this far north. We get no solar gain now.
I feel like we lost more than we gained. If we were further south and ran the AC more, might be a different story.

Marvin offers three different low E coatings so we went with low E1 which they claim still allows solar gain. Our sliding glass doors that face south are unfortunately low E3 coated, but we didn't have a choice on that one... They definitely don't let in as much heat as the original non coated doors, but the new doors keep in more heat, let in less air, and aren't cloudy. There are plans for a different setup all together, but that's getting too far off topic.

tagging to read the whole thing. We have a VF100 in our ~3800 sq ft house (with high vaulted ceilings), and it provides 100% of the heat for the home until the outside temps are in the high teens. I cannot fathom a VF100 in a home of the OP's sq footage, and it not burning you out.

tagging to read the whole thing. We have a VF100 in our ~3800 sq ft house (with high vaulted ceilings), and it provides 100% of the heat for the home until the outside temps are in the high teens. I cannot fathom a VF100 in a home of the OP's sq footage, and it not burning you out.
Yeah yeah but its true... the duct work never really gets all to warm... IMO the VP100's are hyped up on here.... they just dont make that much heat. I know what your going to say.... heats my place fine.... well in my case the stove is like the sun inside and the duct work is cool except when the fire is at its peak and even then its not very warm. Its makes 93 degree air that's about it... my Clayton made much hotter air and it heat the house fast and well. The lamppa burns half the fuel with half the heat. No gains just a trade... less wood for less heat. There lots of other things I hate about the VF100 but the fact that its a poor heater is a good enough for now.

On a side note Im picking up my pellet burner tomorrow... after I get it installed I plan to test both stoves... see which can heat the house better. If the pellet stove out does the Lamppa then they suck case and point. So time will tell...

There's nothing to do with hype. If you have an evaluation done on a home and it has 100k btu loss and you install a 50k btu furnace, it doesn't mean the furnace is at fault....it's just a misjudgment in choice. It doesn't mean that the furnace or company is at fault. This applies to anything you buy, automobiles, tractors, heaters, etc. I've gone hours with little to no heat in 30 degree weather with a degree or two loss. Oh yeah, and my register temps average around the 90's when the furnace is in operation. It's a case of the improper heater for the home, not the brand or company.

There's nothing to do with hype. If you have an evaluation done on a home and it has 100k btu loss and you install a 50k btu furnace, it doesn't mean the furnace is at fault....it's just a misjudgment in choice. It doesn't mean that the furnace or company is at fault. This applies to anything you buy, automobiles, tractors, heaters, etc. I've gone hours with little to no heat in 30 degree weather with a degree or two loss. Oh yeah, and my register temps average around the 90's when the furnace is in operation. It's a case of the improper heater for the home, not the brand or company.
90s not very warm.... Ive been over this with the blower test before... its not that I wont get one done... its that I cant... no one does them out here where I live... and I got the whole btu rating thing a long time ago... I still say they are hype right up... Its like this... What does god use to heat heaven? well thats a easy question my son... A VF100. hahahaha

Its like this... What does god use to heat heaven? well thats a easy question my son... A VF100. hahahaha
;lol
That's a good one...Lamppa may want to use it in their ads!
"Even the Lord God Almighty himself chooses Kuuma Vaporfire"
;lol

Reactions: gary38532
On a serious topic, it is heating good these days in 30. I just turned it down a little... starting to get too warm... I still need lots more for a real winter... and this one was far from what is the norm here in PA.... I'm hoping for good things when I have both stoves in here... and I make improvements over time.

On a side note Im picking up my pellet burner tomorrow... after I get it installed I plan to test both stoves... see which can heat the house better. If the pellet stove out does the Lamppa then they suck case and point. So time will tell...
Thing about a "head to head" test is that you will have the radiant heat from the pellet pig...so it will "feel" warmer to you, at least in that room...radiant heat always "feels" warmer than convective...

Thing about a "head to head" test is that you will have the radiant heat from the pellet pig...so it will "feel" warmer to you, at least in that room...radiant heat always "feels" warmer than convective...
I plan to push it around with the fan from the VF100 with no fire to help even the playing ground

I plan to put the pellet burner in the living room (coldest room in the house)... the most air movement is in there... two of the biggest ducts in the house are in that room... far from a fair test I know... I still think it will be worth knowing

It's 30 degrees out and 75 degrees in the house with this fire. Blower on low with a 89 degree temp coming from the closet register from the woodfurnace. It will remain this way for at least another hour before I load for bed. Prior to this, I would have had the furnace burning full bore before the improvements to maintain 68 degrees in the house. Yes....tightening a house can make that much difference. Been there...done that!

Attachments

• 20200131_195323.jpg
    20200131_195323.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 162
Status
Not open for further replies.