New VC Encore Non-cat technology vs. cat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmurray04

Feb 22, 2006
I have an 1990 model Intrepid II stove that barely heats approx. 1500 square feet in our Connecticut winters. The only thing I hate with the Intrepid is the cat life and size of logs it holds. I'm looking at the new non-cat encore models and considering giving one a try plus I want a little bigger stove..

Does anyone have an opinion on this stove? Does it burn as advertised?

It does, it's a great stove. I sold 4 of them this year and not one complaint about it not heating. In fact the only complaint I had was from guy that couldn't get the fan to turn on. He wasn't burning it hot enough. Also Lopi is coming out with a non-cat, top loading stove and get this it has an ashpan. I about fell over or atleast checked for flying pigs when I saw an ashpan on a Lopi.

As you found out the intrepid was never designed to heat 1500 sqft It does what it is suposed to do be a medium to large room area heater. As for the cat, off market ones are $60 and bi yearly cleaning works quite well. Nothing but good to report about the
off brand cat. The new Encore has the same capacity as the Resolute Acclaim, both have the new ever burn technology. Also you might want to consider the dutchwest but Top loading sure is sweet

Thanks for the replies. I'm just having problems with my cat stove and want to get away from it. I lost two cats in five years and the aftermarket one I tried (stovecombusters.com) seemed to really slow the flow of the gasses and keep the stove from firing correctly; plus it clogs on a frequent basis with ash all the time.

I'm assuming because this stove is meant to be an occasional room heater it can't take daily use over the winter without the cats burning out of them.

I have to stay with the toploader becase of my corner heath design. A side loader like the ducthwest or morso just wont work in my application.

Think the Intrepid is going on Ebay and I'm going to order my new stove next week.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.