New Way To Stack...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HisTreeNut

Minister of Fire
Nov 3, 2014
Burnsville, NC
I don't have a shed and have other projects that are more important as per the wifey.
I stack wood on pallets but suffer from scrounged wood syndrome...everyone's 18" is not the same, which makes nice, sturdy stacks tough to do.
So the wifey offered an idea an I came up with a less expensive solution that is working great! I have access to free pallets and I purchased some metal T fence stakes. Used the stakes to make a box of sorts. The box is 2 pallets deep, and I used 4 stakes on each pallet side. Seems to work real well and the kiddos are impressed.
What do you all think (and if it was your idea and I saw it here...Thanks!!!)?
Now, I just have to finish stacking my latest scrounges...
New Way To Stack...
New Way To Stack...New Way To Stack...

Last edited:
I have done this for years! Works great!

I have done this for years! Works great!
I am very pleased. I am not sure why I did not do something like this sooner as opposed to the leaning stacks I have dealt with over the years.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

I bought these cheap galvanized panels from TSC to strengthen the floor..they work great! My buddy took this concept a step further and actually built small sheds out of the pallets with roofs made from salvaged tin...cheap storage..

Attachments

• New Way To Stack...
    IMG_3287.JPG
    293.7 KB · Views: 373
  • New Way To Stack...
    IMG_3288.JPG
    293.7 KB · Views: 385
  • New Way To Stack...
    IMG_3297.JPG
    269.3 KB · Views: 387
  • New Way To Stack...
    IMG_3301.JPG
    338.8 KB · Views: 360
I bought these cheap galvanized panels from TSC to strengthen the floor..they work great! My buddy took this concept a step further and actually built small sheds out of the pallets with roofs made from salvaged tin...cheap storage..
I keep hearing about salvaged tin, but never find any. It's the hardest thing to scavenge. Pallets, no problem, glass, lots of that around, sheet metal, no dice.

I don't have a shed and have other projects that are more important as per the wifey.
I stack wood on pallets but suffer from scrounged wood syndrome...everyone's 18" is not the same, which makes nice, sturdy stacks tough to do.
So the wifey offered an idea an I came up with a less expensive solution that is working great! I have access to free pallets and I purchased some metal T fence stakes. Used the stakes to make a box of sorts. The box is 2 pallets deep, and I used 4 stakes on each pallet side. Seems to work real well and the kiddos are impressed.
What do you all think (and if it was your idea and I saw it here...Thanks!!!)?
Now, I just have to finish stacking my latest scrounges...
View attachment 241116View attachment 241114View attachment 241115
Why don't you just take this one step further, and build a big shed out of pallets?

Reactions: HisTreeNut
I keep hearing about salvaged tin, but never find any. It's the hardest thing to scavenge. Pallets, no problem, glass, lots of that around, sheet metal, no dice.
My buddy was in the right place at the right time when a old barn was torn down..he still has a big pile left over.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Same here, also goes for rubbing roofing.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
If you know of anyone who does metal roofs they can be a great source for some free metal roofing! All metal ships with cover sheets that can not be used on the roof due to scratches and not being pristine. And there is usually a little left over...my son worked for a metal roofer for 3 summers...I have one heck of pile out there waiting to go on my 3rd barn lean-to for wood storage...these 2 are finished now...I poured the concrete back in the spring.....just have to add firewood..:)

Attachments

• New Way To Stack...
    IMG_2936.JPG
    212.9 KB · Views: 336
  • New Way To Stack...
    IMG_2980.JPG
    206.1 KB · Views: 321
Reactions: Lone_Gun
Why don't you just take this one step further, and build a big shed out of pallets?
Eventually, that's the goal. Gotta get a few more pallets.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

That's a great idea, my racks are all broken and/or rotted, when I rebuild them this spring I'm going to get some of those.

That's a great idea, my racks are all broken and/or rotted, when I rebuild them this spring I'm going to get some of those.
Those wire panels really stiffen the floor up and makes it much easier to walk on them...I used a few fence staples to keep them in place.

You can really stiffen things up by getting some rope and running a rope between the poles about 3 feet up on either side of the stack and tying it off to the posts. Then just stack over the rope. If you dont do that the frost usually slowly allows the posts to lean outwards.

I just lay 4 pallets for a base, then walk around in circles. Ya might get dizzy but its a great way to stack without taking up lots of footprint space. Just sayin. (See avatar pic.)

I just lay 4 pallets for a base, then walk around in circles. Ya might get dizzy but its a great way to stack without taking up lots of footprint space. Just sayin. (See avatar pic.)
I stacked 4 of these this past summer. What are you seeing as far a dry time? And how does the stuff thrown in the middle dry in comparison to the outer shell?

You can really stiffen things up by getting some rope and running a rope between the poles about 3 feet up on either side of the stack and tying it off to the posts. Then just stack over the rope. If you dont do that the frost usually slowly allows the posts to lean outwards.

I wish I had known this. Right after we got moved into the house I built a quick rack out of a deck we had to demo. The frost indeed forced my ends outwards.

I'm considering doing this as well, but maybe putting a tarp over it rather than the bark thing, we have a lot of wind here. Our house is on the top of a hill, so I'm thinking about making level spots with pallets along the edge of the trees and stacking wood on them. Our house took three months to close, so we weren't as prepared for winter as we wanted to be. I built three hasty racks out of whatever pallets and lumber I had laying around. The round German method seems much better.