New Wood delivery For Free ...Pictures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
Any Idea how to tackle the large stumps?? There is pine, oak, beech, ash, and ceder etc. The truck driver said weighted more that 17000 lbs.

Attachments

• wood pile 4.jpg
    wood pile 4.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 608
  • wood pile 2.jpg
    wood pile 2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 630
  • wood pile 1.jpg
    wood pile 1.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 624
  • wood pile 4.jpg
    wood pile 4.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 638
Pretty good for free!
What do you have for saw/splitter etc...
Probably have to start noodling the larger stumps to get them to a managable size.

Big stump! only way I know how noodle it! hope you have a good saw?

To tackle, it is best to grab around the lower legs... Oh wait.

A sledge and wedges is the way to go if you can't do it with hydraulics. It looks like you could cut them a bit shorter too and that will make splitting easier. It really is not bad splitting large stuff. It is just that folks seem to equate large logs with splitting hard. That is not necessarily so! I always liked splitting that big stuff and never resorted to the "noodling" thing. In fact, I detest it. An ugly way to get the job done indeed.

Or, if you are daring...get a little electric chain saw and take a shot at carving a bear or moose our of that big ole stump...that thing is freaking gynormous :)

Backwoods Savage said:
To tackle, it is best to grab around the lower legs... Oh wait.

A sledge and wedges is the way to go if you can't do it with hydraulics. It looks like you could cut them a bit shorter too and that will make splitting easier. It really is not bad splitting large stuff. It is just that folks seem to equate large logs with splitting hard. That is not necessarily so! I always liked splitting that big stuff and never resorted to the "noodling" thing. In fact, I detest it. An ugly way to get the job done indeed.

That first line was funny....you are such a jokester %-P

If my father ever caught me standing around with my hands in my pockets, he'd kick my butt and tell me to get busy. Lots of stuff than can be done while you ponder that big stump. Just cut a ring around it and start chipping splits off the edge. Repeat until it's all gone.

I have a 33 ton troy bilt splitter, an 8 lb maul, and a Fiskars splitting axe. For saws I have a Husky 345 w/ 16 inch bar. My brother has a Huskey 455 Rancher with a 20 inch bar on it. Waiting for my old Jonsered 625 to come out of the shop.

LLigetfa said:
Just cut a ring around it and start chipping splits off the edge. Repeat until it's all gone.

Could be the best advice I've ever heard for dealing with the big stuff!

Send it to Quads he'll split it then send back.

zap

Looks like the stump is punk enough in the middle that you should be able to roll it on its side and cut it in half with a 16" bar. Nice score, 17K lbs is a lot o btus.

kwikrp said:
I have a 33 ton troy bilt splitter, an 8 lb maul, and a Fiskars splitting axe. For saws I have a Husky 345 w/ 16 inch bar. My brother has a Huskey 455 Rancher with a 20 inch bar on it. Waiting for my old Jonsered 625 to come out of the shop.

jonsered may do it if not it looks like silver maple a maul will do it like everyone else said just work the outter edges

Man, this is the perfect post to quiet the street talk of the Mighty Fiskars...........
Just "John Henry" that big stump.

WoodButcher

WOODBUTCHER said:
Man, this is perfect post to quiet the street talk of the Mighty Fiskars...........
Just "John Henry" that big stump.

WoodButcher

lol

Had some like that last year, I used wedges to split the big ones into quarters then cut to length and on to the splitter. Watched a tree service guy use his big husky with a 24" bar carve a couple up into wedges. One tree was huge about 1/3 larger than the one pictured and he did the wedges from about 8' to 10' on down.

LLigetfa said:
If my father ever caught me standing around with my hands in my pockets, he'd kick my butt and tell me to get busy. Lots of stuff than can be done while you ponder that big stump. Just cut a ring around it and start chipping splits off the edge. Repeat until it's all gone.

+1. Wedge and sledge. It will all break apart - just takes time.

Status
Not open for further replies.