New wood stove 6in flu

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

96camarors

Oct 23, 2021
Mass
Hello I am currently looking for a new stove with a 6in rear exit. I am currently running a Fisher Papa Bear stove that was my first stove in the house last season. I was pretty satisfied with it and was able to cut my heating bill in half last year. However with the amount of wood it consumes I have started to look at something that will be a bit more efficient. My house is about 3700 square ft and I am looking for something with a little more heating capacity. The stove is located in a living room that is open to the second floor above, so heat transfers very easily where the location is. Any recommendations for the highest heating capacity stove I can find with a 6in rear flue?

Thank you in advance! Also attached a picture of my current setup.

20201128_142733.jpg

The Jotul F55 is a large modern stove that can rear vent. The flue collar top is at 30", but there is a short leg kit that reduces this to 26 3/4". The Woodstock Ideal Steel which can go as low as 27.5" for rear vent flue outlet height. The Vermont Castings Defiant is at about 28.5".

Reactions: Shrewboy
The Jotul F55 is a large modern stove that can rear vent. The flue collar top is at 30", but there is a short leg kit that reduces this to 26 3/4". The Woodstock Ideal Steel which can go as low as 27.5" for rear vent flue outlet height. The Vermont Castings Defiant is at about 28.5".
The ideal steel has definitely been on my radar. I am only concerned if it would be enough for the house as it seems to be rated at about the same Sq ft as the Papa Bear. I know I would definitely save a lot of wood with the IS. Thank you for the recommendations!

These are the largest on the market that can rear vent. 3,000 sq ft is a large area to heat with any single stove. If it is possible to reduce the home's heat losses, that would be a good place to invest.

Reactions: all night moe
Is it possible to keep your existing stove where it is and add another?
I have the equivaent to your Fisher and they are wonderful stoves. With the right wood and good rope gasket I have gotten 10 hr burn times. I usually load mine 3-4 times a day when home with smaller wood loads. Stuff it full when gone for 8hrs or more. To help conserve wood on the coldest days, I spend my time in the house. I'll tend the stove about every hour during the day, while giving myself an "easy day" around the house. 4500 sq ft here with a Thermocontrol wood furnace in the basement. It alone wood be adequate at 200k BTUs but with much of the air ducts going through crawl space, the forced air cools considerably. The All Nighter helps with the other end of the house.

These are my thoughts, With two stoves you could burn smaller fires in both. I would burn a lot more in the furnace without the stove added.

I have the equivaent to your Fisher and they are wonderful stoves. With the right wood and good rope gasket I have gotten 10 hr burn times. I usually load mine 3-4 times a day when home with smaller wood loads. Stuff it full when gone for 8hrs or more. To help conserve wood on the coldest days, I spend my time in the house. I'll tend the stove about every hour during the day, while giving myself an "easy day" around the house. 4500 sq ft here with a Thermocontrol wood furnace in the basement. It alone wood be adequate at 200k BTUs but with much of the air ducts going through crawl space, the forced air cools considerably. The All Nighter helps with the other end of the house.

These are my thoughts, With two stoves you could burn smaller fires in both. I would burn a lot more in the furnace without the stove added.
I have thought about doing a second stove but where my chimeny is located in the house I would have to put the second stove in my master bedroom and it wouldn't circulate through the house very well. I wish I could get that 10 hr burn time. I have sealed it up as best I can and I can get about 6hrs throwing really good heat and then my stack Temps start dropping into the 200-300 range.

Would adding a metal chimney for a second stove in another location be possible? This might only need to be used in the coldest weather. FYI A wood stove is not permitted in a bedroom except under special circumstances.

Would adding a metal chimney for a second stove in another location be possible? This might only need to be used in the coldest weather. FYI A wood stove is not permitted in a bedroom except under special circumstances.
Yes I could add a metal chimney on the opposite side of the house on the same floor. That could be the other route I take, I will have to start pricing out chimneys

The difference between old stoves like that and modern ones is the efficiency. With a modern stove you will get much more heat out of each piece of wood

Reactions: all night moe
The difference between old stoves like that and modern ones is the efficiency. With a modern stove you will get much more heat out of each piece of wood
Agreed. And if I was ever to do a second stove in place of the wood furnace I'd be looking for a BK. Although, I really have a liking for the Hearthstoves ...... (spelling?) The ones wrapped in soap stone.

Interesting stove idea.

Can you add more pictures of how the flue piping and connector works? That looks like a fireplace that was converted to stove duty. What piping did you use? Did you replace an original double wall flue with the insulated 6"? Or line existing with insulated 6"?