new woodstock vs used Hearthstone H-II

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Apr 6, 2016
pacific Northwest
Debating on whether or not to buy a new Woodstock Ideal steel soaptsone for 3,000 shipped or a Hearthstone H-II in very good shape for 500.00.

I like the rear flue exit of the Woodstock so I don't have to punch a thimble in my fireplace, saves about 500.00 in chimney mason costs.
The hearthstone H-II is top exit and NO kits exists for rear flue conversion. Price is great considering they are very expensive.

Not sure how Woodstock compares to Hearthstone in regards to efficiency of burning wood. Are to be heated is 1800 sq feet.

Thank you in advance.
Antonio

Debating on whether or not to buy a new Woodstock Ideal steel soaptsone for 3,000 shipped or a Hearthstone H-II in very good shape for 500.00
Spend the money on the Woodstock. Burn clean, get more heat out of your wood, and get a quality built and engineered piece that will keep you happy for a long time. Did I mention that I like their products? ;)

That's going to be plenty of stove to heat 1800 sq.ft. , even if you are in the mountains..unless it's leaky as all get-out, and uninsulated, with a few windows missing.

I agree that the Ideal Steel would be the better choice, but shipping to the west coast is a killer. Ask if they are extending their free shipping deal still.

The hearthstone H-II is top exit and NO kits exists for rear flue conversion. Price is great considering they are very expensive.

While they might have been very expensive, the h2 is an obsolete dinosaur and worth very little today. Get a modern stove, the IS is far superior.

Given those two choices . . . the new Woodstock hands down. Newer stove, newer tech. That said, there may be better options for you if shipping costs are prohibitive.