New York State Bans Heating With Firewood This Fall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Pretty sure thats an old article

Reactions: Itslay90
The station is trying to catch eyeballs and/or stir the pot. The article says:

"The State is not considering legislation that would ban wood burning."

Arrest me.

There’s very little chance they could ban wood burning in the north country. There isn’t the infrastructure to supply all the oil, kero, propane and electricity that’d be needed. It’d take years to build it out.

My input is actually read the article not just the headline

Reactions: Itslay90
They know that most people don't get past the headline. The intent of the headline is obviously to play on a bandwagon fallacy that big guvmit is out to get your _____ (fill in the blank). It's an intentional red-herring and false dilemma - the worst kind of journalism, if one could even call it that.

Some places are restricting wood stove and fireplace use. In the city I'm in (Laval, a suburb of Montreal in Canada) wood burning appliances that emit more than 7.5 mg of particles per hour will be banned as of 2025, and any new (not registered as of fall of 2021) needs to meet 2.5 mg of particles or less per hour. Last year I bought a new Drolet Escape 1800 wood stove (great stove btw!) in anticipation of this.

Indeed, there have been burning restrictions in problem areas, especially for urban areas that get temperature inversions trapping the smoke at ground level. That's different from the innuendo of the linked article.

Reactions: vernorz